Thread: Industry Nets

Feedback Score

Industry Nets

HI, I've heard this term in relation to the Mike service. Can anyone tell me what it means?

Feedback Score
    anyone? Industrial or Industry Nets?

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    When you signed up with MiKE, you chose an industry net. There were five or six of them like Construction etc. This meant you could DC only other MiKE users in your industry net and not across nets. Large customers had their own dedicated nets and couldn't call outside. I don't remember exactly when this changed but I think it was the same time that we could DC with Nextel users.

Feedback Score
    Thanks very much, just a quick follow-up, what do you mean by " this changed", it is not offered anymore?

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    By "this changed" I mean that the default became being able to DC any other MiKE user. I think that large user groups can still limit their access. A few years ago, I tried to DC a police friend of mine and it did not work.

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot

Carrier(s)
    Telusmobility
    Feedback Score
    There's a few ways they did things, which make it really handy for big businesses.

There's the Group Call function where you can communicate with any number of devices. You can see it on shows on National Geographic and Discovery. There was the one where they were building the cruise ship. They all had mike phones, but they were on a Group Call list. Where the foreman could call out things and everyone would be listening to him. They were mike phones (not walkie talkies)

Then there is the Fleet ID. Fleet ID segregates users from the rest of the world (privacy) which is what you are referring to. They are restricted to only their Fleet ID, and they cannot communicate outside of it. You can choose a fleet ID when activating a phone, or you can assign a random PTN I believe is the acronym for just a random 'mike' number.

There is a company around here who has a contact in their list set up as a "group" which is the maintenance group. And they can use their phone normally, but when they want to send a group message like: "Breaker Breaker 1-9, someone go check out the unit on site #34. Sub-Box 4a has a short and is surging the power line."... something like that, they can just call the group, and someone can reply to ensure that "someone" can take care of business. Works awesome, and I'll be sad to see it go.