Thread: Used Phone IMEI check

Feedback Score

Used Phone IMEI check

I'd like to sign up for the new $30 unlimited data/text prepaid plan but would prefer to purchase a used T-mobile android phone instead of buying the Dart from Walmart. I'm currently on Net10. My question is how to verify the ability to activate a used T-mobile phone PRIOR to purchase. That is, I don't want to buy a stolen phone that is blackballed. I called T-mobile customer service 3 times to ask just that question and never got an answer. In fact, I'm not sure they understood what I was asking. I see if I got to the T-mobile online activation page the first step is to enter the SIM number, activation number and IMEI. I would guess that if it was not a clean IMEI it would be kicked out at this step. Is this the only way to be assured I'm buying a legit phone? If I do so and the phone is blackballed, I hope the SIM and activation number is still available for used with the next phone IMEI tried.

Anybody have any experience with buying used T-mobile phones and trying to be assured you are not getting stuck with a phone that they will not activate for you?

Thanks.

Phone
    Note II Repaired after SDS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I've been told that Tmobile does not use IMEI blacklists. As such I have bought and used many TMobile used phone w/o worrying if its stolen. They all worked.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm by no means an expert on these things. But from my understanding, the ESN found with CDMA is typically the stopping point for those who try to activate a phone that's not legit. GSM phones, again from my limited understanding, are much more flexible due to the replaceable sim card.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Deleted post

Carriers
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drooper View Post
    <snip>
    Anybody have any experience with buying used T-mobile phones and trying to be assured you are not getting stuck with a phone that they will not activate for you?

Thanks.
    GSM cell services, including T-Mobile, activate the SIM, not the phone. So if the phone works, and your'e using a new SIM card, you're ok.
    Now Tracfone free!

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info!

Phones
    Optimus T
    Optimus T
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I just activated a prepaid SIM on TMO website using the 999* IMEI. Activated fine and has been running for a few days with no problem.
    Inspire 4G: CM7 official, 16gb sdhc. TMO PAYG (no data)
    My android page

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
    I just activated a prepaid SIM on TMO website using the 999* IMEI. Activated fine and has been running for a few days with no problem.
    What do you mean by "the 999* IMEI"? Is this a special number that can be used for any activation?

I'm asking because I've been unsuccessful in signing up for the new $30 Monthly4G plan online. I bought a T-Mobile 4G phone from eBay to use, and I'm pretty sure it was from a responsible owner who moved on to a new phone. After selecting the plan in their online process, I get an error page that tells me to call a customer service number. It doesn't explain why the activation failed, but I'm assuming it's due to my IMEI. I've read about other people's experiences with this same problem.

I've read that it's impossible or extremely difficult to activate the new $30 plan through customer service, so I'm hoping there's something I can enter for the IMEI to get me through the online activation.

Any help's appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Buy a $20 or less prepaid Tmobile phone, activate with that. Transfer the sim from that phone to your other phone. Done.

Phones
    Optimus T
    Optimus T
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yehp View Post
    What do you mean by "the 999* IMEI"?
    9s all the way across instead of the actual IMEI of the phone. I don't remember how many digits there are, so wildcarded (*) them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
    9s all the way across instead of the actual IMEI of the phone. I don't remember how many digits there are, so wildcarded (*) them.
    Thanks, that worked perfectly. I got my activation text message right away.
    I wish I had known this trick a week ago!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yehp View Post
    What do you mean by "the 999* IMEI"? Is this a special number that can be used for any activation?

I'm asking because I've been unsuccessful in signing up for the new $30 Monthly4G plan online. I bought a T-Mobile 4G phone from eBay to use, and I'm pretty sure it was from a responsible owner who moved on to a new phone. After selecting the plan in their online process, I get an error page that tells me to call a customer service number. It doesn't explain why the activation failed, but I'm assuming it's due to my IMEI. I've read about other people's experiences with this same problem.

I've read that it's impossible or extremely difficult to activate the new $30 plan through customer service, so I'm hoping there's something I can enter for the IMEI to get me through the online activation.

Any help's appreciated, and thanks in advance!
    I had the same problem with the website I had to call customer service. The reps themselves can't do it. The rep put me on the 30 dollar 1500 minute plan and his supervisor switched it to the 100 minute unlimited text unlimited data then everything was golden. Not too difficult just tell them the website isn't working.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk