Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ZTE N762 - Android 2.3 and UMX MAX MXE-670

Carrier
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score

ZTE N762 - Android 2.3 and UMX MAX MXE-670

The page http://www.publicmobile.ca/pmconsumer/phones?lang=en has changed since the previous check.

Added:
    + ZTE N762
    + * Android 2.3
    + * 3.5" touch screen display
    + * Email and web-friendly
    + * 2 MP camera
    + * Speakerphone
    + *
    + Find a store near you
    + Details
    + Max
    + * Android 2.3
    + * 3.2" touch screen display
    + * Email and web-friendly
    + * 3.2 MP camera
    + * Front-facing camera
    + *
    + Find a store near you
    + Details

FCC ID Q78-ZTEN762 ??

msm7627 (based on FCC photos), also have SIM slot in FCC photos

But no hotspot?

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...39;Q78-ZTEN762

then select: "declaration Letter For hot spot mode"

(direct linking not work)
    ------
    Then

http://umxusa.com/cdma/mxe-670/
    QSC6085

Max
    Android 2.3
    3.2" touch screen display
    Email and web-friendly
    3.2 MP camera
    Front-facing camera

FCC ID ??
    ---

Has anyone brought one of those yet?

Which phone can be rooted?

ie:

Remember, many other models not on the list also work with SuperOneClick. Pretty much the only models that are confirmed not to work are those that have a NAND lock, preventing writing to the /system mount, which include the following:

· Sprint EVO 4G (HTC Supersonic)
    · Droid Incredible (HTC Incredible)
    · HTC Desire GSM
    · HTC Desire CDMA (HTC BravoC)
    · HTC Aria
    · Droid Eris (HTC DesireC)
    · HTC Wildfire (HTC Buzz)

SuperOneClick can put into the less-permissive Shell Root on the aforementioned devices, however, but for a full root, you can use another application called Unrevoked to remove the lock.

Before continuing, you should also check the up-to-date compatible and incompatible lists provided by root software developers and community members. This XDA developers thread is an excellent resource.
    Last edited by kocoman; 11-18-2011 at 07:51 AM.
    25GB Cap? DIY Telnus prepaid/Koodo unlimited EVDO internet (for $10 per 2 months, to keep account "Active"), Max 3Mbps download speed, if you roam on Bell (free), then you get non-NATed IP

mobile files is reopened - Aug 11/2010
    HoFo = censorship same as US censor wikileaks = china censor

Phone
    HTC Desire HD
    Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No Wi-Fi hotspot support? On An Android 2.3? Don't Android 2.2 and above devices include the wi-fi hotspot natively? That sucks for people that want to tether their phone's mobile data connection to a computer, tablet, iPod Touch, etc. That's just for the ZTE though. Maybe the MAX has it.

Way too much bezel on the MAX. Not impressed with that. That's probably the biggest bezel-to-screen ratio I've seen on a smartphone.

People on Mobilesyrup are *****ing that Public Mobile's unlimited talk, text and data smartphone plan is too expensive at $45. When really it's the same price as WIND Mobile and Mobilicity's $35 provincial voice plan plus data ($10 extra).

I think people are getting way to accustomed to the constant low price promos offered by Mobilicity and WIND. These can't be sustainable. Mobilicity invested over $200 million in the 2008 spectrum auction and even more building out their network. Their investors are going to expect a return on investment. The constant promos may be why Dave Dobbin got the sack recently. And Orascom (now owned by Vimpelcom) invested almost $1 billion into WIND Mobile Canada and now WIND Mobile investor Naguib Sawiris went public to the CBC about his regret starting up WIND in Canada. And they've come out with a second $29 promo and they're are heavily subsidizing smartphones on 3 year contracts (Windtab+). They owe so much money to Vimpelcom/Orascom, they can't even pay off the interest payments with the revenue they are bringing in.

Not sure if Public Mobile really have a future in Canada with CDMA. And whether they can make an impact in the upcoming 700 MHz auction as they are the smallest player. But they're probably going about business a smarter way than WIND and Mobilicity's "race to the bottom". And their spectrum purchase was very cheap. Reducing the smartphone plan to $30/month for 6 months is a reasonably good promo. It's not a "for life" promo. But giving away unlimited talk, text and data for $25/month for life can't be very sustainable in the long run. A growing company like Public Mobile should steer clear of "for life" promos. As they grow in size, they will need to increase the ARPU (average revenue per user).

Carrier
    Rogers Communications Inc.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by droidacolyte View Post
    No Wi-Fi hotspot support? On An Android 2.3? Don't Android 2.2 and above devices include the wi-fi hotspot natively? That sucks for people that want to tether their phone's mobile data connection to a computer, tablet, iPod Touch, etc. That's just for the ZTE though. Maybe the MAX has it.
    if i was Public i would request that the feature was disabled to prevent abuse.

Phone
    HTC Desire HD
    Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by live_strong View Post
    if i was Public i would request that the feature was disabled to prevent abuse.
    I would rather that Public throttle/warn after say 6 GB or 10 GB or whatever limit Public finds appropriate for "fair use" than to disable tethering. I think tethering should fall under "fair use" within reason. Sharing a mobile data connection to use with your laptop, tablet, iPod Touch, PS Vita (Sony announced a 3G model), etc. on the go is fine. I think it's silly to require that the end-user get a separate data stick plan or tablet or PS Vita plan if they are already paying for mobile data for their phone. So as long as they stay within a limit. Tethering when your home internet is down temporarily is fine too. But it shouldn't be used as a home internet replacement or to get around bandwidth caps on your wired home internet.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure it is possible but you can always try to root it and get one of the third party tethering applications.

As a test, I was able to do something similar with a SE x10 mini which had an unlimited mobile browsing plan for $10/month on Rogers before they changed it to $10 for 100MB.

$45/month seems to be a decent price. For some of the data applications that I have on my AndroidOS devices (such as SlingPlayer Mobile), I would probably go for it if I needed another cellphone/plan.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Carrier
    Rogers Communications Inc.
    Feedback Score
    I would rather that Public throttle/warn after say 6 GB or 10 GB or whatever limit Public finds appropriate for "fair use" than to disable tethering. I think tethering should fall under "fair use" within reason. Sharing a mobile data connection to use with your laptop, tablet, iPod Touch, PS Vita (Sony announced a 3G model), etc. on the go is fine. I think it's silly to require that the end-user get a separate data stick plan or tablet or PS Vita plan if they are already paying for mobile data for their phone. So as long as they stay within a limit. Tethering when your home internet is down temporarily is fine too. But it shouldn't be used as a home internet replacement or to get around bandwidth caps on your wired home internet.
    there are reports of WIND and Mobilicity's data less than reliable.
    i think with the new entrant's networks in their infancy high (off device) usage is too much to handle.
    it comes down to capacity and i dont the networks are quite ready for the demand.

i do agree with your statement when it comes to established networks-the big three for instance.
    one disadvantage WIND/Mobilicity/Public face is the expectations of the public.
    when Telus/Bell/Rogers launched their wireless network there was no previous standard to meet-anything was excellent.
    starting off the carriers just had to offer voice service, then texting became big-but still used little network resources.
    the explosion of data usage on mobile devices was a challenge, but started gradually with slow 2G and working up to the current standard.

WIND/Mobilicity/Public had to build their networks from scratch and forced to handle voice, text, and 3G data.
    they did not have the opportunity to build the network then add capacity to offer data.
    Public is the one exception, offering voice and text then adding data.
    i dont believe this was an accident and it looks like it result in a "better" quality network.

Phone
    HTC Desire HD
    Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by live_strong View Post
    there are reports of WIND and Mobilicity's data less than reliable.
    i think with the new entrant's networks in their infancy high (off device) usage is too much to handle.
    it comes down to capacity and i dont the networks are quite ready for the demand.

i do agree with your statement when it comes to established networks-the big three for instance.
    one disadvantage WIND/Mobilicity/Public face is the expectations of the public.
    when Telus/Bell/Rogers launched their wireless network there was no previous standard to meet-anything was excellent.
    starting off the carriers just had to offer voice service, then texting became big-but still used little network resources.
    the explosion of data usage on mobile devices was a challenge, but started gradually with slow 2G and working up to the current standard.

WIND/Mobilicity/Public had to build their networks from scratch and forced to handle voice, text, and 3G data.
    they did not have the opportunity to build the network then add capacity to offer data.
    Public is the one exception, offering voice and text then adding data.
    i dont believe this was an accident and it looks like it result in a "better" quality network.
    Yeah no kidding. Check out my amazing WIND Mobile data speeds. And I ran this test just now at night.

And here's TELUS.

Man even that TELUS download speed result sucks (I'm using a 14.4 mbps HSDPA phone). Even Robellus aren't exactly all that great with data speeds when there's network congestion (at this time of night though?).

Carrier
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    I think its best to test data speeds when you are very close to the tower, because the carrier can't be blamed if its because of low signal in your area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    $45/month seems to be a decent price. For some of the data applications that I have on my AndroidOS devices (such as SlingPlayer Mobile), I would probably go for it if I needed another cellphone/plan.
    I take it you haven't seen Wind's $29/month plan or Mobilicity's $25/month plan for essentially the same thing?

And on devices that aren't forever locked to one carrier?

Phone
    HTC Desire HD
    Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    WIND and Mobilicity have better promos but those prices are insane. The "race to the bottom" pricing is not sustainable. These companies owe hundreds of millions of dollars to their investors. The investors expect a return on investment. Public borrowed a lot less money and their active sub numbers are almost as large as Mobilicity (Mobi reported 250k activations but didn't disclose churn. Their estimated to be at 165K.)

Like I said, I'm not too keen on Public using CDMA. But like Boost Mobile and MetroPCS, their Androids are cheap anyway. That makes it easier for someone to take the plunge. And for a discount brand, a $170 Android makes sense. The expensive AWS phones are popular for the HoFo/Mobilesyrup/RFD crowd. But the mass public would be turned off at the prospect of putting down $500+ for a phone or committing to a 3 year contract with a newbie like WIND (yes the Windtab+ is essentially a 3 year contract. You need to stay with WIND for 3 years to pay off the phone.)

Sent from my Nexus S using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    I think its best to test data speeds when you are very close to the tower, because the carrier can't be blamed if its because of low signal in your area.
    But that would result in skewed test results. People aren't spending most of their time hanging out by towers. It wouldn't give a reliable indication of the quality of service.

Sent from my HTC Panache using HowardForums

Carrier
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reveries3 View Post
    But that would result in skewed test results. People aren't spending most of their time hanging out by towers. It wouldn't give a reliable indication of the quality of service.

Sent from my HTC Panache using HowardForums
    If you get full speed while next to "your" tower, that means the internet is not "throttled".

Its hard for cell company to make new towers, a lot of politics I think is involved

your best alternative would be to get a repeater/booster/amplifier, and an external antenna

Feedback Score
    WIND and Mobilicity have better promos but those prices are insane. The "race to the bottom" pricing is not sustainable. These companies owe hundreds of millions of dollars to their investors. The investors expect a return on investment. Public borrowed a lot less money and their active sub numbers are almost as large as Mobilicity (Mobi reported 250k activations but didn't disclose churn. Their estimated to be at 165K.)

Like I said, I'm not too keen on Public using CDMA. But like Boost Mobile and MetroPCS, their Androids are cheap anyway. That makes it easier for someone to take the plunge. And for a discount brand, a $170 Android makes sense. The expensive AWS phones are popular for the HoFo/Mobilesyrup/RFD crowd. But the mass public would be turned off at the prospect of putting down $500+ for a phone or committing to a 3 year contract with a newbie like WIND (yes the Windtab+ is essentially a 3 year contract. You need to stay with WIND for 3 years to pay off the phone.)

http://shop.windmobile.ca/ProductCat...29&color=green

$120 for an android phone, no contract :P

Carrier
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpg.com View Post
    http://shop.windmobile.ca/ProductCat...29&color=green

$120 for an android phone, no contract :P
    What RF Chip model does this use? Qualcomm MXXXXXX?

Phone
    HTC Desire HD
    Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Alcatels and Huaweis sold by WIND suck though. WIND doesn't have the good Huaweis and Acatels. That said there is a good possibility that the UMX MAX and $150 ZTE also suck. Its important that the discount brands have low-end androids. But not all of them are created equal. Low-end androids are like mystery meat. Many of them are laggy, unstable POS that have no business running android. Example: The Motorola Spice. It is my back up phone. I hate it. lol. Luckily I got it for free basically on a Mobi promo.

It seems like no one has bothered to buy the MAX yet. Lol. Id be interested in hearing about the phone and Public's EV-DO network.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast