Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any problem giving old iPhone to someone else?

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Any problem giving old iPhone to someone else?

Since I have an iPhone 4S, I was going to give my iPhone 4 to someone else. They are on Rogers, and I have no plans to cancel my plan or anything, I will still be paying of the plan I had when I got my iPhone 4, just with the 4S as my phone instead. Would there be any problems if they used my iPhone 4 with their own Micro SIM card? Would Rogers not allow them to use that phone that hasn't gone through the 3 year contract with it's original owner, or does it not matter? Thanks!

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're free to do what ever you want with the iP4.

Phone
    Samsung Nexus S, Samsung Tab 10.1 3G
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    Since I have an iPhone 4S, I was going to give my iPhone 4 to someone else. They are on Rogers, and I have no plans to cancel my plan or anything, I will still be paying of the plan I had when I got my iPhone 4, just with the 4S as my phone instead. Would there be any problems if they used my iPhone 4 with their own Micro SIM card? Would Rogers not allow them to use that phone that hasn't gone through the 3 year contract with it's original owner, or does it not matter? Thanks!
    You own the phone regardless of the contract. You're free to sell or give away the iPhone 4 to anyone you wish. All they need to do is insert their own SIM card and they're up and running with your old phone, just like you moved your SIM to the new iPhone 4S. That's the great feature of SIM card based phones, just move your phone number/account with the SIM to any compatible SIM based phone.

Phones
    SGSIII
    SGSIII
    N8 Green, Nexus S, S2X T989D
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    ...u don't own the phone as said previously and reading ur post, u got the phone under subsidy and ur contract is not finished so they won't unlock it, hence u don't own the phone, u could pass it on to somebody using Rogers which is what ur doing and that's fine.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrry View Post
    ...u don't own the phone as said previously and reading ur post, u got the phone under subsidy and ur contract is not finished so they won't unlock it, hence u don't own the phone, u could pass it on to somebody using Rogers which is what ur doing and that's fine.
    Nope, legally you own the phone. A subsidy or a discount given does not give Rogers any rights to the phone once you have purchased it.
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Phone
    Nexus S
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrry View Post
    Well you actually own the phone regardless of the subsidy. It's like borrowing from your Line of Credit to buy a shirt. Even if you aren't going to pay back your LOC, the bank is not going to take back the shirt and sell it.

Same thing with the phone, Rogers is not going to claim ownership of your phone regardless of your account standing. You borrowed the money (subsidy) from Rogers, with the condition that the money will be used to purchase a phone from them, and that you are going to stick with them for X years.

There is absolutely nothing in the contract that says that Rogers owns the phone (because then they will have to pay for the repair), nor there is anything about Rogers will go after your phone to recoup the loss if you don't pay up (because the cost to repossess your phone is more expensive than the loan).

If you don't pay your bill, Rogers will only go after your money, not your phone. The lock status of a phone has nothing to do with ownership.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bbq_123 View Post
    Well you actually own the phone regardless of the subsidy. It's like borrowing from your Line of Credit to buy a shirt. Even if you aren't going to pay back your LOC, the bank is not going to take back the shirt and sell it.

Same thing with the phone, Rogers is not going to claim ownership of your phone regardless of your account standing. You borrowed the money (subsidy) from Rogers, with the condition that the money will be used to purchase a phone from them, and that you are going to stick with them for X years.

There is absolutely nothing in the contract that says that Rogers owns the phone (because then they will have to pay for the repair), nor there is anything about Rogers will go after your phone to recoup the loss if you don't pay up (because the cost to repossess your phone is more expensive than the loan).

If you don't pay your bill, Rogers will only go after your money, not your phone.
    Correct, except that with your LOC example, being a loan, they could call the loan or use other legal remedies including filing a lien on your short. A subsidy is not a loan. It is a discount. A conditional discount, but a discount nonetheless. And just as if you bought a shirt at the Bay and got a discount, the short is yours and the phones is yours. The only difference is that to get the discount on the phone, you had to sign a contract. The contract itself has no bearing on your outright ownship of the shirt (while a loan might).

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If you transferred your plan onto your new iphone 4s, then you can do what you want with your "old" iphone4
    Fuelled by rice

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Everything's perfect.

When Rogers told me they wouldn't unlock my phone because my contract isn't up yet, the CSR actually said "if you're moving to a different carrier just put it up on Craigslist."

Selling, giving away, it's all fine. You own the phone.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    There is a lot of information out here but here is my two cents.

If the phone is locked, the person you are giving the phone to is going to have to use a Rogers account and MicroSIM.

Because the phone was taken under subsidy that means they will not unlock it until that 3 year term is up.

But with regards to the ownership, like DataDude said, it's all good to do whatever you want with it, even if that means giving it to me
    My Plan
    ----------
    $50 Unlimited Local & L.D. to N.A. +Unlimited SMS to N.A.
    $50 Unlimited Data (Grandfathered 2005)
    $10 iPhone VVM/CID/WC
    -$10 Credits

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Factory unlocked Iphone4
    Nokia E71
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Please go ahead!!!.....
    Give it to me and make my day.

Phones
    IPHONE4
    IPHONE 5 64 black
    I-PHONE 4S 64
    Carriers
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    I have always pass along or sell all my old phones. What does Rogers care since the person getting it will be paying to use the phone on their network. I even recall Rogers suggesting you do so. If we kept our old phones around it would be no good to anyone but when you pass it along Rogers get a new customer without having to work for it.

Carriers
    Robbers
    Feedback Score
    Heck, they don't even care if you activate a stolen phone.
    Rogers:
    Unlimited Canada-wide calling, 2500 sent SMS - $35; 6GB Data - $30 less $10; Call Fwd/xfr - N/C; Local UMA - N/C; Value Pak - $10 $11

Moblicity:
    $29 For $45 plan

Phones
    IPHONE4
    IPHONE 5 64 black
    I-PHONE 4S 64
    Carriers
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Heck, they don't even care if you activate a stolen phone.
    Why would they? They now have a new customer for 3 years and the poor person who lost the phone have to pay full price for a new one or pay ETF. Telco win and cust. Loose.

Carriers
    Rogers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    when I got my iphone 4 I got Rogers to unlock my 3Gs and gave it to my dad to use on the bell network.

No problem at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast