Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Handset protection

Feedback Score

Handset protection

Hello

First post here.

When I signed up with Rogers, my biggest concern was handset replacement options. I didnt care if I had to pay for it , or if it was included since my job has me out on the road alot and unfortunatly I have to work around the unsavory parts of town and places when I do work.

I made sure to drive this point across very clearly when I signed up for my service. The rep on the phone assured that my smartphone would be replaced without any issue if my phone was lost or stolen and that I would have to pay 50$ for a loaner phone which I would get back upon safe return of loaner phone.

About 3 weeks ago my phone was stolen from a job site I was working on. I called it in promptly that it was stolen, and was told on the phone I would have to go into a store for a replacement. Went into the store, they tell me in the store I have to call in to get a phone. So I call in to get my phone replaced, only to be told I would be given a garbage piece of crap phone with no smartphone options on it. And if i wanted anything better I would have to pay for it, and if I wanted my phone replaced with what I had, it would cost me 400$

Is there anything I can do about getting my android back without shelling out 400$ for a new one. I would have gladly paid for some form of insurance to have my droid relpaced with the same one, but was told that there was option for that and that the handset protection guarantee would relieve me of all worries when it came to a phone replacement.

So far the only options Ive come up with is to say screw rogers , pay off the contract and go with another provider and that would still be cheaper than any option rogers has.

Carriers
    Rogers
    Chatr
    Feedback Score
    The handset protection program doesn't guarantee you a "like for like" replacement, it's just there to make sure that you always have a $0 option available to you.

There should be a heavily-subsidized smartphone available to you as well - not sure if they still have the $0 replacement smartphones, but if you have data on your account there should be a smartphone option.

Android handsets are pretty cheap in general unless you're looking at the latest top-of-the-line handsets, so they should have an Android option available.

My recommendation would be to go into a store and ask them what devices are available to you as an Out of Warranty Replacement.
    "You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change circumstances, seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of." - Jim Rohn

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you are replacing a regular phone Currently the free replacement device is a LG 133
    If you are replacing a smart phone Currently the free replacement device is a Nokia C5 smartphone.

Phones
    LG Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    The Nokia C5 or NOKIA C5-03 cause the nokia C5 isnt even a smartphone..but can say the nokia C5-03 isnt much better..never rely on their "Handset protection" its just a way for them to keep you, look like they are better than the other providers and give away the crappiest non selling cells they have..its all for show. I found the program useless and a waste of time to even consider it..just buy a new one cause they also charge you for the "replacement" 9 times out of 10 and usually isnt much of a deal anyways. Eiter buy new or find someone selling used you are better off!

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My mistake I said Nokia C5 I meant that the Free smartphone that you get is the Nokia E5.

Phones
    LG Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Ewww even worse lol ;-)

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Its FREE. As in no contract, no cost, no nothing. FREE.

How could anyone possibly complain about there carrier giving them a FREE phone when they lost or damaged their own phone?

Phones
    LG Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Huh when i did the handset protection plan for my daughters broken cell they charged me for Samsung gravity and never gave me any other options...

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisidan View Post
    Huh when i did the handset protection plan for my daughters broken cell they charged me for Samsung gravity and never gave me any other options...
    Each customer gets 1 token per New Activation or Hardware Upgrade.

1 token will get you a FREE replacement phone or a Out Of Warantee repair.

So if she had to pay for her replacement that is because she would have already used her token on something else.

But also there is never just 1 option, there is always 8-12 options starting at $0 and going up depending on which one you want.

Phone
    Carrier
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D Mac View Post
    How could anyone possibly complain about there carrier giving them a FREE phone when they lost or damaged their own phone?
    Because it's not what the rep told the OP they would get.

A POS is still a POS, even when it's free.

Phone
    Carrier
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisCo82 View Post
    So far the only options Ive come up with is to say screw rogers , pay off the contract and go with another provider and that would still be cheaper than any option rogers has.
    Read through my page:
    UnWelching – When Rogers Welchs, And How To Undo It (/unwelching)
    s://RogersWatch.wordpress.com/UnWelching

... that'll advise you of your rights and how to remedy.

Carriers
    Rogers
    Chatr
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BellVictim View Post
    Read through my page:
    UnWelching – When Rogers Welchs, And How To Undo It (/unwelching)
    s://RogersWatch.wordpress.com/UnWelching

... that'll advise you of your rights and how to remedy.
    OP said the rep on the phone advised them his smartphone would be replaced, and that's what's being offered... a free replacement smartphone... Not sure what there is to "unwelch" as you put it.

Feedback Score

So if she had to pay for her replacement that is because she would have already used her token on something else.

But also there is never just 1 option, there is always 8-12 options starting at $0 and going up depending on which one you want.
    I've used the handset protection program 3 times on one line within less then 4 months and o always had a free option. I always chose the Motorola quench , an outdated android stuck on 1.5 cause I still wanted android and that was the only option for less then $200. First 3 times I paid $99 for if , the last time $79.

I ended up selling it anyways and paid a little extra to get the xperia arc cause anything below android 2.1 sucks

Sent from my LT15a using HowardForums

Phones
    LG Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Well i was never offered a free replacement and had never used the "program" all phones offered had a price tag with it and i had never used the program before so this is untrue you always get a free one with the protection plan..but like i said its so ppl dont jump ship and for rogers to get rid of their POS non selling Phones thats all it is..like i said before your better off either leaving or buying outright..fort the cell i did get offered and payed for was just for my daughter and was a low enough cost and good enough for her..if it happened to me i would have left rogers for what they "offered" me considering they all are POS and i had to pay for them! Only plus side was I didnt have to resign a 3 year to get it and thats what they preached getting me to buy it LOL

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisidan View Post
    Well i was never offered a free replacement and had never used the "program" all phones offered had a price tag with it and i had never used the program before so this is untrue you always get a free one with the protection plan..but like i said its so ppl dont jump ship and for rogers to get rid of their POS non selling Phones thats all it is..like i said before your better off either leaving or buying outright..fort the cell i did get offered and payed for was just for my daughter and was a low enough cost and good enough for her..if it happened to me i would have left rogers for what they "offered" me considering they all are POS and i had to pay for them! Only plus side was I didnt have to resign a 3 year to get it and thats what they preached getting me to buy it LOL
    No there is ALWAYS a Free option the first time you use the program. I can't speak as to why they didn't tell you about it but there is Definitely Always a $0 option.

Sometimes it is an Andriod phone, sometime it is a iPhone (yes, iPhones are offered for FREE), sometimes it is a Blackberry, but regardless of what the current Free phone is there is ALWAYS a Free option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast