Feedback Score

Virgin iPhone 4 GSM or CDMA?

Hey thinking about picking up a virgin i4 of ebay and was wondering is the virgin model a GSM phone? Im not using it here it will be running on an overseas GSM netwrok is that ok?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Check the OS version on it, chances are it cant be unlocked. Apple loves the control game.

Feedback Score
    ? I thought they were unlockable now? There over a year old arent they? I think its iOS4. Other than the question about it being unlockable it is a gsm phone right if its from virgin?

So can it be unlocked via programs/buying unlock code?

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Pretty sure the Virgin model is the same as the Bell one, HSPA. I don't think the Verizon CDMA version is a world phone either, just the new 4S. I'm not sure what the Virgin policy is on unlocking, but it would have to be out of contract first anyways for them to consider doing it. If you are going to pay that much anyways, just get an unlocked one from Apple and use it anywhere you want.

My New Rogers Plan
    - $35 Unlimited Local Calling Plan
    - $30 6GB Data
    - $10 Retention Value Pack - Free (2500 texts, CID, VM)
    - 100 mins LD - Free
    - $67 + tax

Bite me Telus.

Feedback Score
    Oh im buying the phone off ebay because i want to send it to a family member overseas. So will the virgin one be unlockable? Or should i just buy a rigers locked one of ebay and just unlock that?

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Pretty sure neither will be unlockable if the software is current.

Feedback Score
    by current you mean ios5? what if its iOS4?

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisx View Post
    by current you mean ios5? what if its iOS4?
    I believe 4.3.3 can only be unlocked if the previous owner had unlocked it previously to updating their software. The phone has to have one of the older basebands to be unlockable. So if the previous owner hasn't updated the software past 4.3.3 and has unlocked the phone in the past...it might be possible to unlock the phone and that is only MIGHT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joop88 View Post
    I believe 4.3.3 can only be unlocked if the previous owner had unlocked it previously to updating their software. The phone has to have one of the older basebands to be unlockable. So if the previous owner hasn't updated the software past 4.3.3 and has unlocked the phone in the past...it might be possible to unlock the phone and that is only MIGHT.
    Jeez what a mess eh, been outa the io loop for to long. So im better of buying a pre-unlocked i4 off ebay then rather than a locked rogers/virgin one.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I personally would never buy something like this from eBay. The chance of getting stuck with a locked device or one that could easily get locked with a software update is not worth it. I don't think you would even save that much vs buying one from Craigslist that you could test yourself with a number of sims before buying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joop88 View Post
    I personally would never buy something like this from eBay. The chance of getting stuck with a locked device or one that could easily get locked with a software update is not worth it. I don't think you would even save that much vs buying one from Craigslist that you could test yourself with a number of sims before buying.

Last time i bought a phone of craigslist i got mugged........damn this really sucks, was hoping that it wouldnt be this hard.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Last time i bought a phone of craigslist i got mugged........damn this really sucks, was hoping that it wouldnt be this hard.
    you can buy it from the Apple online store unlocked, as you know, but apple also has a payment plan if you don't want to pay it all at once. Sometimes the money you save on Ebay or Craigslist isn't always saving you in the long term. Just get it from Apple, you know it's new, you know it's unlocked, you don't have to worry about all these unknowns.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Jeez what a mess eh, been outa the io loop for to long. So im better of buying a pre-unlocked i4 off ebay then rather than a locked rogers/virgin one.
    Absolutely, hands down! Exploit-based unlocking has not been available for new basebands in a while, it only applies to early iPhone 4 models that haven't been updated past iOS 4.0.2 (or have only been update with special precautions preserving the old baseband). If you want to use an iPhone 4 oversees you'll have to buy factory-unlocked.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.