Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cdma- s,v, gsm-a or t?

Feedback Score

Cdma- s,v, gsm-a or t?

I live in SWFL, and plan on going with ST and bringing a galaxy s2 with me somehow, which whether or not is another thread. But assuming I can with either a CDMA or GSM version, which network should I aim to go with?

Reading through the forums you get so much info that doesn't really average out to anything so clear. I read somewhere that the GSM network ST uses is at&t's slower one, whatever that means (2g?, edge?) And I also read somewhere something similar about their CDMA network. And then you see people's speed test records of mbps, which looks amazing, so I'm just left clueless.

Sent from my Eris using HowardForums

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    The only way you'll get a SGS2 on ST is by using the GSM SGS2 and pulling the SIM card from the ST Nokia Smartphone.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-stop-asking)

The Nokia smartphones on ST are all GSM-A(T&T). They can get 3G speeds on AT&T as long as AT&T has 3G/HSPA in the area.

Feedback Score
    Thanks

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
    I live in SWFL, and plan on going with ST and bringing a galaxy s2 with me somehow, which whether or not is another thread. But assuming I can with either a CDMA or GSM version, which network should I aim to go with?

Reading through the forums you get so much info that doesn't really average out to anything so clear. I read somewhere that the GSM network ST uses is at&t's slower one, whatever that means (2g?, edge?) And I also read somewhere something similar about their CDMA network. And then you see people's speed test records of mbps, which looks amazing, so I'm just left clueless.

What network are you using the SGSII on currently? If it's AT&T then there should be really no difference except ST being your service provider. Coverage will be the same.

However if you service with AT&T sucks than it doesn't make sense to go with ST GSM-A.

If you have the T-Mobile version of the SGSII make sure you get ST GSM-T or else no 3G data speeds.

Best thing I recommend is to talk to friends and family who have any of the big 4 carriers and see what they say about the service/coverage in your area. That way just choose the one that has best coverage/service and go with it. If your SGSII is not compatible with the ST CDMA S or V or ST GSM-T, you can sell your SGSII and buy the correct one and use it.

Hope this helps!

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls_rsx87 View Post
    What network are you using the SGSII on currently? If it's AT&T then there should be really no difference except ST being your service provider. Coverage will be the same.

However if you service with AT&T sucks than it doesn't make sense to go with ST GSM-A.

If you have the T-Mobile version of the SGSII make sure you get ST GSM-T or else no 3G data speeds.

Best thing I recommend is to talk to friends and family who have any of the big 4 carriers and see what they say about the service/coverage in your area. That way just choose the one that has best coverage/service and go with it. If your SGSII is not compatible with the ST CDMA S or V or ST GSM-T, you can sell your SGSII and buy the correct one and use it.

Hope this helps!
    This ONLY works with AT&T. The ONLY Straight Talk phones that have unlocked SIM cards are the Nokia smartphones and they run exclusively on AT&T's network. It is not possible to make any CDMA phone that is not branded Straight Talk with a Straight Talk ESN work on their network.

Also you have to buy a Nokia for the SIM and must activate the SIM installed in the Nokia. You cannot use the Nokia or sell it either because they will deactivate your SIM. I've also heard they will know if you call the customer service on a non Straight Talk phone with a Straight Talk SIM in it and they will deactivate it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the interesting info. Btw, I don't gave an s2 yet. I'm still shopping carriers. I've been reluctant to choose either boost or ST because I've read they don't use fastest mmm... technology from their respective parent co's but just testing out this e5 it seems pretty fast, the internet at least.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Internet with the E5 SIM on ST will definitely be faster than Boost.

Sent from my Inspire 4G

Feedback Score
    Do u say that from experience?

Feedback Score
    Id almost have to almost agree based on my experiences with sprint and at&t in the past. I used to have at&t years ago and I've played with people's phones for sprint. But is this something with their technology or my area here in for myers,fl(SWFL)?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I have seen a EVO 4G flashed to Boost and speedtests were about 1mbps. AT&T 3G has a higher max speed than Sprint's EVDO 3G.

With all the new iPhone 4S users on Sprint, their data speeds have been dropping.

Sent from my Inspire 4G

Feedback Score
    Ah, interesting.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
    Thanks for the interesting info. Btw, I don't gave an s2 yet. I'm still shopping carriers. I've been reluctant to choose either boost or ST because I've read they don't use fastest mmm... technology from their respective parent co's but just testing out this e5 it seems pretty fast, the internet at least.

The SGS-2 gets you the full HSPA"4g" speed on ATT using the nokia sim switch. I average around 3mbps on the SGS-2. I cant comment about Boost, but ST has the full ATT postpaid network without throttling, if you use more than 2GB or stream excessively, you have a good chance of being kicked out by ST. The 2 GB is a rough approximation based on HOFO users estimation.
    If ATT works for you then this will be a good workaround, your other option is to use Redpocket which is a ATT mvno(will use ATT prepaid network) and has a similar plan with the 2GB limit upfront for 60usd(but you wont need to buy a 180$nokia, so it will work out). below is a link.
    http://goredpocket.com/plans

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    As previously stated, Straight Talk's BYOD is limited to the Nokia Smartphones' "P" SIM and is only for AT&T's network. You'll get the same 3G speeds as other AT&T customers in the same area - the catch with Straight Talk, however, is the inconsistent, yet rather harsh, enforcement of their "excessive data use" policy.

Boost is an entirely different animal. It runs on Sprint's native network only, so coverage can be sparse or nonexistent in some areas. BYOD is limited to two different methods - one is a loophole that allows older (non-Android) Sprint devices to be activated by social engineering a customer service representative to put it on your account, the other involves legally questionable phone altering that HoFo doesn't allow discussion of. The former doesn't really get you any good phones and the latter is hard to find information about, aside from shady sellers offering the service (caveat emptor applies, strongly). Boost's Internet speeds are limited to Sprint's 3G network and can be up to 2mbit/s, but realistically you can expect speeds between 200kbit/s and 1.5mbit/s. Unlike Straight Talk, it really is unlimited - I haven't heard of anyone being booted from Boost for using "too much" data on their phone.

Another option to consider is T-Mobile, they do have some decent new prepaid plans now. While the Internet access with them isn't unlimited and their Galaxy S II is probably one of the most expensive variants, you don't have to worry about being booted for "busting your cap" - they'll simply throttle you back to dialup speeds until your next billing cycle. Depending on your local T-Mobile coverage, your speeds can be anywhere from "painful to browse even in text-only mode" GPRS to blazing fast 4G-like.

Phones
    iPhone 4s
    iPhone 5 Sprint
    Blackberry 8530 Boostmobile/iPhone 4s (Sprint/Straight Talk/Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Sprint (2000-Present) Straight Talk AT&T SIM (2012) Page Plus Cellular (2012)
    Telcel Amigo Prepaid Mexico(2011-Present) Nokia 252N with Telcel(1999) and Iusacell(2000)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Yes, I have seen a EVO 4G flashed to Boost and speedtests were about 1mbps. AT&T 3G has a higher max speed than Sprint's EVDO 3G.

With all the new iPhone 4S users on Sprint, their data speeds have been dropping.

Sent from my Inspire 4G
    It all depends in your area. The iphone doenst have an impact on the sprint network.

Look at my speed

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/158849551.png
    Sprint User Since 2000 & AT&T GoPhone since 2013
    Free 3G Verizon Roaming with custom PRL

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cell View Post
    It all depends in your area. The iphone doenst have an impact on the sprint network.

Look at my speed

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/158849551.png
    Sprint speeds does not equal Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile USA speeds though.
    The MVNO customers of Sprint always get slower speeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast