Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Currently on Sprint looking to straight talk or other prepaid wireless services...

Phones
    Htc Evo 4G
    Htc Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Currently on Sprint looking to straight talk or other prepaid wireless services...

hello everyone. I just joined the forums. I am currently on Sprint with a Htc Evo 4G. My contract with Sprint is up may of 2012. I don't have any major complaints other than the horrible slow 3G. If it wasn't for the Roaming with Verizon/US Cellular idk if I would have stayed the full 2 years. Is Straight talk the best of the best when it comes to a no contract network? I also see that they have different coverage maps depending on whether it's CDMA or GSM. I am needing some advice. issues with Straight talk or is it the best bang for your buck out there?

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The answer to your question depends entirely upon what coverage you want, what data speed you want, and how many minutes you want.

Right now, here's what I've found:

Simple Mobile

Simple Mobile - $40 / month unlimited everything, very slow data speed, Tmobile coverage without Tmobile roaming partners. You have to bring your own GSM phone, and you'll want a 1700/2100 (i.e., Tmobile) phone if you want high speed data. However, their limits on HS data make it irrelevant. For $60 a month, they give real high speed data, but there are better options.

Walmart Family Mobile - $45 per month for first phone, $25 per month each additional line, data purchased pay as you go with rollover, Tmobile with roaming partners. I haven't heard that data speed is limited.

Straight Talk

Straight Talk- $45 per month for unlimited everything, coverage depends upon your ZIP Code and which phone you choose. Can use At&T (with roaming partners), Tmobile (with roaming partners), or Verizon (with roaming partners) for non-android phones, depending upon ZIP code entered at purchase.

To find out, shop for a phone on their web-site. After entering your ZIP code, look in the URL (http:/) address in your browser. Look for the letters after "market=". If GSM4 appears in URL, all phones will be AT&T except Android Phones (which will be Sprint without roaming partners). If GSM5 appears, all phones will be Tmobile except for Nokia Smartphones that require the $45 unlimited plan (will use AT&T with roaming partners) and Android phones (Sprint, no roaming partners). If CO appears, phones will be Verizon CDMA except android phones.

You can force a particular type of phone by clicking shop, phones, and then entering one of these ZIP Codes.

AT&T- use 95521
    Tmobile- 90024
    Verizon- 97720

NOTE: Android phones operate on Sprint without roaming partners regardless of ZIP code you choose.

Straight Talk Map currently shown shows only T-mobile coverage for non-android devices. AT&T and CDMA Verizon devices will have different (usually more) coverage. Android device map shows Sprint with no roaming partners.

You can get correct maps by going to Net10.com, click service and support, click coverage, and enter your ZIP Code there.

Page Plus

Page Plus uses Verizon without roaming partners, but still has pretty good coverage. Limited selection of CDMA phones. You can bring in non-prepaid phones from Verizon, sometimes.

$29.95 1,200 minutes, 3,000 text, and 100MB Data
    $44.95 unlimited talk and text, 20 MB Data
    $55 unlimited talk, text, and 300MB Data
    Overage: 5 cents per minute, 5 cents per text, 10-25 cents per megabyte (depending upon plan)

There are many others, but these are the top ones for inexpensive unlimited plans...

Phones
    Htc Evo 4G
    Htc Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    The answer to your question depends entirely upon what coverage you want, what data speed you want, and how many minutes you want.

Right now, here's what I've found:

Simple Mobile

Simple Mobile - $40 / month unlimited everything, very slow data speed, Tmobile coverage without Tmobile roaming partners. You have to bring your own GSM phone, and you'll want a 1700/2100 (i.e., Tmobile) phone if you want high speed data. However, their limits on HS data make it irrelevant. For $60 a month, they give real high speed data, but there are better options.

Walmart Family Mobile - $45 per month for first phone, $25 per month each additional line, data purchased pay as you go with rollover, Tmobile with roaming partners. I haven't heard that data speed is limited.

Straight Talk

Straight Talk- $45 per month for unlimited everything, coverage depends upon your ZIP Code and which phone you choose. Can use At&T (with roaming partners), Tmobile (with roaming partners), or Verizon (with roaming partners) for non-android phones, depending upon ZIP code entered at purchase.

To find out, shop for a phone on their web-site. After entering your ZIP code, look in the URL (http:/) address in your browser. Look for the letters after "market=". If GSM4 appears in URL, all phones will be AT&T except Android Phones (which will be Sprint without roaming partners). If GSM5 appears, all phones will be Tmobile except for Nokia Smartphones that require the $45 unlimited plan (will use AT&T with roaming partners) and Android phones (Sprint, no roaming partners). If CO appears, phones will be Verizon CDMA except android phones.

You can force a particular type of phone by clicking shop, phones, and then entering one of these ZIP Codes.

AT&T- use 95521
    Tmobile- 90024
    Verizon- 97720

NOTE: Android phones operate on Sprint without roaming partners regardless of ZIP code you choose.

Straight Talk Map currently shown shows only T-mobile coverage for non-android devices. AT&T and CDMA Verizon devices will have different (usually more) coverage. Android device map shows Sprint with no roaming partners.

You can get correct maps by going to Net10.com, click service and support, click coverage, and enter your ZIP Code there.

Page Plus

Page Plus uses Verizon without roaming partners, but still has pretty good coverage. Limited selection of CDMA phones. You can bring in non-prepaid phones from Verizon, sometimes.

$29.95 1,200 minutes, 3,000 text, and 100MB Data
    $44.95 unlimited talk and text, 20 MB Data
    $55 unlimited talk, text, and 300MB Data
    Overage: 5 cents per minute, 5 cents per text, 10-25 cents per megabyte (depending upon plan)

There are many others, but these are the top ones for inexpensive unlimited plans...
    thank you so much for the information. Too bad the Android phones on Sprint do not have roaming partners aka Verizon/Us Cellular. I think my choices are down to Verizon/atnt but I'm guessing Verizon has a much wider area for 3G. I will definately look into this as my contract expiration is quickly approaching. Thanks again.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think you've misunderstood. Android phones on Spring DO get roaming partners, including roaming on Verizon. All phones on Sprint get Sprint's Roaming partners.

On the other hands, Android phones on Straight Talk get Sprint without roaming parters. Same for phones on Virgin Mobile.

Phones
    Htc Evo 4G
    Htc Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I think you've misunderstood. Android phones on Spring DO get roaming partners, including roaming on Verizon. All phones on Sprint get Sprint's Roaming partners.

On the other hands, Android phones on Straight Talk get Sprint without roaming parters. Same for phones on Virgin Mobile.
    I loved Sprint when I first joined them a year and a half ago. I had switched from Verizon Which I also liked, had coverage everywhere. Fast 3G. But I didn't like the prices. I then switched to Spring and had 4 lines on the everything data plan for roughly $187. a month which does include $15 taxes for Missouri and the $40 Premium data. I loved Sprint because they had awesome 3G speeds the same if not better then Verizon in my location. Now they seem to be very slow. I do get 4G which is nice but ever try using it when your phone is away from a charging point and forget it. So sadly I will be looking to get a phone on Straight talk most likely using Eeither Verizon/Atnt.....

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    You should take a look at the coverage maps to make your decision. Its possible you rarely travel outside a Sprint native coverage area (http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check...phone-coverage).

Verizon (ignore prepaid roaming, you dont get that on ST Verizon phones)
    http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/do...agetype=prepay

AT&T (from most indications, we get full AT&T postpaid coverage)
    http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

It does seem like coverage is your main concern, so in that case, take a look at the maps, ask your friends on Verizon and AT&T locally and see what they say.

AT&T does have a higher maximum 3G speed than does Verizon or Sprint, of course they need to have 3G in your area. You however won't be able to use an EVO on ST, if your going to ST Verizon, your going to be stuck with some very basic phones. ST AT&T does include the 3 Nokia smartphones and the SIM swap trick (check the stickied threads in this forum or http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...t_Talk_Android).
    Verizon 4G LTE----------------------------------AT&T 4G LTE

FreedomPop 4G WiMax

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The other big problem with Sprint is the price hikes. They raised the family plan add on by $5 per line, and are adding another $10 per line for smartphones. They've also raised various fees here and there.
    For me, that's a $40 per month price hike. That's why I'm here, investigating Prepaid options.

Phones
    Htc Evo 4G
    Htc Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The other big problem with Sprint is the price hikes. They raised the family plan add on by $5 per line, and are adding another $10 per line for smartphones. They've also raised various fees here and there.
    For me, that's a $40 per month price hike. That's why I'm here, investigating Prepaid options.
    You are 100% correct. Mines for $10 premium add on fee and my bill for 4 lines, would only be $147 a month which includes unlimited Data/Text/MMS and unlimited mobile to mobile any network while on the Sprint network. also includes 1500 anytime minutes for use when roaming and or calling landlines. It used to be a great but like you said price hikes. So i am looking to prepaid just to see what's out there

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm working on an MVNO FAQ that includes details about all prepaid options. Right now my favorite is Straight Talk (non-android) and Red Pocket. If you want Verizon, PagePlus.

Phones
    Htc Evo 4G
    Htc Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm working on an MVNO FAQ that includes details about all prepaid options. Right now my favorite is Straight Talk (non-android) and Red Pocket. If you want Verizon, PagePlus.
    PagePlus uses Verizon but you wouldn't be able to use a smartphone because they only allow a small amount of data correct? also Straight talk uses any of the big 4 depending on the phone you use? I am thinking about possibly flashing my sprint htc Evo over to Straight talk using Verizon towers. My other question is how much data on Straight talk is included with the $45 unlimited plan? What about 4G wimax?

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlowr05 View Post
    PagePlus uses Verizon but you wouldn't be able to use a smartphone because they only allow a small amount of data correct? also Straight talk uses any of the big 4 depending on the phone you use? I am thinking about possibly flashing my sprint htc Evo over to Straight talk using Verizon towers. My other question is how much data on Straight talk is included with the $45 unlimited plan? What about 4G wimax?
    ST has VZN/CDMA phones, but they are all feature phones (non smart phones) that run on the slow data networks that used to exist a decade back, not 3G. You could in theory flash the CDMA phone to ST verizon, but your data consumption would stick like a sore thumb and you would risk getting kicked out. So for all practical purposes, for a backdoor entry onto data, you only have ATT. The ATT network with a unlimited talk/text/ ~2gb data the nokia sim switch is your best option(this will include the 180usd nokia purchase price). Your other more straightforward option will be Redpocket that will charge 60usd/month, but you wont need to buy a nokia to switch sims. I wouldn't consider the VZN network as a realistic option for a data guzzling smartphone.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    1. You could use a smartphone. they right now offer
    1,200 Minutes, 3,000 Text/MMS Messages, 100 MB Data for 30$
    Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text/Picture Messages, 300 MB of Data for 55$ and will flash most verizon phones.
    2. Yes ST has plans with all 4, but ST/Net 10 are all part of America Movil, which has a notorious reputation for locking all its devices to its networks, this is locking that the usual unlock codes stuff wont help. So for all practical reasons the only BYOD (bring ur own device) option is with Nokia sim swap and the only network for this is ATT, however the coverage is postpaid ATT coverage, so this is pretty good.

3. flashing to VZN may not be a good idea, please look at my previous post.
    4. Probably unlimited on the ST androids running on native sprint for the wimax/4G. No other posters on HoFo seem to have encountered much of data limits, some seem to have noted a general slowing of the speed on the Sprint data network, with the new Iphone and all the data guzzlers.

Feedback Score
    hello everyone. I just joined the forums. I am currently on Sprint with a Htc Evo 4G. My contract with Sprint is up may of 2012. I don't have any major complaints other than the horrible slow 3G. If it wasn't for the Roaming with Verizon/US Cellular idk if I would have stayed the full 2 years. Is Straight talk the best of the best when it comes to a no contract network? I also see that they have different coverage maps depending on whether it's CDMA or GSM. I am needing some advice. issues with Straight talk or is it the best bang for your buck out there?
    If your thinking of leaving Sprint and are content with everything else but the speed of the data. Consider TMobile. I know Sprints Unlimited package is or was 69.99+ a 10.00 smart phone fee. Thats 80.00 a month.
    On TMob no contract you can have a great phone and service (4G) at a less than what you pay now. Check the plans out at this link http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans and the Samsung Exhibit 2 4G is at Walmart now for 199.99 off contract price.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Phones
    Htc Evo 4G
    Htc Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    How about the $50 dollar prepaid plans on Either AT&T Vs. Verizon or the Straight Talk plan of $45?

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Don't you love it how all of the phones like to auto correct sprint into spring.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast