Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

HELP Stolen 2x iPhone 4S How To Recover/Block/Trace Help the police?

I had two iphone 4S Stolen from me at gun point.
    I have the Serial# and Imei# of them, will Apple block them? do a carrier update and lock them? Give the police data to track the sum bag?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What I had to do one time was file a police report as soon as possible then give that police report to AT&T. Then, as soon as someone tried to activate my phone they contacted me and let me know. I kind of just left it right there and ended up just buying an iPhone because they never gave me any follow up after that. I never really pursued it further than that. Hopefully my experience can give you an idea of what you can do.

Did you have iCloud with Find my iPhone turned on?

Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Phones were brand new in the box.

I am honestly very disgusted by Apple right now. They refuse to help in any way, from tracing the phone to voiding the warranty!

It's an unlocked phone, so they just need to put in a sim card no need for activation.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    To the OP, how did you pay for them? If you used a credit card, you will have insurance and can recover your money that way.

Phone
    Telus milestone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT gun point? omg thats scary man, was this in public?

i would give it full effort and continue to call in to your carriers and apple. Until you get to the right person. You can also check online for particular EMAIL addressed to higher up individuals, As back in the day i did this and received a personal call to my home authorizing exchanges when i was denied one in store at the time. Its def worth a shot...

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It is a shame that AT&T won't black list phones. Verizon will.

Depending on your credit card, you may have Loss/Theft insurance. I paid for mine with American Express, and Amex automatically provides 90 days of Loss/Theft insurance.

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    At gun point, that's scary to say the least. Unfortunately, the fact that they are factory unlocked makes it difficult to block. Since it can just be taken to a different country and used there.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    You could contact AT&T security dept and see if they are now part of the CEIR/EIR database program. Member carriers can add IMEI's of stolen phones to the db and it will then be blocked on any of the subscribing carrier networks. Even if AT&T is a member, your milage may vary. I know in Canada Rogers is part of this program, but they generally will not add IMEI's of phones stolen from customers to the list (though they have sometimes). They use it for phones that are stolen from their stores or warehouses so that they become less valuable, but they are hesitant to extend this service to customers. Worth a shot if blocking the IMEI's is your goal.
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I paid with credit card so I'm hoping to get money back.

It was outside the coffee shop with several people looking outside and a couple of people smoking right outside the door. They didn't seem to care.

I'm in Canada so most likely it will be Rogers/Bell/Fido/Telus/Videotron/Chatr/Wind

I tried again almost 2 hours trying to reach someone at apple to atleast void the warrant, they won't!!!

Does Rogers/Bell/fido/ETC have a registery for stolen phones and block their IMEI?

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TilhasBB View Post
    I paid with credit card so I'm hoping to get money back.

It was outside the coffee shop with several people looking outside and a couple of people smoking right outside the door. They didn't seem to care.

I'm in Canada so most likely it will be Rogers/Bell/Fido/Telus/Videotron/Chatr/Wind
    This happened in Canada? I was always under the impression that Canadian cities are much safer than US cities. Maybe the times are changing in Canada too?

Phones
    Iphone 3g 16 GB
    iPhone 4S, white
    iPhone 3G, white
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    First off be happy that you're still alive. But why do you expect a credit card company to give you your money back? I mean think about it from an outside view.

I've heard in the past that AT&T will block imei's and blacklist them, making the phones themself useless. That's really your only route.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post
    First off be happy that you're still alive. But why do you expect a credit card company to give you your money back? I mean think about it from an outside view.

I've heard in the past that AT&T will block imei's and blacklist them, making the phones themself useless. That's really your only route.
    Because some credit cards offer this type of protection/insurance for purchases on their card.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post

I've heard in the past that AT&T will block imei's and blacklist them, making the phones themself useless.
    That is not offered to customers, only if a phone is stolen directly from At&t inventory. Even if At&t blocked it in their system, what will prevent the thief from using the device on another GSM network (domestic or foreign)?
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    That is not offered to customers, only if a phone is stolen directly from At&t inventory. Even if At&t blocked it in their system, what will prevent the thief from using the device on another GSM network (domestic or foreign)?
    If AT&T maintains their own EIR/IMEI DB, then it is likely they daily connect to the global CEIR/IMEI DB to upload their list and download the global list of blacklisted IMEIs. Not all carriers participate in the global program nor do all of those that participate actually enforce the blacklist, but does exist. The problem is only carriers can add IMEIs to this list and as you say, they will usually only add IMEIs for devices stolen from their own inventory.
    http://www.gsmworld.com/our-work/pro...i_database.htm

There is a private site that is trying to build up a list of stolen IMEIs, and it could actually a good site to check when buying privately.
    http://www.baza-ukradenih-gsm.com/?language=en
    I have no idea about the operators of the site, so use it at your own risk.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TilhasBB View Post
    Phones were brand new in the box.

I am honestly very disgusted by Apple right now. They refuse to help in any way, from tracing the phone to voiding the warranty!

It's an unlocked phone, so they just need to put in a sim card no need for activation.
    I'm very sorry to hear this happened to you. We tend to hear fewer stories of this happening in Canada, but criminals aren't selective - we're not immune to this happening here.

However, you have to understand that Apple attaches warranty to a device only. It cannot be cancelled for any reason, other than Apple voiding it for their own reasons.

Apple also cannot track the phone unless the service has been activated on device and attached to your Apple ID. Seeing as the phones were brand-new-in-box, it's not possible for them to do this.

This may seem frustrating in a circumstance where you've had things stolen from you, but reselling of iPhones and Apple products in general happens almost hourly on the open private market. In Apple's eyes, who is to say you didn't sell these phones legitimately to another person and then tried to void the warranty? Who is to say you didn't give it as a gift to your significant other who then broke up with your shortly after? Who is to say that you didn't give the phones to someone and are now trying to track/stalk them?

I know these are far fetched examples, but my point is that Apple is not in the business of verifying police reports and voiding serial numbers for their products.

Likewise, carriers in Canada don't block IMEI numbers unless stolen from their own inventory.

Here's to hoping that you have insurance via your credit card. I always recommend using a credit card for large purchases just in case, as you get a lot more protection that way.
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast