Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Lines automatically placed on "Pay Per Megabyte" data plan

Feedback Score

Lines automatically placed on "Pay Per Megabyte" data plan

This info was leaked by tmonews.com several months ago, but T-mobile has now been actively pushing the "Pay per Megabyte" data plan on all lines that currently do not have a data plan on it, regardless if it's a smartphone or a dumbphone.

For most people, this is a non-issue. People with dumbphones usually don't have ways of accessing the internet so incurring a accidental charge is unlikely.

HOWEVER, for those folks with smartphones but no data plans (people who got their smartphone from a friend/relative, bought it from Craigslist, etc), be cautious when going on the web. Make sure that you're on a wifi connection or you'll incur a charge.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just called TM last week about this. The odd part is all my @Home lines had it too.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Seems like they need more revenue. This is an easy way. Not many people will call up and complain (or even notice) a buck or two here and there.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like they've been getting "advice" from AT&T on more ways to take advantage of their customers.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile sent an email about this service this past summer. I followed the directions in the email and called them up to have it disabled. I was worried that it might be considered a material change in my service and force me into a contract (been off contract since 2006). I was told it was not the case and they happily (at least they didn't complain) removed pay per MB service from my account.

While I use a Motorola V360, which is considered a "dumb phone", it does have a WAP based web browser on it that could access data and thus ding me for data usage. I figured better safe than sorry by disabling it.
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    but T-mobile has now been actively pushing the "Pay per Megabyte" data plan on all lines that currently do not have a data plan on it, regardless if it's a smartphone or a dumbphone.
    What is your source for the information that they are putting it on dumbphone accounts?

The original article with T-Mobile screenshot said smartphone accounts:

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/08/t-mob...eptember-15th/

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I cannot cite an official source BUT my dumb phone account had Pay-Per-Use listed as a feature on my account on my.tmobile.com. If not, the CSR would not have been able to remove it. I would have removed it myself but the fine print was unclear as to whether or not it would invoke a contract.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n2jtx View Post
    f not, the CSR would not have been able to remove it. I would have removed it myself but the fine print was unclear as to whether or not it would invoke a contract.
    See the tmonews article I posted above. You can't get the pay by use removed on a smartphone account. The fact that the CSR removed it from your account shows that the dumbphone policy is that it is still not required whereas smartphones it is.

Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    See the tmonews article I posted above. You can't get the pay by use removed on a smartphone account. The fact that the CSR removed it from your account shows that the dumbphone policy is that it is still not required whereas smartphones it is.
    The fact that it can be removed is not much consolation if it is added against the user's will and charged for.

(Whether it was added to many I do not know, might have been a mistake. But being able to remove it would be no excuse.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    What is your source for the information that they are putting it on dumbphone accounts?

The original article with T-Mobile screenshot said smartphone accounts:

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/08/t-mob...eptember-15th/

Well, all my lines have that feature added on and 2 of them (my parents) definitely use dumbphones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    Well, all my lines have that feature added on and 2 of them (my parents) definitely use dumbphones.
    Interesting to know. I guess T-Mobile is trying to shake down whomever they can these days.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5SE 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I have 3 lines 2 dumb phones and Vibrant. All lines have no data. All the lines were changed to per pay use without my knowledge. For one day I thought I have free internet on my Vibrant. Then my bill came and I had $50 charge for data usage. Oh well. I called and blocked data on all 3 lines.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nox555 View Post
    I have 3 lines 2 dumb phones and Vibrant. All lines have no data. All the lines were changed to per pay use without my knowledge. For one day I thought I have free internet on my Vibrant. Then my bill came and I had $50 charge for data usage. Oh well. I called and blocked data on all 3 lines.
    That sucks.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Motorola Charm(Unlocked),Behold II, MyTouch Slide 3G and TP2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They added the pay per use data plan on two of my lines which use dumb phones. I was not able to remove it online, and could not get a hold of a CR after 2hrs on the phone. My last resort was using T-Mobile Chat to remove the plan and add data blocks.

Sent from my Incredible S using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ylopez2007 View Post
    They added the pay per use data plan on two of my lines which use dumb phones. I was not able to remove it online, and could not get a hold of a CR after 2hrs on the phone. My last resort was using T-Mobile Chat to remove the plan and add data blocks.

Were you able to confirm that it was removed? My friend told me he got the "pay per megabyte" plan added last month and it was supposed to be removed at the end of his billing cycle but got added back on

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast