Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coverage Map

Feedback Score

Coverage Map

I was wondering, when Republic Wireless says they are using Sprints Network does that include roaming to Verizons Network. I was thinking it would not but on their website it says
    "How much does domestic roaming cost? International?
    Domestic roaming is free. Although we don’t offer cellular service internationally at this time, your republic wireless phone can place calls over Wi-Fi from anywhere in the world to the U.S
    ."
    So are they saying roaming is free or there is no roaming?

Phones
    w376g
    xv 6700
    v176
    Carriers
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

roaming remains ambiguous

That's the big question, isn't it.
    This is what they say, but Sprint's coverage map alone doesn't help with this question.
    from the website:
    How much does domestic roaming cost? International?
    Domestic roaming is free. Although we don’t offer cellular service internationally at this time, your republic wireless phone can place calls over Wi-Fi from anywhere in the world to the U.S.

Its pretty clear this is still way early in their product offering and they're waiting to see what the response is and then hash out these details. I'd love the WiFi option, but I'd need to know once I walk out the front door that it will work. Do you loose a connection when WiFi drops, or the signal transfers over to cellular (and reverse). Will they let you sign up if you're outside sprint coverage, would you want to, and so on.

Feedback Score
    I am pretty sure that the transition from Wifi to Cell is seemless (or it is suppose to be ;-) ). I will say that one concern would be connecting to a wireless that has high latency or little bandwidth. I don't think it would be smart enough to know that it should switch to cell at that point.

Phone
    LG 5300
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrose78 View Post
    I was wondering, when Republic Wireless says they are using Sprints Network does that include roaming to Verizons Network. I was thinking it would not but on their website it says
    "How much does domestic roaming cost? International?
    Domestic roaming is free. Although we don’t offer cellular service internationally at this time, your republic wireless phone can place calls over Wi-Fi from anywhere in the world to the U.S
    ."
    So are they saying roaming is free or there is no roaming?
    When they refer to roaming, they are probably referring to the ability to roam around the USA (while using Sprint's network). Sprint has great wholesale deals out there, and Verizon doesn't. I'm sure Verizon wants no part of this plan. Can you imagine Verizon offering a plan for $19 a month with 550 minutes, 150 texts and no roaming (not even including the wifi component)? There's a lot of people that would go with that just to get Verizon service at a low price. They are the premium brand and if they allowed Republic phones to roam on their network for free, I would be surprised.

Just 10 years ago, roaming meant going out of your state and paying roaming fees. If Verizon were to get involved with something like this (maybe with Straight Talk) I'd probably get it.

Feedback Score
    maynard7 your probably right. I imagine they have done away with long distance calling too ;-) . Revolutionary for sure. I almost forgot Pagpluscellular uses verizons network and for 29.99 you get 1200 minutes and 1200 texts plus I think 200mb of data or something like that . So this isn't that far fetched.

Feedback Score
    I would be pretty sure that it is refering to Native Towers only and no Verizon roaming.
    Just my guess. So far as I have heard there are no Sprint MVNOs tha have roaming, not even Boost and Virgin.

And to the Mods and Admin. Thanks for the sub forum. This will help simplify Republic discution.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Phones
    (on) iPhone
    Pantech
    Carrier
    (on) ATT
    Feedback Score
    I'm interested in knowing more !!!

Sub forum...... great.
    MTIA
    C
    ---------------------------------------
    My Feedback !!

" The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act."

Feedback Score
    Eventually I suspect they will get all the current posts on Republic Wireless moved over to this sub forum, but you could do a search on my posts. Recently I have posted a bunch of info from their sight and a email or two on the forum to give as much info as possible for those who are interested.
    I signed up first day they were taking orders and am sharing everything that comes my way.
    Or just find all the posts that have RW in the title and read, there is a lot here.

Phones
    (on) iPhone
    Pantech
    Carrier
    (on) ATT
    Feedback Score
    I for one will be lurking and asking Q's :-)

THX

Feedback Score
    I just read a tweet from republic "Then no worries. We work on all of Sprint's roaming partners. Also, just so you know, there is a 30 day money back guarantee." If this holds true that is really a big deal. That means they use sprints map not Virgin Mobiles.

Phones
    (on) iPhone
    Pantech
    Carrier
    (on) ATT
    Feedback Score
    Can't wait to hear some user's experience !!

Phones
    HTC One M8
    HTC One M8 (Sprint)
    iPhone 5s (CBeyond)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    I would be pretty sure that it is refering to Native Towers only and no Verizon roaming.
    Just my guess. So far as I have heard there are no Sprint MVNOs tha have roaming, not even Boost and Virgin.

And to the Mods and Admin. Thanks for the sub forum. This will help simplify Republic discution.

I know for a fact that CBeyond does (my work cell is through them), and even allows EV-DO access to more areas when roaming than Sprint itself does. That said, they are aimed at businesses--but are a Sprint MVNO (just got the Evo the other week and are promoting it like it's the second coming lol).

--Nat

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrose78 View Post
    I just read a tweet from republic "Then no worries. We work on all of Sprint's roaming partners. Also, just so you know, there is a 30 day money back guarantee." If this holds true that is really a big deal. That means they use sprints map not Virgin Mobiles.
    That would be HUGE!!!
    I usually support government regulation, but It is unfortunate that the government over-regulated and killed the AT&T/ T-Mobile Merger
    The best explanation of the pricing nutiness in the industry.
    Why Sprint and T-Mo will always suck.
    The only way to end the pricing insanity is to eliminate contracts and subsidies.
    I want Wifi calling on AT&T.
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I know for a fact that CBeyond does (my work cell is through them), and even allows EV-DO access to more areas when roaming than Sprint itself does. That said, they are aimed at businesses--but are a Sprint MVNO (just got the Evo the other week and are promoting it like it's the second coming lol).

--Nat
    Then Sprint is changing their rules. In the past Sprints MVNOs were held to their native towers. That is how they got Sprint service by name and got it so cheap.
    I would be very surprised to learn that Verizon is allowing roaming on their towers through this service.
    Not saying it is not possible, just don't think it's likely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    Then Sprint is changing their rules. In the past Sprints MVNOs were held to their native towers. That is how they got Sprint service by name and got it so cheap.
    I would be very surprised to learn that Verizon is allowing roaming on their towers through this service.
    Not saying it is not possible, just don't think it's likely.
    I'd be surprised as well if they allow roaming on Verizon it would seriously make me consider switching over from VM

I have a hard time believing it's possible though because the service is only $19 a month and roaming isn't cheap if roaming is allowed it's likely it will either be severely limited or end up like metro pcs roaming were you have to buy roaming minutes in order to use roaming

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast