Thread: T-Mobile 2G Speed Test

Feedback Score

T-Mobile 2G Speed Test

Good Evening. I'm trying to determine if it's worth it to go from Virgin Mobile to the new TMO $30 plan. Unfortunately, all I get in this area with TMO is 2G coverage. 3G/4G is about 20 miles away. Probably no plans to get any better here any time soon. Was wondering if some kind folks here could post their speedtest.net results for TMO 2G connection. On VM 3G, I average about 480 kbps on download. Can you post your 2G TMO results here please?
    Thanks very much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnywrestling View Post
    On VM 3G, I average about 480 kbps on download. Can you post your 2G TMO results here please?
    It's not worth it. The max theoretical speed of EDGE is 236kbps, but the best speed tests I've seen on EDGE come about to about 150 kbps. You should stick with VM if you have no T-Mobile 3G coverage.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I'm bored so I'll run a few tests for you. I turned off WCDMA so I'm running on the GSM network (Edge/2G) on an HTC Sensation. I'm getting roughly 2-4 bars while testing and am sitting in one location.

Mobilespeedtest.com - 1mb test:
    2.92 Mbps
    1.88 Mbps
    4.40 Mbps
    4.55 Mbps

Speedtest.net App:
    .18 Mbps
    .17 Mbps
    .15 Mbps
    .11 Mbps

As you can see the results vary depending on what you use to measure them. Sometimes full web pages will load quickly with edge, sometimes they won't. It's sort of hit or miss. If anything I would try out T-Mobile and see for yourself how it works in the area. I couldn't get to speedtest.net however I did run tests from the app.

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    I'd agree not worth it, especially if you don't even get EDGE.

Last time my phone was on "G" (slowest data) I tried running a few speed tests and it kept timing out. Not even good for basic web browsing.

With Edge I was getting around 0.10mb.

And with 4G I get at least 1mb, as high as 7mb. (Though lately it's been closer to 1-2mb.)

You should find out if you at least get EDGE in your area. If not, and it's only "G" (GPRS I think it's called) then definitely not worth it. You're paying for 5GB and with a GPRS connection you'd be lucky to hit 5mb.. in a year!

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's closer than 3G with T-Mobile here, I'm 50 miles from the nearest 3G with them (they are all GPRS and EDGE in our area). However, I have 3G from AT&T, Verizon and U.S. Cellular PLUS "4G" from AT&T. I definitely would NOT do it, going from 3G to 2G is like going from broadband to dial-up, NOT fun

Feedback Score
    Wow, thanks for all the great advice. I had no idea there was such a dropoff. Yes, best to stick with VM and wait for the next line of smartphones. Wish I could afford one of the big dogs, but I can't.

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    If it's 20 miles away, keep a lookout on http://compass.t-mobile.com for updates. They launched a lot of 3g near me in Illinois and Wisconsin in the last month and a bit more outside st. louis a month before that so they are still expanding. They generally don't announce it, it just appears.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes the maps are behind actual 3G coverage improvements and the newer maps on t-mobile.com/coverage is are even further behind vs the compass.t-mobile.com maps. Boulder City got 3G months before it was ever on the maps. If you can manage 150-200Kbps on EDGE it's a pretty decent experience. GPRS is 40Kbps usually, very slow and not worth it if you are in GPRS coverage often.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12