Thread: Unlocking VoiceStream Nokia 5190

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score

Unlocking VoiceStream Nokia 5190

For those who are not old enough to remember VoiceStream is the carrier which later became T-mobile USA.

I have a Nokia 5190 purchased during the VoiceStream era. It only accepted the original SIM card which ended up being replaced a couple of years ago. Since then I have been unable to use the Nokia 5190 anymore because it does not accept the newer SIM cards. The only way to get the phone to accept the newer SIM cards is by unlocking but I have had some difficulty doing so.

I tried two times by calling customer service but the codes given were not accepted.

If anyone can recommend a good site which can unlock this phone it would be greatly appreciated that way I could use the phone again and possibly sell later.

One website I could possibly use is cellunlocker.net which I found from the signature of howard but I'm not sure if it's safe to use the T-mobile option.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I used this website to unlock my 5190 (also locked to VoiceStream) for free: http://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/nokia_unlock.php

Unfortunately I still can't use it because I'm on AT&T and it seems coverage in my area (Dallas) is now 850-only, even though I know there was 1900 a few years ago. Or, there's something else I need to do to get it to connect to the AT&T network. It shows no signal. Bummer.

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekk View Post
    I used this website to unlock my 5190 (also locked to VoiceStream) for free: http://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/nokia_unlock.php

Unfortunately I still can't use it because I'm on AT&T and it seems coverage in my area (Dallas) is now 850-only, even though I know there was 1900 a few years ago. Or, there's something else I need to do to get it to connect to the AT&T network. It shows no signal. Bummer.
    Unfortunately I was unable to get my phone unlocked using the above website. Shame since I actually wanted to use the phone again since I myself also live in an at&t 850Mhz area with Verizon on 1900Mhz (go figure) but the phone will be used on T-mobile.

I also have the opportunity of using the phone on my travels to Mexico since Telcel and Movistar still maintain a 2G network that utilized 1900Mhz.

Maybe I might bite the bullet and choose to pay for an unlock code after all

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    After reading a bunch of pages about DCT3 Nokia modification, I'm convinced that AT&T still has 1900 coverage in my area (I know it used to!) and that it's just a software issue that's preventing the 5190 from recognizing the network (maybe the new AT&T network has a different MCC/MNC code or something, but I have no idea if that'd lead to the 5190 not recognizing it).

I think I'm going to build one of those "FBUS cables" and see if I can modify my phone's firmware.

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I could try that along with other websites providing there is a fair return policy in place that could back me up in case the unlock fails.

If the websites are still unable then leaves me no other choice but to seek a cell phone shop in my area that hopefully has a hardware unlock device or just deal with having another phone I can't use.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    The Nokia 5190, 6190 and 1100 (non-ENS) has a memory issue that prevents it from using any SIM card newer/larger than the older 32K SIM cards. When Cingular/New ATT came out with the 64K SIM they sent notices to previous and current users of those phones of the problem if they upgrade/replace their old 16K and or 32K SIM cards to the newer 64K SIM, their phones would not work as they would freeze up and or reboot over and over again. Most current AT&T (Cingular/New ATT) customers have either the National, 3G/UMTS or 3G/4G SIM cards which are 64K based.

I was able to unlock my Pacific Bell Wireless Nokia 5190 a long time ago using one of those DCT3 calculator codes. I was able to use my (still at the time working) AT&T Wireless SIM and my T-Mobile SIM. When I tried using my 64K National SIM from the new Cingular/new ATT, it froze and rebooted over and over.

No sense in trying to pay some site for an unlock code if your SIM from AT&T is current (i.e. activated after 2006).

Not sure if T-Mobile secretly moved on to the newer 64K based SIM cards as I last had them back in 2008 and the SIM I had was activated back in 2003.

Better off looking for an unlocked Nokia 3590/3595 or 6010 for cheap instead of trying to unlock and re-use the 5190. At least those older phones were able to use the newer SIM cards.

As for selling it, not even worth posting it unless you want to sell it as a cool alarm clock.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.