Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Wi-Fi on iPhone 4 after iOS 5 update!

Phones
    iPhone 4S 16GB
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carriers
    StraightTalk Wireless
    Feedback Score

No Wi-Fi on iPhone 4 after iOS 5 update!

Wifi is grayed out and it says no wifi next to it. I have tried reseting network settings, removing the sim, rebooting and restoring many times. Still no wifi!

Anyone have similar problems on their GSM iPhone 4?
    iPhone 4 running on StraightTalk Wireless 3G (AT&T MVNO)

Time Warner Cable (Home ISP)
    [/URL]

Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    looks like a trip to the apple store may be needed
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Phones
    iPhone 4S 16GB
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carriers
    StraightTalk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Got it fixed. I was using my Win7 Laptop to upgrade/restore to ios5 and no matter what it would disable Wifi. I used my OSX Hackintosh PC to restore and it worked instantly. Go figure.

Phones
    iPhone 4S 16GB
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carriers
    StraightTalk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Not fixed. Went back to not working. Seems to be a wide spread bug with ios5. Both bluetooth and Wifi are broken for me now.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRomeo View Post
    Not fixed. Went back to not working. Seems to be a wide spread bug with ios5. Both bluetooth and Wifi are broken for me now.
    I hate it when people say it's a wide spread problem with ios 5. I don't have it, and judging by the number of responses you didn't get, lots of others don't have it either. It's phone specific, not iOS wide. Are you jail broken?

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB (curr)
    iPhone 3G 8GB (prev)
    UTStarCom 6700 (prev)
    Feedback Score
    I don't see anyone else reporting it... 3 people in my office have updated without issue.. 1 over the air and 2 via itunes...

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRomeo View Post
    Did you start with an iTunes backup ... then upgrade the OS and then do a sync (not a restore)?!

I'd do THAT before claiming widespread bug and also find out a multitude of sources to backup that claim.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback
    Mah Na Mah Na.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    8525/TyTn
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    edit - double post

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    8525/TyTn
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    I hate it when people say it's a wide spread problem with ios 5. I don't have it, and judging by the number of responses you didn't get, lots of others don't have it either. It's phone specific, not iOS wide. Are you jail broken?
    No, it's actually affecting a lot of people inc a few I know personally that don't post on forums. But you can check plenty of threads like this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...250&highlight= or this with over 20k views and 15 pages of complaints regrading WiFi trouble https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=210&tstart=0 ... there are dozens and dozens of threads and reports like this across other forums and online.

My Apple store in the mall has said they've had numerous complaints of people calling or coming in regarding WiFi issues after going to iOS 5.

My 3GS and 4 both have it, they worked fine for a week (just like others who know have the issue) and then glitches galore. My 3GS is jailbroken, but w/o the jb' it still won't connect to WiFi unless I'm right next to the router. And it's not my $$ N router as other devices work fine inc other peoples iphones w/o iOS 5. And my Macbook Pro get's the signal out back on my dock. Disregarding that, going into settings and resetting both phones and the network itself, nothing changes. Restoring from clean, syncing... trying different combo's... nothing fixes it.

I'm able to downgrade back on my 3GS to test since I have old bootram, and it works fine on 3 and 4 os's. Reinstall iOS 5, and no WiFi unless I'm within a few feet of the router. That right there proves it's an issue with iOS 5 itself.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Finance Man View Post
    No, it's actually affecting a lot of people inc a few I know personally that don't post on forums. But you can check plenty of threads like this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...250&highlight= or this with over 20k views and 15 pages of complaints regrading WiFi trouble
    Not 15 pages, 15 posts. Not every one of those 15 were complaints.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    Let's say there were even 1000 posts of individual people complaining.. Compare that to the millions upon millions who have the phone and upgraded to ios5, it's not widespread by any means. It's a blip on the radar but I hope they figure it out for the minority of users experiencing it.

This happened on my girlfriends phone on 4.3.5 and fixed itself with a network settings reset.
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    8525/TyTn
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    Not 15 pages, 15 posts. Not every one of those 15 were complaints.
    15 post yeh right, might want to actually read through that whole thread ... go google and find dozens of various threads about iOS 5 and WiFi. Heck my Apple store even said they've had numerous complaints about WiFi & Bluetooth not working correctly after updating to iOS 5, obviously it's not that small of an issue for the store to say that however they said theirs nothing they can do as Apple doesn't have any info in their system to reference regarding this. Not everyone is on a forum, I personally know a few others having the same issues but they don't post on forums.

I mean I'd love to see an explanation of why my 3GS and 4 only work on WiFi if I'm within like 3 feet of the router. Especially since I downgraded to previous OS's to check on my 3GS and WiFi works fine. Install iOS 5 again, and WiFi doesn't work, haven't played with bluetooth so not sure there regarding the BT issues others are reporting. Why some are affected and others not, no idea. But obviously my test on the 3GS reverting back to previous iOS versions shows it's an issue with iOS 5 itself.

My 4 isn't jailbroken, so it's just stuck with no WiFi. Plus if I go to friends places, it will connect to their network provided I'm near the router, but walk away from it and it drops the signal. Neither phone had this issue until updating to iOS 5.

Plus for people not grandfathered into unlimited and had small data plans, this is screwing them now that they can barely use WiFi like most would at home and eating their data plans up.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post

This happened on my girlfriends phone on 4.3.5 and fixed itself with a network settings reset.
    Doesn't seem to work with this issue now. I've tried and others have as well. I even redid my home network settings to no avail. Even replaced the #6 cable in the phone on a whim thinking it had gone bad, but no change.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Finance Man View Post
    15 post yeh right, might want to actually read through that whole thread ... go google and find dozens of various threads about iOS 5 and WiFi. Heck my Apple store even said they've had numerous complaints about WiFi & Bluetooth not working correctly after updating to iOS 5, obviously it's not that small of an issue for the store to say that however they said theirs nothing they can do as Apple doesn't have any info in their system to reference regarding this. Not everyone is on a forum, I personally know a few others having the same issues but they don't post on forums.
    Nope, double checked the Mac Rumors forum thread that was provided. Only 15 posts, not 15 pages and not all were complaints.

The link provided to the Apple Support Forums comes up as invalid.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 ACTIVE
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
    I don't see anyone else reporting it... 3 people in my office have updated without issue.. 1 over the air and 2 via itunes...
    Yep.... No issues here. WiFi and blutooth work as they normally do after I updated.
    AT&T LTE Network Hartford, CT Area

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    8525/TyTn
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    Nope, double checked the Mac Rumors forum thread that was provided. Only 15 posts, not 15 pages and not all were complaints.

The link provided to the Apple Support Forums comes up as invalid.
    Doesn't matter, that's just 1 thread out of dozens across other forums and online post. Obviously theres an issue. And I never said MR had 15 pages, look at my OP, it says here's the link to Apple Support with 15 pages of complaints.

And the Apple Support links works fine for me, 16 pages now, and the 1st page alone has 12 complaints. https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=225&tstart=0

Care to explain how my 3GS downgraded works fine on OS 3 and 4... but reinstalling iOS 5 and WiFi doesn't work? Obviously that points to a software issue, and why it's affect some and not others, no idea. But it's far from a small problem if even the Apple stores said their receiving complaints. I even sent a detailed response to Apple showing how downgrading back works fine for me and a few others who are able to do so (old bootram etc), but with iOS 5 it doesn't work. And not just a 3GS problem since my 4 and others with their 4 have the same issue after iOS 5.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast