Feedback Score

Do I really need iCloud?

I have only iPhone4 with iOS5. I do not have any other Apple Device and neither my friends 2. I sync all i need via Google sync for my Android phone as well as the i4. If i were to change another iPhone i can get all my Applications and contacts thru iTunes. Do do i really need iCloud? And another thing syncing using both iCloud and google does not make sense, does it?

Sent from my iPhone

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would set it up, if only for "Find My iPhone" which now runs through iCloud. If you try logging into MobileMe for it, it refers you to iCloud.com. iCloud also syncs/backs up your app data and photos. I don't know if Google Sync does or not because I have never used it.
    Sent from my iPhone via the HoFo app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmreekes View Post
    I would set it up, if only for "Find My iPhone" which now runs through iCloud. If you try logging into MobileMe for it, it refers you to iCloud.com. iCloud also syncs/backs up your app data and photos. I don't know if Google Sync does or not because I have never used it.
    I will, thanks. I still need to know what will happen if i select sync photos since i now sync photos via iTunes with iPhoto.

Feedback Score
    And another problem,when i select an item to sync with iCloud it refers me to set an account with mobile me not icloud. What does this mean?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Are you trying to set it up through your phone or computer? iCloud has to be set up either through your phone or a Mac running OS X lion 10.7.2(I think this is the version number). Your iCloud Id can be anything including your iTunes Id but for mail to sync to iCloud you have to have a .me address which is free, although if you use gmail or yahoo mail or something simar then syncing mail is not necessary. IIRC I got a prompt to set a .me address up when I checked the mail to on.

As far as photos, when iCloud backs up it will back up your photo album as well similar to what you do now with iPhotos but instead does it wirelessly. Photostream syncs photos that you take to iCloud as well to your other devices. But not photos already on your phone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks,i am trying to set thru my phone.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Motorola Q9 Global (retired after three years)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Would be nice if they some how could integrate gmail into the icloud.
    1,000 posts 2:52 p.m March 11th, 2007
    2,000 posts 8:24 a.m February 24th, 2008

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPyle View Post
    You DO realize you don't need to route every email through iCloud, right? Just put it in your mail app.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB (curr)
    iPhone 3G 8GB (prev)
    UTStarCom 6700 (prev)
    Feedback Score
    iCloud backup let's you backup your configuration automatically , and do a restore without a computer that will include your configuration, purchased apps and purchased songs.

I activated iCloud on my 3GS then when I was in the store getting my 4S a few days later I was able to activate and restore my config to the new phone over wifi. The only thing still tied to iTunes was my "other" music and media files.

iCloud removes the main dependencies on having a pc and iTunes to setup a phone.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Are you trying to set it up through your phone or computer? iCloud has to be set up either through your phone or a Mac running OS X lion 10.7.2(I think this is the version number). Your iCloud Id can be anything including your iTunes Id but for mail to sync to iCloud you have to have a .me address which is free, although if you use gmail or yahoo mail or something simar then syncing mail is not necessary. IIRC I got a prompt to set a .me address up when I checked the mail to on.

As far as photos, when iCloud backs up it will back up your photo album as well similar to what you do now with iPhotos but instead does it wirelessly. Photostream syncs photos that you take to iCloud as well to your other devices. But not photos already on your phone.
    Apple has the iCloud Setup Utility for Windows. A Mac isn't required for iCloud or Mobile Me. Both are available Windows Control Panel installers available for download from Apple's support page downloads.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPyle View Post
    Have your gmail forwarded to your me.com email. The mail still comes instantly and you have several options on what to do with the original, keep, archive, or delete it. That is the method I'm runnig as I determine what route I want to take but I'm leaning hard towards all iCloud.

Feedback Score
    I would set it up, if only for "Find My iPhone" which now runs through iCloud. If you try logging into MobileMe for it, it refers you to iCloud.com.

This is the only reason why I have iCloud enabled on my devices, otherwise I wouldn't use it.

I just don't feel comfortable with syncing everything up to iCloud at this time, so I still manually sync everything to my iTunes.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Motorola Q9 Global (retired after three years)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    Have your gmail forwarded to your me.com email. The mail still comes instantly and you have several options on what to do with the original, keep, archive, or delete it. That is the method I'm runnig as I determine what route I want to take but I'm leaning hard towards all iCloud.
    Thought about it but I really don't want to be dealing with two IDs.

Phone
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Feedback Score
    I use both iCloud and gSyncit but iCloud creates seperate folder in Outlook and move all Contacts, Calender event and Tasks into the iCloud folders while Outlook seems dislike Contacts and Tasks in folder other than the default location. Every time when re-open Outlook will go to am empty default location unless re-selecting the iCloud folder. Anyway I prefer iCloud since it will instantly synchronize every single item when any event and task change. I have set gSyncit to synchronize when quiting Outlook. gSyncit seems taking a longer time each time to synchonize Contacts (no change in both Outlook nor Google) until unchecking Google contact back to Outlook. When creating or changing any item in Outlook, a warning message appear saying the reminder cannot be added since it is in folder that Outlook not support. Actually the item can be saved with reminder and sync to iCloud. I wonder Apple should update the Windows iCloud setup not to create seperate folder but using the default location just like what gSyncit did may solve this issue.
    Angler

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 (Retired)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angler2005 View Post
    I use both iCloud and gSyncit but iCloud creates seperate folder in Outlook and move all Contacts, Calender event and Tasks into the iCloud folders while Outlook seems dislike Contacts and Tasks in folder other than the default location. Every time when re-open Outlook will go to am empty default location unless re-selecting the iCloud folder. Anyway I prefer iCloud since it will instantly synchronize every single item when any event and task change. I have set gSyncit to synchronize when quiting Outlook. gSyncit seems taking a longer time each time to synchonize Contacts (no change in both Outlook nor Google) until unchecking Google contact back to Outlook. When creating or changing any item in Outlook, a warning message appear saying the reminder cannot be added since it is in folder that Outlook not support. Actually the item can be saved with reminder and sync to iCloud. I wonder Apple should update the Windows iCloud setup not to create seperate folder but using the default location just like what gSyncit did may solve this issue.
    Why not just use Google Exchange Sync with the iPhone to sync with Google and iCloud? http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252
    ~DWin -

iPhone 5

Someday they'll see the light. Or they won't, either way I don't care. I'll keep shining.

Phones I've owned