Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Personal Hotspot Doesn't Work after iOS Upgrade

As the title says, since the upgrade my PH won't work in 3G. If my phone is connected to a LAN via wifi, I can connect my iPad to my phone via PH but if no LAN wifi is available, the PH doesn't work. The wifi status on my phone jumps between Not Connected and On. There is service because I can get on the net with my phone. While here in NY, I went to the ATT store and they think its an Apple issue. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The title says nothing about 3G service. Since all iPads have Wi-Fi capability, the iPhone is not part of that connection. The two devices simply are on the same subnet. I do not think that the iPhone is able to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi and then share that Wi-Fi connnection with another device. That would require both an infrastructure and ad hoc connection at the same time. There is only one Wi-Fi radio in the phone.
    From iOS5 User Guide:

Personal Hotspot
    You can use Personal Hotspot (iPhone 4 or later) to share an Internet connection with a computer or other device—such as an iPod, iPad, or other iPhone—connected to your iPhone via Wi-Fi. You can also use Personal Hotspot to share an Internet connection with a computer connected to iPhone via Bluetooth or USB. Personal Hotspot works only if iPhone is connected to the Internet over the cellular data network.Note: This feature may not be available in all areas. Additional fees may apply. Contact your carrier for more information.
    Share an Internet connection: Go to Settings > General > Network and tap Set Up Personal Hotspot—if it appears—to set up the service with your carrier.
    After you turn on Personal Hotspot, other devices can connect in the following ways:
    ÂÂW-Fi: On the device, choose your iPhone from the list of available Wi-Fi networks.
    Last edited by efparri; 10-30-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Good info. Thanks i have 3G service but the PH still won't work. A Google search results with a lot of others with this problem but no solution. How can I look at subnet info on each to verify? Thanks again.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    As I stated the Personal Hotspot provided by Apple does not support sharing of a Wi-fi connection. Your router already takes care of that. Consequently the explanation of subnets is not germane to the discussion. Do you have the tethering add-on sold by your carrier? It adds a different APN for tethering. You might have to configure it again.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone4 so no tethering required
    I have ATT and pay for the Personal Hotspot
    The iPhone is not connected to a router. I'm using 3G

Sorry about the confusion. In my first post, I must have been mistaken about the LAN piece and my iPad must have also been connected to the LAN via wifi unbeknownst to me.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The Personal Hotspot is a form of tethering.The point is that if you have a Wi-Fi connection available to the iPhone, it is also available to the iPad. It would be pointless to share a Wi-Fi connection with a device which can connect directly to the same router as the iPhone. The Personal Hotspot shares a cellular data connection only. You were getting the on and off Wi-Fi connection on your phone because it was alternating between acting as a client to the router and as a DHCP server to the iPad. When you updated the operating system it might have defaulted to the "phone" APN rather than the "broadband" APN required by the Personal Hotspot. Try setting up your Personal Hotspot again on your iPhone.

Phones
    IP6
    w890i, c510a, ONYX, IP4, IP4S, S3, IP5, IP5S, IP6
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    there are probalby some null values or some plist that did or didnt get updated.

Best way to fix via troubleshooting would be to reset network settings.

You will lose all wifi passwords and some other custom settings but its a good place to start to see if this fixes your tethering issue.

FYI.

Tethering/Personal Hotspot items to ip4/4s work on 3g so if you had a wifi device and it needed a net connection you can PH the ip4/4s and you will get net.

I havn't tried ph over wifi (sharing existing wifi signal with another device using ip4/4s as gateway) as it becomes redundant so not sure if it works or not.

Quote Originally Posted by T84A View Post
    I have an iPhone4 so no tethering required
    I have ATT and pay for the Personal Hotspot
    The iPhone is not connected to a router. I'm using 3G

Sorry about the confusion. In my first post, I must have been mistaken about the LAN piece and my iPad must have also been connected to the LAN via wifi unbeknownst to me.