Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unlock Successful for Samsung Exhibit I and possibly II

Feedback Score

Unlock Successful for Samsung Exhibit I and possibly II

I successfully unlocked the Exhibit I. The same method may well work on the Exhibit II but I do not own one to test.
    Previously I did the same method on SGS4G. See my posts at XDA and what I did..Thanks!

You first need root and root was finally obtained a few days ago and work on both Exhibit I & II.

See Here how to root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post19094979

To unlock follow this OP method Thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1028588

I posted my success here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post19094856

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bhmm2000 View Post
    I successfully unlocked the Exhibit I. The same method may well work on the Exhibit II but I do not own one to test.
    Previously I did the same method on SGS4G. See my posts at XDA and what I did..Thanks!

You first need root and root was finally obtained a few days ago and work on both Exhibit I & II.

See Here how to root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post19094979

To unlock follow this OP method Thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1028588

I posted my success here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post19094856
    I was able to root (and enable wifi hotspot by freezing tethering manager), but I am getting nowhere with unlocking. I tried to follow the above method, and when I enter the script in the terminal emulator, it tells me I have no nv_data.bin file. ??? I could find a nv_data.bak file viewing files on phone while connected to PC... what am I doing wrong? Help!?!

Edit: Ok, maybe it was supposed to do that... I found the file and got a copy on my sdcard and on the PC. Now trying to find a free hex editor that I can understand???

Edit#2: Hm, apparently the nv_data.bin file I got is 0KB. So something is not working right.
    Last edited by kisrita; 11-10-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    Where is the nv_data.bin located at? It surely not in /efs folder. Somebody is not telling the truth ... For the record, i am rooted and i am proficient with linux ...
    There is no root folder in /efs, nor afs folder or settings folder ...

Feedback Score
    Do you guys trying this on Exhibit I or II? Again I did on I....The rooting has been confirmed to also work on II & II. The unlocking I don't know. I do not have the II to test. All I know every phone has a unique nv_data.bin and you should have one your phone. And if you're truly rooted you should grab it without issue. I don't even run the script ..I just use RootExplorer.

I'm not proficient on Linux....but I was able to unlock 3 Exhibit I and one Samsugn Galaxy 4G using the above method. Oh yeah plus I've used the same method to unlock my ATT Galaxy Tab...

All I can say look around for that file. As far as editor I've used the free FlexHex and was easy to easy to spot the address using the Navigate funtion....and goto...the address...

Kabel....whose not telling the truth? Did you use Exhibit I and did not find it....I find it ironic that as proficient as you are in linux you can not find this file on your phone....The link at XDA shows many many people finding it...on their samsung phones...

Feedback Score
    edit: double post

Feedback Score
    BH; Kabel is right. The file is not in the same location on the Exhibit II. I don't know where it is, I couldn't find it either, but can confirm it's not in the efs folder. A 0KB nv_data.bin file gets created with the command prompt in the method you posted, but that method doesn't seem to work for the Exhibit II. Granted, I know nothing about Linux so I could be doing something wrong. However, if you look through the thread you linked in your original post, you'll find someone else with a different phone who also couldn't use that method due to a different file structure. Maybe Kabel will be able to figure out where the nv_data.bin file is located, since he can use Linux commands. In the meantime, I need to leave for Hong Kong and want a backup phone so I payed $30 for an unlock code that may or may not work. I put an ATT sim from my BB, entered the network unlock, which appeared to unlock the phone, then I put everything back together again w/TMobile sim, and checked to see if it now reported an unlocked phone, but it still said network lock on. So I don't know if even the paid code works. Will report back in a week whether or not it did.

Edit: I tried the (paid) unlock code again, and this time checked with the code with both sim cards to see if the network lock is on or off. And this time it worked! I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but this time the unlock stuck, and even with the original Tmobile sim back in, after reboot, it is still reporting network lock off! So, it's not a temporary unlock, phew! That makes me feel so much better, Hong Kong here I come!
    Last edited by kisrita; 11-11-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kisrita View Post
    BH; Kabel is right. The file is not in the same location on the Exhibit II
    OK that's fine. But nobody ever said the file was for sure in that folder on Exhbitt II. My post was related to Exhibit I ans somebody had to try to replicate on II. So I'm just not sure why I would be the one not telling truth. But that's fine. I think he tought you were not telling the truth. But I guess you just did not know that you've created an empty file.

Feedback Score
    OK that's fine. But nobody ever said the file was for sure in that folder on Exhbitt II. My post was related to Exhibit I ans somebody had to try to replicate on II. So I'm just not sure why I would be the one not telling truth. But that's fine. I think he tought you were not telling the truth. But I guess you just did not know that you've created an empty file.
    I meant to say "not telling the truth" as a joke, but obviously i forgot to put smile at the end. It is difficult to be humoristic in writing. OK, back on track ... i'm doing this on Exhibit 2, not 1. As i said, the phone rooted using ZergRush method. I could confirm that the phone is rooted with the usual terminal stuff ("id" command). Then i restarted the phone and, again have checked that is rooted with "id" command. Double confirmation was the very fact that i was able to errase/remove .apk's (t-mobile's bloatware) from the /System/app folder either with "ES File Explorer" or with "Terminal Emulator" on the phone or through adb. Then followed the big surprise ... no nv_data.bin file in /efs folder. I'm trying to locate this bloody file and i'll post what i've found. Does not look promising, it seems like they (Samsung) have changed the protection. There are other methods for unlocking the phone, and they all need the nv_data.bin file. This method (using hex editor and locating the code) is the best in my opinion because does not involve editing of nv_data.bin which contains all kinds of stuff related to the radio (calibration stuff). Some folks on different samsung phones are even erasing it to successfully unlock their devices, which again, is kind of scary ...

I apologize for my bad attempt of humor.
    Take care

Feedback Score
    Hey Kabel...sorry I misunderstood you...I've just got the Exhibit II. I'm wondering if it's worth it ...The only thing better than the Exhibit I is the extra ATT Bands on the phone....but without the nv_data.bin there's noway to unlock and allow use of ATT bands. Now I wish I had kept my Samsung Galaxy S 4G. Worked on 3G ATT just fine after unlocking. Let us know find the file.

Phone
    W380a
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    where'd you get that done? i'm also trying to find this file. with no success.... maybe will have to pay for unlock..

BH; Kabel is right. The file is not in the same location on the Exhibit II. I don't know where it is, I couldn't find it either, but can confirm it's not in the efs folder. A 0KB nv_data.bin file gets created with the command prompt in the method you posted, but that method doesn't seem to work for the Exhibit II. Granted, I know nothing about Linux so I could be doing something wrong. However, if you look through the thread you linked in your original post, you'll find someone else with a different phone who also couldn't use that method due to a different file structure. Maybe Kabel will be able to figure out where the nv_data.bin file is located, since he can use Linux commands. In the meantime, I need to leave for Hong Kong and want a backup phone so I payed $30 for an unlock code that may or may not work. I put an ATT sim from my BB, entered the network unlock, which appeared to unlock the phone, then I put everything back together again w/TMobile sim, and checked to see if it now reported an unlocked phone, but it still said network lock on. So I don't know if even the paid code works. Will report back in a week whether or not it did.

Edit: I tried the (paid) unlock code again, and this time checked with the code with both sim cards to see if the network lock is on or off. And this time it worked! I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but this time the unlock stuck, and even with the original Tmobile sim back in, after reboot, it is still reporting network lock off! So, it's not a temporary unlock, phew! That makes me feel so much better, Hong Kong here I come!

Feedback Score
    Can anyone confirm whether they've successfully unlocked the Exhibit II?

Which method did you use/which site?

I am looking at buying one, but will need to use it on another carrier.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I got the unlock code for $30 from cellunlocker.net
    It took them about 5 hours to email it, and emailed the network unlock plus some other codes I haven't used, including what appears to be a freeze unlock. It appears to work, and the phone reported network lock off after use, but I'll know for sure once I'm in Hong Kong using a local sim. I am leaving Monday am, but it will take me about 30 hours to get to my hotel, so I won't be able to report back for sure until then. If there's a problem I'll be sure to post from the hotel.

Feedback Score
    Oh, wow, that seems pretty pricey for an unlock code.

Thanks a lot for being the first one to try it -- I am eagerly awaiting the results.

Good luck.

I got the unlock code for $30 from cellunlocker.net
    It took them about 5 hours to email it, and emailed the network unlock plus some other codes I haven't used, including what appears to be a freeze unlock. It appears to work, and the phone reported network lock off after use, but I'll know for sure once I'm in Hong Kong using a local sim. I am leaving Monday am, but it will take me about 30 hours to get to my hotel, so I won't be able to report back for sure until then. If there's a problem I'll be sure to post from the hotel.

Feedback Score
    Hey Kabel...sorry I misunderstood you...I've just got the Exhibit II. I'm wondering if it's worth it ...The only thing better than the Exhibit I is the extra ATT Bands on the phone....but without the nv_data.bin there's noway to unlock and allow use of ATT bands. Now I wish I had kept my Samsung Galaxy S 4G. Worked on 3G ATT just fine after unlocking. Let us know find the file.
    I can not say about the exhibit 1, but exhibit 2 is very nice phone. I'm not sure what kind off display exhibit 1 has, but it appears that 2 has super AMOLED (i'm uncertain if the subpixel layout is pentile, AMOLED <without "PLUS" appended to it> alludes pentile), which explains about the color vibrancy and viewing angles. So, i guess that the only differences are the screen size (i do not know about the panel of the exhibit 1), the SoC and with that the difference in supported UMTS bands.
    The RAM supposed to be the same (512 Mb) ...

Looking on the t-mobile's web page for galaxy s 4g, i can not see the AT&T UMTS frequencies listed. It says, UMTS: Band I (2100);UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100). AT&T UMTS frequency bands are Band II(1900) and Band V(850). Have you rooted your galaxy s 4g, and then unlocked the AT&T bands? I'm not familiar with galaxy s 4g, this is why i' asking ...

I guess, if you can wait for 60 days, and use your exhibit 2 on t-mobile's network, then you can ask t-mobile for the unlock code. If you can not wait, maybe you should return your exhibit 2, and replace with something that is going to support the freq. of your interest ...

Take care ...

Feedback Score
    All in all. I'm keeping the ExhbiT II for the ATT bands which are included. The SGS4G specs never acknowledged the ATT bands. Sometime they do that....But when you I unlocked I was able to get 3G on ATT. Also if you use the hidden menu commands you will find the phone has the ATT bands... But nowhere they are listed in the specs.
    I posted my compare between the two Exhibit I & II. See here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0#post14617130

Break dealer for me is the II has ATT bands and I does not... But the one I is really nice phone too...Ran quadrant...and it beats the II 950 versus 1150.
    Somebody said they discontinued the I because to lower the cost. That may be right. But the extra ATT bands are worth it. Extra screen size even though not as vibrant as on the I is nicer to have. Also the two comes with gingerbread 2.3.5 while the I still keep 2.3.3 and since it's discontinued..one should not expect too much developers support of it. It never got the time to get developer support under it before Tmobile pulled the plug on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast