Thread: Any MyTouch 3G (non-slide) users out there that can help with some questions?

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Any MyTouch 3G (non-slide) users out there that can help with some questions?

I recently picked up my first Android phone, a Samsung Exhibit II, but I'm not crazy about it. Can't get used to having to pick it up and fumble around for the tiny power button constantly to get the screen to come back on. Hate the fact that the USB is on the top...battery life is really short and it's awkward using it while it's connected at the top.

Thinking of returning the Exhibit and picking up a TMOB MyTouch 3G, there are still plenty of brand new ones out there and they're reasonably priced. I like the idea of the dedicated buttons.

Problem is, most of the info out there is from when the phones were originally released with Cupcake or Donut. I was hoping that somebody who's been using one with the 2.2 Froyo update could help me out. I'm trying to get some answers...

Is the Portable Hotspot feature available? And if it is, have you had any success using it on TMOB? It's there on the Exhibit, but when I tried using it, it just redirects the connected PC's browser to the "upsell" page.

Is there built-in support for voice dialing? (not from an app) Can you just press the bluetooth button and get audio prompts for commands?

Does Froyo on the MyTouch give you multi-touch gesture capability? Does it work in the photo app for swiping for one pic to another?

I've heard conflicting info about whether or not the funky proprietary micro USB accepts standard chargers and accessories. Any experience with that?

Does the calendar have custom/multiple alerts, so you have have more than one alert per event, at custom times?

Any other thoughts on using the MyTouch with Froyo, please share.

Many thanks in advance!

RJ

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Was the original ever updated to froyo? I didn't think it made it that far

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using HowardForums

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Pretty sure that TMOB did OTA Froyo updates to the MyTouch. Guess I'll find out in a few days when mine comes in from Cowboom.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Summary before you read: get a newer phone.

I was one of those that pre-ordered back in 2009. Awesome phone back then.

T-mobile ran over the air updates from 1.5 to 1.6 and eventually 1.6 to 2.2.1, so froyo=yes (although a custom version)

It does not create a wi-fi hotspot, you can only tether via usb - but it does not drive you to an 'upsell' screen (or at least it didn;t back over this past summer when i was still using it) - decent speed, and your phone stays charged while you tether, but - again - old tech. (no wifi calling either)

Is there built-in support for voice dialing? (not from an app) Can you just press the bluetooth button and get audio prompts for commands? - yes

Does Froyo on the MyTouch give you multi-touch gesture capability? - yes

Does it work in the photo app for swiping for one pic to another? don't remember

I've heard conflicting info about whether or not the funky proprietary micro USB accepts standard chargers and accessories. Any experience with that? its not micro usb - its mini-usb - accepts all standard mini usb chargers/plgus. However the supplied mt3g charger will only work with phone

Does the calendar have custom/multiple alerts, so you have have more than one alert per event, at custom times? way too detailed for me to remember, would never use calendar on hone anyways - set it up in gcal.

Any other thoughts on using the MyTouch with Froyo, please share. don;t do it - the processor and ROM is too old to really run this software well. If you are going to go 2 years with a contract on a phone - this is not he phone for you

If you insist on it - pm me - i have a white one in almost new condition -

Good luck

Device(s)
    V300
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile (USA)
    Feedback Score
    The version of froyo distributed by T-mobile for the mytouch3G is really bad, especially on the Fender Limited Edition.
    It slows the phone down to be almost unusable. However, cyanogenmod version of froyo works well (apart from giving the screen a green tint!).
    So, it seems to be some bug in the version of froyo distributed by T-mobile, rather than the phone not being capable enough to run froyo.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just dug my MT3G out of mothballs last night for a project, and put Cyanogen on it, and it's running pretty great. I did have the green tint issue, but that was fixed with a quick kernel update which I found here.

E: Sorry about the thread necromancy; I didn't see the date on the last post until now.