Thread: Limit data on android phone?

Feedback Score

Limit data on android phone?

Is it possible to stop the data once it hits the limit?(100mb)
    Just ported Droid X for my dad and I dont want him to go over his data limit.
    I turned off data for now.

It took them less than 10 min to port number from verizon!

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dorky82 View Post
    Is it possible to stop the data once it hits the limit?(100mb)
    Just ported Droid X for my dad and I dont want him to go over his data limit.
    I turned off data for now.

It took them less than 10 min to port number from verizon!
    A couple things come to mind. If you carry no money in your PP account and you hit 100mb (while on 1200tnt) your data just stops. Also, there is at least one app on the market that will monitor data usage and block data when it hits the limit that you have set. I wouldn't rely on the app to be 100% exactly correct.
    Having to wait even an hour to get a prepaid wireless plan pin from an online dealer or pin seller is NOT great, good or even mediocre customer service when you consider this instant internet age we live in. Why let anyone convince you otherwise? Understaffed is what it's called.(Two is not a team)

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Feedback Score
    Turn off ur mobile data under settings, problem solved

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomizers View Post
    Turn off ur mobile data under settings, problem solved

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk
    That of course is the logical approach if dorky82 has access to the dx when 100mb is reached. It becomes a little more difficult to turn off the data on the handset when he's not with Dad at that exact moment.

Feedback Score
    Look at Android market for application that logs data usage. Keep in mind that most of them may not be precise.

The way I deal with it I rooted my phone and install DroidWall. This allows to control precisely what applications can access data via 3G. However, by itself DroidWall doesn't estimate data usage in MB. The way I have is setup is only allow internet browser which is all I need. Note that I am pay-per-minute plan, not on 1200 TNT. So each MB is $1.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The 55 is now 300MBs.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    The 55 is now 300MBs.
    True, but it is also $25 MORE per MONTH or $300 MORE per YEAR than TnT1200 (w/ 100MB/month)! Since the OP mentioned 100MB (TnT1200), it seems silly to suggest a plan that costs so much more...or maybe I'm missing your point?
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    True, but it is also $25 MORE per MONTH or $300 MORE per YEAR than TnT1200 (w/ 100MB/month)! Since the OP mentioned 100MB (TnT1200), it seems silly to suggest a plan that costs so much more...or maybe I'm missing your point?
    No, you're not missing any point by me, I just was adding my 2 cents worth. Just in case!

Feedback Score
    So if my dad goes over 100mb, data stops working? Im going to pay his bill and planning to pay 3months in advance.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If there are no other funds available on the account, then yes, data will simply stop working after 100MB is used. If you load ONLY TnT1200 cards on the account, they they are supposed to be "reserved" for only TnT1200 renewals. But if you load any other cards, then overages will be taken from the account balance.

But unless you teach him how to turn data on only if he needs it, and then turn it back off when he is done, or unless you root it, install and properly configure DroidWall, he will probably run out of data every month...

Feedback Score
    Thank you. I got them smartphone just because for bigger screen. They were having hard time reading number on small flip phone without glasses. So far they are loving it.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dorky82 View Post
    Thank you. I got them smartphone just because for bigger screen. They were having hard time reading number on small flip phone without glasses. So far they are loving it.
    The numbers on my LG are a hell of a lot bigger than on both of my Androids. Actually, phone numbers on my 7 inch Tab are about the size of my flip!

Feedback Score
    I recommend using 3G watchdog to monitor your data, which allows you to set a widget so it's easy to follow. 3G watchdog also has settings that can limit data after you reach your quota, but the phone may need to be rooted to allow those options.