Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile no-contract monthly tethering/portable wifi hotspot?

Feedback Score

Question T-Mobile no-contract monthly tethering/portable wifi hotspot?

I'll be going across the country for the holiday, and I need an extra coverage for wireless data. Currently I have AT&T, but I want another device + service from another carrier as a backup. Browsing through a lot of mifi pre-paid plans (most of them are CDMA variants) reveals quite pricey for a CDMA-only device, and the rates aren't that great either. Looking that T-Mobile is offering the Samsung Exhibit II 4G for $199, I'm thinking might as well buy a phone. Even better, they offer $30 no contract for unlimited (5GB) data (other prepaid mifi data plans are at least $50 for a similar quota). That sounds like a good deal. Now the question is, can I use that T-Mobile plan for tethering/portable wifi hotspot? T-Mobile used to be lenient on tethering, but they seem to be clamping down on the post paid side.

In short, if I go to Walmart, buy the Exhibit II 4G with the $30 plan, can I use the Exhibit II 4G as a portable hotspot? I went to T-Mobile store to play with the device and it doesn't look like T-Mobile lock the portable hotspot function. Can anybody confirm this?

Phones
    BB9700, wife S4, partner Galaxy Light
    BB9700
    wife S4
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I haven't heard of T-M banning wifi hotspot usage. Supposedly, they "ban" tethering, but tests w. my BB in tethering works fine. (These were just tests - no long time heavy use.).
    I think all TM Androids have the wifi hotspot feature. We used it a little bit on my wife's MyTouch 4G Slide last week rather than pay the $13/day the hotel wanted.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Feedback Score
    Well, after a bit of digging, apparently T-Mobile lock down the wifi hotspot feature on the Samsung Exhibit II for this plan, using the same trick as AT&T by having a constantly running service in the background that will check if the account has tethering plan or not (which is not available for this plan). Boo.

Browsing the forum, looks like T-Mobile started doing this not too long ago, so many older phones are okay. But I want specifically this $30 plan and sounds like I have to research on rooting it.

Feedback Score
    Or you can use Pda.Net with USB tethering without root. You may find more people who are familiar with the prepaid plan in the prepaid T-Mobile forum on this thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...lan-due-Oct-16

Feedback Score
    I'm looking for a similar set up, cheap no contract data plan on a phone that will act as a mobile hotspot.
    Thanks for the link, i'm still reading through the copious posts.

Did anyone ever figure out if there are additional fees for using the mobile hotspot option?

Thought I'd also share this link to another thread discussing the same $30/mo 5GB Monthly4G plan:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...texts-5GB-data!

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Keep one thing in mind. All prepaid accounts (and all hotspot/webconnect plans) include NO data roaming. If you roam, no data. Postpaid and non-prepaid no contract accounts are fine on smartphone data plans. Webconnect NEVER roams off network. period. (NOT even iwireless, partly owned by t-mobile. GRR!!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danska View Post
    Keep one thing in mind. All prepaid accounts (and all hotspot/webconnect plans) include NO data roaming. If you roam, no data. Postpaid and non-prepaid no contract accounts are fine on smartphone data plans. Webconnect NEVER roams off network. period. (NOT even iwireless, partly owned by t-mobile. GRR!!)
    Prepaid phone has nowhere to roam except Canada (maybe Mexico as well)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danska View Post
    good to know. but i'm not trying to use the data outside my normal area, so not an issue for me. i just want to figure out if they're going to charge extra to use the mobile hotspot feature. there's too much general discussion in these threads!!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Prepaid phone has nowhere to roam except Canada (maybe Mexico as well)
    Not true, actual T-Mobile Prepaid phones do roam for voice service, it's the MVNO's like Simple Mobile that have no roaming whatsoever

that's why T-Mobile's paygo rates are a little more expensive than others, so you can get free roaming too
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: CenturyLink DSL at Home

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Nope, for the most part prepaid phones have the same domestic roaming abilities as postpaid phones, minus data. A simple look at the prepaid coverage map at t-mobile.com shows that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    I haven't heard of T-M banning wifi hotspot usage.
    Pickup an Amaze, or GS2, and you'll change your answer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy78 View Post
    Pickup an Amaze, or GS2, and you'll change your answer.
    LOL! here is the answer!
    It is easy to remove the tmo bloatware to free use androided hotspot.
    Tethering is the phone function, it should never be paid option.
    tmobile is trying to be as evil as possible to kick subscribers out. It is dying anyway.
    I am using GS2 tethering for fun.
    Crying your guys! you will lose your job very soon.
    Tmobile USA will not exist next Xmas.
    Name:  shot_000020.png
Views: 11725
Size:  36.1 KB
    Last edited by Androided; 11-10-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tad2much View Post
    Did anyone ever figure out if there are additional fees for using the mobile hotspot option?
    I've never seen any price for tethering charge on the prepaid plan. That being said if you get one of the newer Android devices (like the Exhibit) it may have the built in tethering function blocked. So you'll have to do a workaround with USB tethering or perhaps rooting.

Thought I'd also share this link to another thread discussing the same $30/mo 5GB Monthly4G plan:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...texts-5GB-data![/QUOTE]

Feedback Score
    thanks guys, i rep'd as much as i could, but now it says i have to wait 24hrs.

So hotspot/tethering is free, as long as the phone has the ability built in. If it's blocked by software, there should be ways around it, but either way, no charge. That's good to know.

Any thoughts on the least expensive phone that can hotspot well?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tad2much View Post
    thanks guys, i rep'd as much as i could, but now it says i have to wait 24hrs.

So hotspot/tethering is free, as long as the phone has the ability built in. If it's blocked by software, there should be ways around it, but either way, no charge. That's good to know.

Any thoughts on the least expensive phone that can hotspot well?
    technically, any Android phone can do wi-fi tethering!
    prepaid $99 LG android phone works very well!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast