Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VoIP with iPhone and tablet data only plan

Phone
    k790
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

VoIP with iPhone and tablet data only plan

anyone doing anything similar to this want to give me quick review?
    I'm planning on going with Anveo because they're dirt cheap and have an SMS gateway in Canada (can port my current number and continue receiving SMS) unfortunately they only have outgoing SMS to Rogers and fido so I guess I'll be sending iMessage / emails to belus customers (or calling them to reply to SMS haha)

for my sip client I'll probably go with groundwire, they have a server that registers for sip and sends a push message to the phone on an incoming call which maximises battery life. the caller ID is number only and doesn't look through your contacts to tell you who's calling but at least it's completely free.

so to summarise
    port Rogers number to Anveo
    cut down the sim they give me
    groundwire for sip client

mostly I want to know if the telus hsdpa network is fast and reliable enough for VoIP and if they allow VoIP traffic

I live in Montreal, if that makes a difference

Feedback Score
    Based on where you live, you should have a good overall experience with what you're trying to do. And remember, any network advancements will likely be implemented first in cities such as Montreal.

May I recommended: TELUS data flex for tablets- $5-$35 per month. Basically, under 10 mb usage = $5, and 5GB of usage= $35. There's intervals between two values.

Phone
    k790
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    that's the plan I want Rico

will I have to lie to them and say it's for a tablet, then cut the sim down?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    No need to cut the sim. Just ask them for a microsim when you go.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Phone
    k790
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    does anyone know any differences between this plan and the bell tablet plan? do telus and bell both use traffic shaping on their 3G networks? anyone with experience on VoIP on either network?

the good thing is that I can try one, and if the service is no good I can cancel and switch to the other. 3G data competition in North America? I thought I would never see the day.

Phones
    Galaxy SIII
    Nexus 4/LTE Radio
    iPhone 5
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Cool VOIP and Telus

I have used VOIP on the Telus network.

My configuration is different, I use a laptop with either a Zoom Mobile Router and Telus USB stick or laptop connected via a USB stick.

I have also used 5 different VOIP services over the years, Acanac, MagicJack, 8X8 which is supposed to be business class, Broadvoice and some others.

I think the SIP provider makes all the difference in the world, I use VOIP.ms, they are a Quebec based company, I found their their SIP server in Dallas was better than their SIP servers in Toronto and Montreal. The Dallas server has 7 hops, others have 13 hops or more. It works well with laptop, I have used the service with ASUS eeTransformer as well and Android phone with 3CX softphone.

If you are spending $10 on a SIP client, also look at Bria for iPhone, it is made by Counterpath, they write enterprise class SIP clients.

Issues you may find with VOIP on Telus HSPA network are: VOIP usually works better when connected to VPN, there is a cost and complexity to setting up VPN on HSPA. VOIP always works better with wired connection, this may not be relevant to your configuration, however is important.

The other issue is the quality of your connection, make sure you pick a SIP provider that supports multiple codecs, usually codecs that require less bandwidth like GSM codec.

Here is a link that shows some codecs:

http://www.en.voipforo.com/codec/codecs.php

The VOIP.ms service you pay for what you use, rate are competitive, they have local numbers or porting for most of Canada, US and Europe. They also have toll numbers for incoming.

Please note I am not paid by VOIP.ms, do not receive a referral fee or work for VOIP.ms, it works well. Check it out.

If you are doing this on iPad, make sure you have a working solution for headset, not sure if Apple 3.5mm jack supports voice, I know for sure based on experience that Bluetooth on iPad does not support it, most SIP software does not support Bluetooth. I went through some pain trying to use VOIP with an iPad.

If you do not have the iPad yet, check out the Lenovo ThinkTablet, it has a SIM slot, supports 3G.

This brings up another point, make sure whatever tablet you use, it has the fastest 3G/4G radios, since I use the Sierra Wireless 306 USB modem, it supports up to 21mbps which means I may get 5/6mbps and 2mpbs up, if the tablet radio's are supporting lower speeds, it may be an issue.

Most VOIP experts suggest 128K, I think they are full of crap, VOIP will use extra bandwidth.

It looks like Anveo is like Jajah, Rebtel and to a certain extend Google Voice, they setup link phone number to connect both parties, I have these types of services as well, they are OK, not the best voice quality. Also many of them require a number to connect the call, ie a cell # or landline.

I hope this helps.
    Dave32

Phone
    k790
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I chose groundwire/acrobits because they have push notification servers setup on their end that keep a sip client registered and ready to receive calls, when they do, the iOS client is sent a notification to wake up the app. unfortunately because sip is almost always Udp there is no other way to wake up the app, I tried Bria and if it gets shutdown due to low memory you will not be able to receive incoming calls. as far as I know only acrobits offers this workaround to what is in the end a limitation of iOS.

as for the sip provider, I would like to continue receiving SMS messages sent to the number I will be porting. are you aware of other sip providers that have a Canadian SMS gateway? this is why I chose anveo. I just checked with VoIP.ms and they don't support SMS. I could switch to them after a year perhaps once I've informed every single person who sends me SMS to start emailing or calling me instead.

the device will be (when I get one) an iPhone 4s. I was just using my iPad to test. it's a first gen and doesn't support Bluetooth even with the a4 it takes up to 10 seconds to launch the softphone so I would like to get the fastest possible device to be able to respond to calls without too much of a delay.

the point is that I want just data and to replace my phone service with VoIP without missing phone calls or SMS to my current number, it's a tall order.

currently there are still some cons

1. anveo can only send SMS to Rogers/fido and it costs 4.4 cents per message
    (can recieve SMS from any source though for only 1 cent per message)
    2. caller ID with push messages gives you the phone number but can't look through your contacts to tell you who the number belongs to. this is again a limitation of iOS.

apple could make a killer sip client, but they could also make a killer gps navigation app and they haven't done either.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Could you please inform me if you succeeded in using just a tablet plan with your iPhone? I am trying to do the same but without luck. I am being charged 3$ per MB by Telus. :-(

Thanks for your help.

Phones
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    You must change the APN of the iphone with the APN changer on http://www.unlockit.co.nz

The iphone will automatically use the APN downloaded with the official carrier settings bundle unless you use a corporate profile to override it. Changing it in the network screen doesn't seem to work on an official iphone carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Que_Ball View Post
    You must change the APN of the iphone with the APN changer on http://www.unlockit.co.nz

The iphone will automatically use the APN downloaded with the official carrier settings bundle unless you use a corporate profile to override it. Changing it in the network screen doesn't seem to work on an official iphone carrier.
    Hi Que_Ball

Thanks for the fast reply.

Could you please give me more information, I am afraid I don't completely understand your answer. At first you sugest me to go on the website unlockit.co.nz in orer to download the APN. In your second paragraph you write that I will need a corporate profile to override it. Is the "corporate profile" that you are talking about the same as the APN profile which can be downloaded on unlockit.co.nz?

Have you tried this option on the Telus network?

Many thanks upfront for your help. Highly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    use isp.telus.com APN !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cedqc418 View Post
    use isp.telus.com APN !
    Hi,

isp.telus.com is the APN by default. I am being charged the full price. Customer service told me to change it to sp.telus.com but with the same result, high price.

For your information, I am using a normal sim card, no micro-sim

Thanks for your input.

Phones
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    That unlockit.co.nz website generates the profile. You can also download the apple deployment kit, obtain a digital certificate for signing and generate the files yourself if you like but that website is much easier to use. You must visit that website using safari on your phone. Going to the page on your desktop browser will direct you to their blog. (If you want to visit on your desktop and see what the phone would see you need to change your useragent in your browser to match what the iphone browser sends)

You can verify if you have successfully changed the APN by viewing your data usage on the Telusmobility.com/youraccount website.
    You click on the date to view the detailed usage for that date.
    If it shows your usage as "AirCard" then you are using the isp.telus.com APN and will not be billed at $3/MB on the tablet plan.
    If it shows you "PDA" then your phone is still using the sp.telus.com APN and you will be billed the pay per use rate.

If you think that simply typing in the APN into the Network settings works then you didn't comprehend what I said earlier. I am trying to tell you that the iphone IGNORES THIS SETTING SCREEN ON AN OFFICIAL IPHONE CARRIER LIKE TELUS when it has downloaded the carrier settings file for Telus it will always use the settings in that file instead of what you type in. You may think you changed the APN but the phone is not honouring your settings and is using the wrong ones in the carrier settings file it downloaded automatically. This is a result of Apple trying to "help" you out by using the official and approved settings they have on file for the carrier when what you really want is to use an alternate APN that goes against the settings in that file.

Here is a link to basically an identical thread. The girl who did it posted some nice pictures of her account showing the difference in the billing after she switched the APN using the website to install the new APN profile.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6#post14711786

And just in case you don't follow the link here is a quote from that post:
    Quote Originally Posted by vancitygl View Post
    Hopefully the last post in this thread. So I finally had the chance to switch the APN using the unlockit site. Looks like it works:

So as long as I don't tinker with the APN, it should remain as isp.telus.com and Aircard should show up? Because as you can see, pay per use is really really expensive (in just under a week)!
    Remember on the Flex plan for Tablets PDA=Bad and AirCard=Good!

And BTW. Do not phone customer service because you screwed up the settings required for this "hack" to work.

Feedback Score
    Hi Que_Ball,

Many thanks for the help. It works like a charm!

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlienail View Post
    I chose groundwire/acrobits because they have push notification servers setup on their end that keep a sip client registered and ready to receive calls, when they do, the iOS client is sent a notification to wake up the app. unfortunately because sip is almost always Udp there is no other way to wake up the app, I tried Bria and if it gets shutdown due to low memory you will not be able to receive incoming calls. as far as I know only acrobits offers this workaround to what is in the end a limitation of iOS.

as for the sip provider, I would like to continue receiving SMS messages sent to the number I will be porting. are you aware of other sip providers that have a Canadian SMS gateway? this is why I chose anveo. I just checked with VoIP.ms and they don't support SMS. I could switch to them after a year perhaps once I've informed every single person who sends me SMS to start emailing or calling me instead.

the device will be (when I get one) an iPhone 4s. I was just using my iPad to test. it's a first gen and doesn't support Bluetooth even with the a4 it takes up to 10 seconds to launch the softphone so I would like to get the fastest possible device to be able to respond to calls without too much of a delay.

the point is that I want just data and to replace my phone service with VoIP without missing phone calls or SMS to my current number, it's a tall order.

currently there are still some cons

1. anveo can only send SMS to Rogers/fido and it costs 4.4 cents per message
    (can recieve SMS from any source though for only 1 cent per message)
    2. caller ID with push messages gives you the phone number but can't look through your contacts to tell you who the number belongs to. this is again a limitation of iOS.

apple could make a killer sip client, but they could also make a killer gps navigation app and they haven't done either.
    Hi there
    I'm looking to do the same thing as you are. Have you gotten things going yet? If so, please tell me about your experience. Thanks in advance

I'm currently with Fido, no contract, with an iPhone 4 bought from a third party. Fido refuses to unlock it for me because the original buyer is still on contract. I guess i'll have to get either a telus or unlocked iphone.

As far as i know, telus seems to be the best provider to do this on, because many others have done so successfully. I was initially considering Line2, which charges $10 for unlimited phone calls and sms in us and Canada, but they haven't been able to provide sms in Canada as of yet. I recently came across a new Canadian company, www.getgeorgemobile.com, that is offering something similar for $7 a month. They recently submitted their iPhone app to apple and expect it to be ready very soon. I'm going to try this out first, as it seems quite good. If things don't work out, then anveo is my backup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast