Thread: Easy WI FI

Carrier
    Metro Pcs
    Feedback Score

Easy WI FI

Is anyone's home network listed on Metro's Easy WI FI Network? I would make sure your home network is Protected. Is Metro learning, letting others access, your Home network through our phones?
    See if your address hows on their locator http://www.metropcs.com/wifilocator/locator.aspx

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s50spyder View Post
    Is anyone's home network listed on Metro's Easy WI FI Network?
    I would make sure your home network is Protected.
    Is Metro learning, letting others access, your Home network through our phones?
    See if your address hows on their locator http://www.metropcs.com/wifilocator/locator.aspx
    Sure go check your website: http://www.metropcs.com/wifilocator/locator.aspx -- but NO, YOUR wi-fi router is not listed in the Metro Easy Wi-Fi network -- unless you are stupid enough to have a completely open network.

Ignorant people are spreading these rumors about Easy WiFi for some reason. Please stop. (And by "ignorant" I mean people who lack knowledge.) Easy Wi-Fi does NOT store passwords for secured networks.

Here's how you can really check. Even if you go to the general Easy WiFi network on your PC (not the specific MetroPCS webpage you listed, but the EasyWifi.com site) -- and you are not registered and logged in as an account holder -- all you will see is a "general view" of reported Easy Wi-Fi hotspots, some of which may be near your house. It may LOOK like it's at your house, but it's through Google Maps APIs, reported by GPS wi-fi data, which is only accurate within a few hundred feet. There is a better way to check which I will tell you about in a minute... Not being logged in, you do not have the right to see details about those networks.

For instance, at MY house, the map at EasyWifi.com shows TWO Easy Wi-Fi hotspots. TWO! Right at my house! Both are inaccurate. Because with your computer, you are not really "logged in" to the system. It just shows alleged hotspots. But that view on the computer does NOT show the SSIDs (network names) associated with the hotspots....

The REAL way to check is to use your MetroPCS Android (or any smartphone with Easy Wi-Fi installed), and with the Easy Wi-Fi app, use the map on that app to go to your house. (NOT the phone's browser, the map in your Easy Wi-Fi app.) Since you are automatically "logged in" with MetroPCS supplied credentials you will then see the SSIDs (network names) of any hotspots at that location.

In this detailed view, I can see that neither of the two reported hotspots at my house are my secured network. NOT my router. They are open hotspots of neighbors. I can tell by the network names, as I can also see those names on my wife's laptop in the regular Windows wi-fi nearby networks view (part of Windows).

I even contacted Easy Wi-Fi to make sure. John Gordon, one of their engineers was very helpful. He searched their database for my SSID (it's very unique) and said it did not appear anywhere. When I reported my concern about the PC map view, he double checked to make sure there was not a bug in their system that was SHOWING a secure network as being an Easy Wi-Fi hotspot -- even though no one could access it. < Read that again. It would be a "false" hotspot listing, because again Easy WiFi does NOT store secured network passwords. But after thoroughly investigating, even that was NOT the case (no bug, no false report). Instead it's simple faulty GPS reporting. Some Easy Wi-Fi app reported a couple of open networks as they were driving by my house, apparently. Again, wi-fi gps reporting is not totally accurate. So, while the blue dots show up at my address, using the Easy Wi-Fi app I could clearly see their SSIDs, and they are NOT mine.

He even sent me a screen shot of HIS iPhone Easy Wi-Fi view of my house, so that I could see what people using other phones would see. It was identical to what my LG Esteem Easy Wi-fi was seeing -- which is more detailed than the "general" website map view.

The engineer John Gordon even said some open networks may show up that were there in the past -- there's one two streets over from me that has not been active since August, and will soon drop off the website map.

But, using the Easy Wi-Fi app map, if you find your SSID is listed, then your wi-fi router is not secure and it's not Easy Wi-Fi's fault. It's yours. Easy Wi-Fi does NOT store passwords for secured networks.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 10-27-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.