Thread: Prepaid iPhone - what doesn't work ?

Feedback Score

Prepaid iPhone - what doesn't work ?

I was wondering a few things about using an iPhone on a prepaid plan:

1. Does visual voice still work ? or do i still need to call in to listen to it ?

2. Could prepaid mins be used for data ? or do i just need to "add on" a data plan (fido prepaid)

3. iMessage.. does that work on prepaid ?... or will i just have to stick w/ texting...does it use cellular data ?

or if anyone had any problems w/ there prepaid iPhones post below and share !

Feedback Score
    I am currently using Rogers Prepaid with iPhone 4. I have been using it for a year now, while I can't answer all your questions, I can answer a couple of them...

1) No idea, I disabled voicemail as Rogers charges you money when people leave you messages on your VM.
    2) You put money into your prepaid account... that money can be used for either minutes or data... a data plan of $25 per month for 500MB will cost you $25 from your pot of money... each call will take whatever amount the cost from your pot of money...
    3) iMessage works perfectly. It takes from your data plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duglyduckling View Post
    I am currently using Rogers Prepaid with iPhone 4. I have been using it for a year now, while I can't answer all your questions, I can answer a couple of them...

1) No idea, I disabled voicemail as Rogers charges you money when people leave you messages on your VM.
    2) You put money into your prepaid account... that money can be used for either minutes or data... a data plan of $25 per month for 500MB will cost you $25 from your pot of money... each call will take whatever amount the cost from your pot of money...
    3) iMessage works perfectly. It takes from your data plan.
    I have an iPhone 4 on Rogers prepaid and using the voicemail option.
    1) Visual voice mail does not work, you just have plain voice mail.
    2 and 3) what he said.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the info !

Did you need to change the APN ?

Feedback Score
    No... just pop in the Micro-SIM or cut-down SIM card and it'll connect right away.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    You're SOL for any sort of Voicemail on Rogers Prepaid, as both regular voicemail & call forwarding options are pay per use and prohibitively expensive.

It's a major disadvantage to prepaid on rogers.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    You're SOL for any sort of Voicemail on Rogers Prepaid, as both regular voicemail & call forwarding options are pay per use and prohibitively expensive.

It's a major disadvantage to prepaid on rogers.
    I guess that depends on how you define "prohibitively expensive"... I had voice mail on my Rogers prepaid account and I didn't feel like it added much to the overall cost. In general if you expect to receive a lot of call, then postpaid is the cheaper way to go.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I definte "prohibitively expensive" as spending, on averge, 1.50$ - 2$ per day on voicemail.

You get charged airtime even if people hangup and don't leave a message. You get charged even to check your messages from a landline. It works out to something like 90 cents per voicemail left and checked, plus any time your miss a call and a message is not left.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    I definte "prohibitively expensive" as spending, on averge, 1.50$ - 2$ per day on voicemail.

You get charged airtime even if people hangup and don't leave a message. You get charged even to check your messages from a landline. It works out to something like 90 cents per voicemail left and checked, plus any time your miss a call and a message is not left.
    I wanted to clarify this further. The moment that caller goes to voice mail even if they hang up before the beep and don't leave a message, there is a charge for it of 1 minute.

Let's say for example, your battery dies. While your battery is dead (or your phone is powered off), all calls go to voice mail. You can find that the phone's balance dropped by a lot even if there are no voice mail messages waiting for you (because all callers hung up before the beep).

I did the exact same thing as others. I cancelled my voice mail for my Rogers prepaid account. I use the call display to call people back and based on the people who call me, it works in most cases.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" LG Nexus-4

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10

Red Pocket Mobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

My Tech Blog