Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4S - How To Verify GSM Is Unlocked and Switch From CDMA To GSM

Feedback Score

iPhone 4S - How To Verify GSM Is Unlocked and Switch From CDMA To GSM

Is there anyway I can verify the GSM part is unlocked? The CSR on the phone didn't sound very confident her instructions were correct. She said I was supposed to enter an unlock code but she couldn't find the screen. She only had me go to Settings > Phone
    International assist - on
    Sim Pin > Sim Pin on
    Change Pin - had me enter a new pin

Nothing else. Is this correct?

I put an internation pin in the phone but didn't see anything come up. Should I see anything? Can I turn off the CDMA part of the phone somehow?

Thanks

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The easiest way is to insert an active GSM SIM (At&t or T-mobile) in the device and attempt to make a call. Seems easy to me. You can borrow a friend's GSM SIM (even if only temporarily) to test it.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    I read, even unlocked, Verizon's iPhone won't work with US SIM cards

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I thought you were only trying to verify if the iPhone was unlocked. Once a GSM device is unlocked it can be used any any compatible GSM network worldwide without having to worry about re-unlocking later.

If truly unlocked, it will work with any compatible GSM micro SIM (At&t or T-mobile), even in the US. Remember that Verizon reps (1st level) are not used to working with cellphones that have GSM capabilities even though they have had such devices in the past. Probably need a higher level tech rep to assist you.

Feedback Score
    I called global support and the CS was unsure of the unlocking instructions. She asked me a few times if I could enter an unlock code anywhere and I couldn't find any place to enter it.

What I read was Verizon iPhones won't read any US sims even after unlocked

Can someone please post the unlocking instructions so I can verify it? Or I do have an internatinoal sim, very old though. Nothing happens after I put it in. Is this right? Should I see something?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    According to reports, Verizon will only do international unlocks requests to Apple, thereby allowing non-US SIMs. Reports say the only way to have a fully-unlocked phone is to buy direct from Apple with NO subsidy (at least for purchases in US).

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does the same fully unlocked/unsub'd phone from Apple work to its full capabilities with any US carrier? (Or are there different versions for CDMA vs GSM carriers?)

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The phone does, yes. But neither Verizon or Sprint will activate any phone that wasn't subsidized by them. Thus, while the phone isn't locked on the CDMA side, neither Sprint not Verizon will activate an unsubsidized, unlocked phone. You can get their network resellers to though, like MetroPCS and Page Plus (on Verizon's network)

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ah ha! Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    well you could always put in an int'l roaming sim... like www.ekit.com
    there are some that are cheap or free to try, though US rates are going to be like $2/min.
    see www.prepaidgsm.net

Feedback Score

Anyone Unlock A Verizon 4S

I've been calling VZW for hours and they all say something different. If you have unlocked a VZ 4S can you please post what you did? 1 person told me I had to sync with itunes. I didn't have itunes so I hung up to install it. When I called back to ask what to do next no one knew what the previous person was talking about

Am I supposed to see anything when I insert an international SIM? How do I force the phone onto GSM so I won't roam on VZ overseas?

Thanks

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Have you had the contract for 60 days? I think there's a waiting period, but I don't know the details.
    You might have to re-activate the phone and connect to itunes when verizon says they unlocked the sim slot.
    A pop up message will show up that says your phone is unlocked. If you search, I'm sure someone has posted the graphic for it.
    "I wish for a world of peace, harmony, and naked men."

Phones
    Droid Pro
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had Verizon unlock mine but it wasn't easy. 3 reps had no idea how to do it and gave me all kinds of misinformation. Finally after arguing with the last, he worked with a supervisor and told me that the unlocking on an iphone is done at their end (which he said he did, and I did get a confirmation email the next day stating that something on my account was indeed changed but it didn't specify exactly what). There is nothing I had to do on the phone at all. He said it is all in their system and he just had to tell that system that my sim is unlocked. By the way, it is my impression that it will only work oversees and not with AT&T or T-Mobile.

So did it actually unlock? I really have no idea as I cannot test it, but the rep did seem to be telling me the truth and seemed honest enough.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    I had Verizon unlock mine but it wasn't easy. 3 reps had no idea how to do it and gave me all kinds of misinformation. Finally after arguing with the last, he worked with a supervisor and told me that the unlocking on an iphone is done at their end (which he said he did, and I did get a confirmation email the next day stating that something on my account was indeed changed but it didn't specify exactly what). There is nothing I had to do on the phone at all. He said it is all in their system and he just had to tell that system that my sim is unlocked. By the way, it is my impression that it will only work oversees and not with AT&T or T-Mobile.

So did it actually unlock? I really have no idea as I cannot test it, but the rep did seem to be telling me the truth and seemed honest enough.
    Unlocking of phones for use on GSM networks is done by entering an unlock code into the phone and not through the billing system or remotely over the air. You could confirm this by inserting an At&t micro-SIM and trying to make a call. I will give you a hint, it won't work.

From your description, the supervisor merely added a code to allow you to use your iPhone internationally w/ your existing Verizon mobile # and not to allow you to use a different SIM card. I guarantee that the phone is not unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Thank you californiajay. What you said matches what some of the CS told me. If you have an international SIM can you please tell me if you can still see the Verizon logo in the upper left when you insert the SIM?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast