Thread: VERIZON PREPAID Versus VERIZON Postpaid

Feedback Score

Exclamation VERIZON PREPAID Versus VERIZON Postpaid

Hi all,

I need Your help on this one.

My friend told me that Verizon Wireless uses a different Network for Prepaid and Postpaid Customers.
    For Prepaid Customers the coverage area is not that good.
    Whereas for the Contract/postpaid customers the coverage is more.

can anyone please let me know if this is the case?

Also I want to know is
    I have a Brand Blackberry 9930 unlocked Phone. Can I use it with Verizon Wireless repaid?
    If so then can I use the TRADITIONAL BLACKBERRY FEATURES LIKE BLACKBERRY MESSENGER(BBM), BLACKBERRY INTERNET SERVICE (BIS), BROWSE THE INTERNET ON THE BLACKBERRY 9930 WHICH I HAVE OR ELSE SHOULD I GO FOR A CONTRACT WITH VERIZON TO GET A BETTER COVERAGE AND INTERNET ON MOBILE?

Please help.

Thanks a lot for Your time guys
    Peace.

Sati.

Phones
    LG
    LG
    Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Prepaid uses all the same Verizon towers as post paid. The difference is that roaming is not allowed. So there will be some differences but not a lot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by satishdsc View Post
    Hi all,

I need Your help on this one.

My friend told me that Verizon Wireless uses a different Network for Prepaid and Postpaid Customers.
    For Prepaid Customers the coverage area is not that good.
    Whereas for the Contract/postpaid customers the coverage is more.

can anyone please let me know if this is the case?

Also I want to know is
    I have a Brand Blackberry 9930 unlocked Phone. Can I use it with Verizon Wireless repaid?
    If so then can I use the TRADITIONAL BLACKBERRY FEATURES LIKE BLACKBERRY MESSENGER(BBM), BLACKBERRY INTERNET SERVICE (BIS), BROWSE THE INTERNET ON THE BLACKBERRY 9930 WHICH I HAVE OR ELSE SHOULD I GO FOR A CONTRACT WITH VERIZON TO GET A BETTER COVERAGE AND INTERNET ON MOBILE?

Please help.

Thanks a lot for Your time guys
    Peace.

Sati.
    You will need to check the Verizon coverage maps and select prepaid. If your in a prepaid coverage area it will be the same. If its roaming in the areas you will need coverage then prepaid isn't a good choice for you.

I have heard MVNO's get lower priority on the tower, but that's just hearsay I have heard.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Since you already own the phone you could activate on postpaid with no contract obligation. You would still have a credit check and if it's not good, pay a deposit to open a postpaid account. There is no credit check for prepaid. It ends up costing about the same to have a Blackberry on postpaid or prepaid. Postpaid has free roaming. Prepaid still has unlimited 3G data instead of a GB limit. Both include subscriptions to Blackberry servers. The level of service is the same if you're in native Verizon coverage.

While roaming on prepaid, data doesn't work, calls have a 20 cents per minute surcharge, but SMS is no surcharge.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    HF305 - are you saying that prepaid and postpaid coverage is actually the same, just data falls out when roaming? The reason I ask is, I had the same understanding but Gene and LTE both think otherwise. I *know* the MVNO's like Page Plus do not have the roaming at all, but thought the premium price of Verizon prepaid was why they are able to keep roaming for prepaid. I actually have a friend who bought a Verizon Prepaid phone just so he could use the roaming coverage offered by Pioneer Cellular in Northern KY and he's told me several times that he's happy with the service when out of town and not covered on his regular T-Mobile phone which is forwarded to Verizon prepaid while out of their coverage.

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1
    Watch me on YouTube: AlexKidd4Fun

Phone
    iPhone 5S, Nexus 5
    Carriers
    Sprint
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon prepaid from what I've seen myself and researched has the EXACT same coverage as VZW postpaid. Roaming is allowed, but it's 20 cents a minute on top of airtime charges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    HF305 - are you saying that prepaid and postpaid coverage is actually the same, just data falls out when roaming? The reason I ask is, I had the same understanding but Gene and LTE both think otherwise. I *know* the MVNO's like Page Plus do not have the roaming at all, but thought the premium price of Verizon prepaid was why they are able to keep roaming for prepaid. I actually have a friend who bought a Verizon Prepaid phone just so he could use the roaming coverage offered by Pioneer Cellular in Northern KY and he's told me several times that he's happy with the service when out of town and not covered on his regular T-Mobile phone which is forwarded to Verizon prepaid while out of their coverage.

--Kidd
    I know that Prepaid native coverage is identical, its just when your postpaid VZW device goes into *extended network*, prepaid devices are *roaming* and paying $.20 a minute, whereas postpaid may have 1X or even 3G EVDO signal and everything is unlimited. Which is good if you travel, I stayed in AK 3 months with no VZW native signal last year and used a total of about 12GB of data, and probably 3500 minutes and god knows how many texts and never heard a peep from VZW about it.

Feedback Score
    Both VZW prepaid and Page Plus use the NATIVE VZW network. Postpaid roams free on the extended network. VZW prepaid has daily plans and monthly plans. The plans that have $1 per day on days used .10/min and free m2m do not roam off of the native network but the monthly prepaid plans will. You will need to have funds on your account to roam as prepaid can only take what's already been deposited in the "kitty", since you can't be billed, if funds run out, that feature just stops working instead of you getting a surprise a bill for $600.

Page Plus works much the same in that the standard plans $10 for 100 minutes don't roam off the native network where the monthly plans 1200 min/3000 text will providing you have funds in your account. The big difference between the two, VZW prepaid makes you use a monthly plan for a smartphone $44.99 + $30 for unlimited data. If you want text, it's another $20 for unlimited text. Which makes the cheapest plan $95 monthly for 450 minutes, unlimited data and unlimited text. On the other hand, Page Plus does not make you use a monthly plan or make you get a data plan. The big reason why people use them, with page plus, they have a monthly plan for $29.95 which gives you 1,200 minutes, 3,000 text and 100mb of data. This tends to work out good for those people who want and Android device but don't want to pay for data. Of course, since you aren't paying for data, you don't get much data.

VZW prepaid does work well for those who move around alot and may only need a phone for a few months. The big reason some people I know have prepaid is because there is no monthly bill, so if you frequently find yourself in a situation where you can't pay all your bills each month, prepaid can be a good choice. I have also heard of a few cases where someone uses prepaid so it doesn't show up on the records that they have a smartphone. While it seems like cheating, I know someone who went to prepaid to make their monthly expenses look less for a low interest government loan.

Page Plus can save you lots of money if you only use your phone a little where VZW prepaid has plans that are more like postpaid plans with the exception that you must have funds on your account to renew your plan. If you frequently travel outside the native coverage area, then postpaid is your best option.

It really gets confusing when there's several kinds of prepaid plans, so you do need to study them carefully and decide what's best for your useage.

Feedback Score
    Others have covered the coverage well. You can use a smartphone but it requires the monthly plans and the $30 data. The minimum is $74.98 which has no texting. It's $94.98 for unlimited texting too. Postpaid is actually $5 cheaper and you can do it month to month without a contract. A credit check is required on month to month postpaid though and prepaid is still umlimited data and postpaid is not.