Thread: How do I use my Verizon iPhone 4S in Europe?

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

How do I use my Verizon iPhone 4S in Europe?

I was told the Verizon iphone 4s was a world phone so that is why I got it. Now when I'm on travel to Germany and Romania.. I don't have any service at all! What do I need to do?

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Switch your phone into GSM mode, as there are no CDMA signals in Europe. The phone doesn't automatically change over.

If that doesn't work you need to call Verizon and have them enable your international roaming. I think it is disabled by default. Beware that talk text and data are all very expensive.

Carriers
    Verizon newbie
    Maxis
    Feedback Score
    If you get voice to work properly, suggest you turn off cellular data or else you might be in for a huge surprise when you return stateside....

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305 View Post
    Switch your phone into GSM mode, as there are no CDMA signals in Europe. The phone doesn't automatically change over.

If that doesn't work you need to call Verizon and have them enable your international roaming. I think it is disabled by default. Beware that talk text and data are all very expensive.
    Actually, it will switch over automatically if it cannot find a CDMA signal.

If you are trying to use a local SIM, you need to have the phone unlocked from Verizon (if bought on subsidy) or Apple (if bought outright, should've been done automatically)

If you are trying to use the Verizon SIM that was included, You also need to activate international roaming features on your Verizon account. BE AWARE!!!! INTERNATIONAL ROAMING IS EXPENSIVE!!!!!
    WiFi Guru

Phones
    LG Clout, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Motorola StarTac ST7868W (no longer used)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How do you open the SIM slot on the right side?
    It doesn't seem to move.
    => Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vital View Post
    I was told the Verizon iphone 4s was a world phone so that is why I got it. Now when I'm on travel to Germany and Romania.. I don't have any service at all! What do I need to do?
    Did you call VZW Global Support to activate the VZW/Vodafone SIM?

If not, you need to call them at 908-559-4899.

Carriers
    Verizon newbie
    Maxis
    Feedback Score

Sorry for duplicate post

Let me ask a similar question:

Let's assume you get the Vz iPhone 4s unlocked for foreign carrier. Then you insert the foreign carrier sim card, switch from CDMA to GSM. That means the Vz account is temporarily disabled and no roaming or data charges will be incurred, is that right?

If the above is correct, then what I plan to do next trip overseas is to use skype and forward all calls to my Vz number to my skype number, and then have skype forward to my foreign carrier number.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes if you use it in GSM with a foreign SIM, Verizon won't know about it at all. Your VZ account is not disabled though, it will still be active but acting as if the phone is switched off.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S Verizon
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just got back from Europe with my new 4S. Beware of something totally lame: If you restore your Verizon iPhone 4S while in Europe you will then have a partially-functioning phone in terms of data service, messaging, and calls.

This really screwed me as I had to restore my iPhone for a software glitch and wound up with a device I could not do any texting, no data, and some calls. There is NO way to solve that problem until you return to the US and the phone is activated OTA with Verizon. Very lame issue I would have loved to know before I decided to perform a restore. This is apparently limited to the iPhone as full activation of the phone requires iTunes and for a Verizon customer to have the phone physically in the US to fully activate.

About using it in Europe, it works similar to the AT&T iPhone 4s; it will automatically find a GSM network. Just make sure to get Verizon to put a roaming data plan on your account ($30 for 50mb). One interesting annoying difference I noticed with the Verizon vs AT&T iPhone 4s was the fact that the Verizon phone does not allow you to select which European carrier to choose, like the AT&T model, it just chooses one for you. Annoying for sure.