Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iMessage

Feedback Score

iMessage

I have a few questions about iMessage capabilities, and how much it's like BBM...

-Can you send/receive files/pictures?
    -Can you save conversation history?
    -Can you copy and paste and/or send (e-mail) a whole conversation/history?
    -Can you transfer conversation history to your computer?

Thanks!

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    You can send text, photos, videos, contacts and locations. I don't believe you can save or send conversation history though.
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Backups for iMessage works the same way as the backups for regular messages.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with any of the iOS systems... How do backups for messages work? Can I transfer them from phone to Mac?

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    iTunes backs up all your settings and app data, which includes message history. What I think you're trying to figure out though is if you can export conversations to a data file which can be transmitted or viewed on your computer. If that's the case, then no you cannot.

But iTunes backups (and the new OTA back ups via iCloud) contain your message history which can be restored to the device if you experience a crash.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info! Can I copy and paste a conversation into an e-mail and send it that way? Or is it like text messaging on a BlackBerry, where you can only copy and paste one message at a time (instead of a string of messages)?

Phones
    iPhone 4 16gb
    Nextel (R.I.P.)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flygirlk View Post
    Thanks for the info! Can I copy and paste a conversation into an e-mail and send it that way? Or is it like text messaging on a BlackBerry, where you can only copy and paste one message at a time (instead of a string of messages)?
    I just tried it. Click Edit in the upper right hand corner of text message. Click all the stuff you want to forward on the left (the little circles next to each line of text) then just use an email address in the To area instead of someones phone number.

Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPhone 5 64GB Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for this tip.

Phone
    LG 6070
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It lacks conferences compared to BBM.

To me it's very similar to text messaging (except it uses data instead of texts from your carrier).

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm loving it so far, soooo much faster and more reliable than 3rd party messaging apps (whatsapp, ping chat).

I like how I can go through my list of previous MMS convo's, go to a particular convo, and if the other person has an iPhone with iOS 5, it will automatically have "iMessage" in gray in the text window before you start typing. If the person has a different phone or no iOS 5 yet, it will say "Text Message". That's really nice.

Also I set it up on my phone with my e-mail (my e-mail is used for our iTunes account and both mine and my wife's phone). When I set up my wife's phone, it had my e-mail for iMessage, but then I also added her e-mail. It may have worked fine beforehand, but I didn't try it. I just went ahead and added her e-mail and we can message each other fine. I also just messaged my mom who upgraded her VZW iP4 to iOS 5 and it's working fine there, too.
    iPhone 5 32GB Black, iOS 7.0.4 stock
    Week 43 3GS 16GB Black, iOS 5.1.1 stock, preserved 05.13.04 BB

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    It lacks conferences compared to BBM.

To me it's very similar to text messaging (except it uses data instead of texts from your carrier).
    What is conferences? Is that like group messages? iMessage supports group messages as long as all recipients have iMessage.
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    doesnt it also sync imessage convos over icloud, allowing you to sync them to an ipad or so? or did i just make that up?
    Last edited by outz; 10-20-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    What was your username again? -BOFH

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by outz View Post
    doesnt is also sync imessage convos over icloud, allowing you to sync them to an ipad or so? or did i just make that up?
    No, it doesn't allow the conversations to sync (that would imply current messages would also go over to all the devices) but it does just like Facetime in the sense that when a message is sent to through iMessage (NOT text) it gets sent to all your devices and you can indeed reply from any of your devices, however, your responses are not spread across all the devices.

To clarify, I just sent an iMessage to an ipod. The ipod got it, responded back to my iPhone and the entire conversation was on my iPhone, but when I checked my iPad, only the response from the iPod was there, not my initial imessage that started the conversation. But yes, the conversation (as long as you are getting responses) does get sent to every iDevice that has that iMessage account affiliated with it.

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    one good feature of iMessage is if you are sending a message from your iPhone to someone else iPhone, it will try to deliver it over iMessage...
    if for some reason the message is not delivered to your recipient over iMessage, the iPhone will automatically deliver it over SMS...
    I found this out yesterday when my wife's iPhone was connected to the Internet for some reason... my iPhone sent her an SMS automatically after maybe 1 or 2 minutes that I initially sent the iMessage.

Feedback Score
    So iMessage is supposed to be the BBM killer. To me, the biggest benefit of BBM was being able to give your PIN to someone instead of your phone number. Now we can give our email address. Great. But is it possible to block someone from iMessaging you? I know people that preferred giving their PIN to a casual acquaintance instead of their phone number in case the person turned out to be sketchy. Until this is possible, I still think iMessage is second tier to BBM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast