Thread: Virgin Mobile's MSL Algorithm

Feedback Score

Virgin Mobile's MSL Algorithm

Here's the deal: I bought a used Virgin Mobile Helio Ocean 2 (made by Pantech) that was activated 9/2/09 with PRL 20231. Using this information AND knowing that VM bought Helio in June of 2008, this means that the phone was activated with VM service.

I keep contacting VM because I need the phone's MSL to flash the phone, but they keep telling me they don't have the code because "it's not a VM device" (BUT IT WAS, just not anymore) and they can't calculate it because the Ocean 2's ESN isn't in their database anymore (since VM dropped Helio).

I feel like that's not true. I might agree with them that they don't have records of the phone in their database, but the phone was indeed activated with VM, so doesn't that mean they would have used their algorithm to give the phone its MSL code? Regardless of the ESN not being in their database anymore, can't they still use the algorithm?

Is there any other way to get the MSL code?

By the way, before anyone tries to tell me I can't flash the phone, I have heard of one other person who has. And for those of you who tell me the phone won't connect to a PC, I have contacted several Ocean2 owners who say using the original USB cable for the phone, a PC recognized the device as a Mass Storage Device.

So, with General Pantech Drivers (worked with TXT8040 and PN810A), the phone should connect to a COM port and be readable. I'm working on trying to get an original Ocean 2 USB cable...it was certainly different as it had some sort of On/Off switch on it or something. It looked like this:
    Name:  VM Ocean USB.png
Views: 4471
Size:  50.1 KB

Sorry about the long post, but any information about VM and their MSLs is much appreciated.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I saw a method that involved using logcat. On xda-developers. That's all I remember.

Edit: Memory was wrong, here's the method.
    http://androidforums.com/3211893-post1.html

Except I think you have to dial ##SPC# or something similar... whatever famous code people around here have to dial to get you to PROMPT for it.

Feedback Score
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't aLogcat just an app for Droids? The Ocean 2 being a non-smartphone, I have no access to it. Or do I?

I can get to the Ocean 2's DEBUG screen (##33284#) and RTN hard reset screen (##786#) without my MSL, but to enter the phones port map menu (##1122end), engineering mode (##46632874end), DATA menu (##3282#), and MIN/MDN editor (##SPC/MSL#), I need the MSL.

Feedback Score
    I am trying to get the msl for VM kyocera rise. any suggestions welcome.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Virgin Mobile's MSL Algorithm

You could use cdma workshop I think. Why do you need your msl?

Sent from my HTC One V using HowardForums

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Probably to flash a prl. Which doesn't do anything on a non-roaming mvno like VM, IMO. Either way I don't think there is a procedure to get the Msl on the Rise yet.
    Last edited by hershey_squirt; 12-29-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- Beanstalk Kit-Kat 4.4.2 -- LTE + ART enabled
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Others:Moto G, F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Feedback Score
    I just need a way to get cdmatool or cdma workshop to connect to the phone and read the spc. when i try to put it in diag mode it ask for the MSL.

I want to flash the phone to work on a local cdma carrier

Feedback Score

Kyocera Rise SPC/MSL

did any one have any luck reading the SPC on VM Kyocera rise?

I have about 10 I need to flash to a local CDMA carrier.

Phone
    HTC Evo V 4g
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    FB, it could very well be the tech dept had the capability.. but is a pain in the butt and getting them to budge for an out dated feature phone is probably the bulk of your problem.