Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Does boost mobile offer truly unlimited data usage?

Feedback Score

Does boost mobile offer truly unlimited data usage?

I have been looking for a prepaid cell phone provider that has truly unlimited data usage without being throttled for long time! I have had two different android phones on different carriers, And both had claimed to have unlimited data usage! While virgin mobile does have unlimited data usage they cap the speed and make it unbearable to do anything! I am looking into boost mobile and have been in the past. I want to know if there data usage is Truly unlimited without any interruption or throttling the speed??? I plan on using 20GB-50GB of data each month! (streaming tether p2p etc) And while when I called boost mobile they said they will allow that amount of data, Under there terms and conditions say that unlimited data does not mean excessivee amounts of data! So can I use 20GB-50GB of data each month without any problem?

Feedback Score
    Yes they do. One user claims 3 gigs a DAY or 150 gigs a month. BUT you have to use THEIR phones/devices with some exceptions.
    NO BYOD for the cool stuff (4g/wimax/Android) . Not without breaking the law.

Or you can TRY the Windows Mobile to Android trick. Google it.

The only prepaid carriers offering UNLIMITED data and meaning it are 1)Net10 Unlimited . 2) Verizon prepaid. 3)Boost cdma and iden. 4)Att Gophone feature phone plan. Oh yeah, and Virgin Mobile. Unthrottled. Uncapped. Thus far.

Feedback Score
    Virgin throttles, Right? Don't the rest too! Excepting boost, of course.
    Putting the phone you want on the service you pay for is not a crime. No one has ever been convicted of it!
    No one has ever been convicted of talking about it either!

If you think I helped, please Click the star below. Unfortunately there is no "you're an idiot" button yet, but you can PM me!
    | | |
    VVV

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Zapp is also unlimited, but there are rumors that Boost is going to throttle next year, just like Virgin.

I personally hope they do.

Sent from my PC36100

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I guess I will go with boost mobile so I can use as much data as I want! If they do start to throttle the data usage in the near future wouldn't existing customers be garndfathered in to the original plan?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nope, There won't be anyone grandfathered to unthrottled data on Virgin, or Boost when they do initiate it. Speeds are expected to throttle down to 256kbps after 2gb or 5gb (not released yet for Boost).

But, did you think to check what your average speeds are where you live? There are quite a few places where Sprint's 3G speeds are so slow, you couldn't pull in 100mb in a day.

Personally, I like that, especially when you hear people constantly talking about hogging all the data they can.

Feedback Score
    Yes I have my speed is very good at least before it gets throttled, And then it makes it impossible to even gey a 100mb a day! I was able to download a 1.5gb torrent anime file in lesss then 3 hours before my speed got capped! And some people are not purposely data hogs! It just that all the want as far as the service goes! I know for a fact for the month I had virgin mobile I used less then 30mins out of my 300mins and sent less then 800 text for the entire month! My only interest in my wireless carrier is data usage and texting! So I am trying to find the right and affordable prepaid carrier that will allow me to usage the amount of data I want, Especially seeing how I use very little of there cellular minutes or other features!

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The problem is, you, as well as many many others... want to use the service for something it isn't sold for.

To many people think that because they can get unlimited 3G for $.50/day (ON THE PHONE ONLY) that it means they're entitled to whatever their PC/Consoles can pull in while tethered to the phone and according to the Terms you agreed to when signing up (or when you sign up)... you aren't allowed to do that. The service isn't sold so you can tether and download torrents, or from newsgroups, or whatever you do from a PC. When you do that, you are breaking your agreement to Boost, and you are hurting others around you, and those who use the service as it is sold to them.

You're not allowed to tether, you're not allowed to use the service in a manner that would be constituted as abusive usage, or unacceptable usage.

That's why everyone is starting to throttle, and set caps. The reason why everyone who only needs to use 3-5gb per month will be limited to less than that (at higher speeds) is because of people who think they're holier than thou and can abuse the system.

It's people who think everything is theirs for the taking that causes the rest to suffer.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angel beats View Post
    I plan on using 20GB-50GB of data each month! (streaming tether p2p etc) And while when I called boost mobile they said they will allow that amount of data
    I'm curious, do you think that amount of usage warrants a home broadband connection? And do you think it would be faster and/or easier to use a broadband connection?
    How is it that we give up houses, businesses and bank accounts when we want a divorce but can't part with a couple of hundred bucks to find cellphone bliss?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Too many people are always trying to pinch here and pinch there to save $5.00 a month.

Not only that, the luxury of mobile broadband is a benefit to those who leach off the network.

I pay almost $150 per month for my home and office internet connection... and with the speed, support, reliability, and service I receive, it's well worth it not to be a leach.

Feedback Score
    When I talked to boost mobile they said they do allow tethering per their terms and conditions. I also do have cable internet and plan on keeping it.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, whoever you spoke to was either misinformed, didn't understand, or has no idea what you were talking about.

The Boost Terms of Service Agreement are as follows:

UNLIMITED USE DOES NOT MEAN UNREASONABLE USE.

To ensure that all customers have access to reliable services provided at a reasonable cost, you may not use our service in a manner that interferes with another Boost Mobile customer's use of our service or disproportionally impacts Boost Mobile's network resources. Prohibited Uses: Boost Mobile services are provided solely for live dialogue between, & initiated by, two individuals for personal use & as otherwise described in this policy. Boost Mobile services may not be used for any other purposes, including, but not limited to, conference calling, monitoring services, data transmissions, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, interconnection to other networks, telemarketing, autodialed calls, other commercial uses, or other connections that do not consist of uninterrupted live dialogue between two individuals. If your plan includes data services, such services are provided solely for purposes of web browsing, messaging, & similar activities.

Examples of Prohibited Use of our data services include but are not limited to use thereof (1) with server devices or host computer applications, or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, including, but not limited to, disproportionate Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections, peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable "bots" or similar routines; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; (3) to send or receive unusually high numbers of messages (4) to engage in atypical web usage behaviors; (5) for tethering your device to a personal computer or other hardware; & (6) for any other reason that, in our sole discretion harms our network. We will presume you are engaging in a Prohibited Use, in violation of these terms and conditions, if you are placing an abnormally high number of calls, or repeatedly placing calls of unusually long duration (as compared to other customers on the same service plans), or if your usage is harmful or disruptive to Boost Mobile's systems or services. If we determine, at our sole discretion, that you are using an unlimited service in violation of the Boost Mobile General Terms & Conditions of Service, these Terms of Service, or in any other manner that we deem to be unreasonable or excessive, then we may terminate individual calls, or, after providing notice to you, terminate your service, decline to renew your services, or offer you a different service plan with no unlimited usage components.

Feedback Score
    I just got done reading the terms and conditions and it say that nowhere under their policy! Also I don't believe they were misinformed. When I aked them about the new smartphone that came out in OCT and if it would be able to tether they said no and if I wanted a good tehter phone to get the prevail! I had also called boost many times regarding this matter, And even talked to a supervisor about data usage. Every representative assured me that they allowed me to tether and use 20+ data month! But I figured they where just telling me what I want to hear sales pitch!

http://support.boostmobile.com/servi...ies/terms.html

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Again, that information is wrong, and misinformed.

Here's what the Support Terms and Conditions state...

Quote Originally Posted by boostmobile.com
    Specific Terms & Restrictions On Using Data Services
    In addition to the rules for using all of our other Services, unless we identify the Service or Device that you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, wireless routers, Data Link, etc.), you can’t use our data Services: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, or other systems that drive continuous, heavy traffic or data sessions; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; or (3) for any other unintended use as we determine in our sole discretion. We reserve the right to limit, suspend, or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our networks’ performance or hinders access to our networks. If your Services include Web or data access, you also can’t use your Device as a modem for computers or other equipment, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, with “phone as modem” plans, mobile broadband card plans, wireless router plans, etc.).
    The quote above is on both Boost and Sprint's Terms and Conditions page.

And here's a screen cap of the GENERAL TERMS and CONDITIONS...

Feedback Score
    Am not seeing this anywhere on boost mobile site! And I find it hard to believe all the different representative where all misinformed! Do you have a link to the screen capped that image is from?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast