Thread: T-Mobile prepaid vs PagePlus

Feedback Score

T-Mobile prepaid vs PagePlus

Basic info:

T-Mobile 30 plan- 100min/unltd txt/5 gb "4g"
    T-Mobile 60 plan- unlimited talk & text/ 2gb "4g"

PagePlus 29.95 plan- 1200min/3000txt/100mb 10$ gets you a extra 100mb 25$ gets your 250mb
    PagePlus 55 plan - unlimited talk and text/300mb

Pageplus runs off verizon and data speeds and coverage same as postplan. BYOD 3g smartphones! iphone and 4g lte phones work with work!

doing the pageplus 29.95 plan now, and so far im doing good on it, just hate that the data is LOW to even get use out of it but i have wifi pretty much anywhere i go. and coverage and signal is great(of course) BUT my question is i want to do either the 60 plan on T-mobile. Don't have a tmobile store in my area(you can buy prepaid phones of tmobile anywhere though) does tmobile not penetrate buildings good at all? My friend has tmobile plan and he's not from my area he goes to school down here though, in ANY Business buildings(and i mean ANY) he has no signal at all! but at home, apt, and everywhere else its perfect! 3G speeds here for tmobile are around 2-5down (to me thats great) but you think its worth justify the coverage ( while im out in stores) for more data useage or just stay with pageplus??? i keep tossing the ideal saying that its not that big of a deal if i dont have service inside the mall, but when i walk out i have full bars. but the other side says that stupid lol! If its something that normal then i can probably live with it. Since its prepaid.

Any help i thank in advance

Feedback Score
    It's a tradeoff. On byod, they are Tmobile has some advantages but PPC is pretty darn good for a cdma carrier.
    It comes down to data vs coverage. Tmobile has the former, Page Plus has the latter.

Feedback Score
    One hand i can have data BUT 78% working signal phone. Or i can have a phone i know that works anywhere i go BUT with 300mb is a JOKE! I know its verizon doing and not really nothing pageplus can do but seriously its sad. I wish PPC had something in the line of nationpcs with the 1gb cap in the 60-70 range ill be a ppc customer for a LONG TIME then!

Feedback Score
    Nobody has it all. If they did, everyone would only use that one carrier (low prices, unlimited data, best coverage, byod, etc). Will never happen.

Phone
    Nokia 5230 Nuron
    Carrier
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Whether Verizon or T-Mobile has better covergase in any given building is completely depending on the location of the building. You can't really generalize. Some buildings happen to be located closer to a Verizon tower and hence you will get better reception with them; other buildings happen to be locaed closer to a T-Mobile tower and hence you will get better reception with them. The building where I work happens to get better reception with T-Mobile. The specific phone you use always plays a role - some just get better reception than others.

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    mmm which is more pathetic? 100min/mo or 100MB/mo...

get a world phone and you can eliminate the pathetic A phone like the TP2 can do both Verizon/PagePlus CDMA *and* Tmo. So you could make PPC your main plan for $30/mo and then tack on Tmo Days at $2/day for the days you need unlimited data or lotsa voice, or do the whole $30/mo Tmo for a total of $60/mo for unlimited voice, text, data and Verizon coverage Use Google Voice to sorta integrate the two numbers...

the iphone 4s could also do this hardware-wise, but I don't think its been hacked that way yet...

(that's whack)

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Wi-fi calling

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKizzle View Post
    Don't have a tmobile store in my area(you can buy prepaid phones of tmobile anywhere though) does tmobile not penetrate buildings good at all? My friend has tmobile plan and he's not from my area he goes to school down here though, in ANY Business buildings(and i mean ANY) he has no signal at all! but at home, apt, and everywhere else its perfect!
    I recently bought an Optimus T, then went on a trip where I was out and about in Boston, using T-Mobile of course. I made good use of calling over wi-fi. On Android phones, T-mobile includes a feature that can route normal calls over wi-fi. The minutes are charged against the user's plan as normal, but the connection may be better. The feature was easy to use and indeed gave good voice connections. Two of my main locations had wi-fi that I was permitted to use, and so did Finagle-A-Bagel, Panera Bread, etc.

Back home in Maryland, the wi-fi feature will let me talk in some important locations where the T-mobile signal is poor or absent.

It may help you out, if wi-fi is there when you need it. The phone automatically connects to T-mobile through a known wi-fi connection.

On a different topic, I took the train from Washington DC to Boston and back. The T-mobile cell signal was available for much of the trip, including long stretches with a good signal. Other carriers may be better at providing a signal while the train is in certain stations, but there were plenty of opportunities to make calls. I put an app on the phone called GPS Test. It pulled in the GPS signal through the windows and gave a reading of train speed. We did about 100 miles per hour inside the Capital Beltway and up to 120 or 125 in many places. Older GPS equipment did not work for me on board trains.

For charging gadgets, there was 120-volt AC service, even in coach. To my knowledge, Amtrak promises electrical outlets in business class, which includes all Acela express trains. But on recent trips, AC power has also been available in coach.

Feedback Score
    So wifi calling works on prepaid??? If so that will SOLVE my friends problem on signal in buildings, and make me a new tmobile customer!

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaKizzle View Post
    So wifi calling works on prepaid??? If so that will SOLVE my friends problem on signal in buildings, and make me a new tmobile customer!
    Keep in mind that t-mobile wifi calling does use your plan minutes. If you want minute-free calling you'll have to use Google Voice in conjunction with GrooVe IP.
    GS3 T999 on T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    Have been using Line2 app and it does not use minutes while on wifi, however, if no wifi available, it will use your minutes. A great app with excellent call quality and support if a problem. On my Optimus T, I prefer this app over the Optimus on the network as the app gives me much more robust and clear voice quality. Try it free for 7 days and see if it works for you.

Phone
    LG Optimus F6 (Unlocked, Rooted, & De-bloated)
    Carrier
    Ptel, Lyca, AirVoice
    Feedback Score
    There's a good Android app called Groove IP that uses data to call over VoiP, not using plan minutes. Some people have reported success on the $30 tmobile plan, basically overcoming the 100 min talk limit.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does wi-fi calling work on prepaid? I was on the 1500 minutes or SMS plan, which is prepaid. I have no reason to think that wi-fi calling would not work on pay-by-the-minute.

I am reverting to pay-by-the-minute in a couple days, however my Optimus T Android phone is "in the shop." I had to return it under the warranty for a problem unrelated to making calls.

The Optimus is my first smartphone. It is, of course, one of the cheapest. I was surprised to find that the features and most of the apps work so smoothly. For example, wi-fi calling has its own little icon. Android has a status bar across the top that remains visible during most activities. I can't check the exact behavior right now, but a small icon does appear in the status bar when wi-fi calling is turned on. Also, a separate icon shows the strength of the wi-fi signal, and the bars of the normal (GSM) signal strength indication turn all gray, reminding you that you do not need the signal from a tower to make or receive calls. At various times a message appears to remind the user that "Wi-fi calling uses plan minutes."

Hotspots do vary. In your home, say, you might enter the router's password once and the phone remembers it. After that, if you have wi-fi calling enabled, you will connect automatically to that hotspot. In some coffee shops, the router may be open, but you need to open a browser and click a button. Your mileage may vary.

Wi-fi calling is on or off and that applies for all calls through the T-mobile network. I also enabled the Skype app, with the intention only to use it through wi-fi, if at all. Skype can be used in the familiar way, by starting the Skype app, then choosing from Skype's contact list. However, each time I dialed a call, the software inquired if I wanted to complete the call through the dialer or through Skype. I believe the query can be turned off, but it is the default behavior.

The phone also inquired if I wanted the regular contact list to be merged with the Skype list, which I declined.

A question arose, how could I get my contacts into the new Android phone? The old Nokia 6133 was able to synchronize contacts with Windows Address Book, a little freebie that you get with Win XP and probably other versions. Then I asked WAB to save the contacts in a csv file (Comma separated variables). My Gmail account accepted the csv file, and in seconds the contacts appeared on the Android phone, which had a wi-fi connection. Some of the "home" numbers were labelled as "work," but that was a small issue considering the simple method.

Feedback Score
    I would like to point out another alternative for WiFi calling. It involves getting second line and is not really specific to TMo. Install universal SIP client (for me 3CXPhone works well on Android) and sign up with any of VOIP service providers. I use Callcentric.com , another alternative often mentioned is VOIP.MS They have different plans to fit different needs.