Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Non T-Mobile USB Modem Models

Device(s)
    P910i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Non T-Mobile USB Modem Models

Does anyone know of any 4G USB Modem stick that T-Mobile does not have the IMEI for. I.e. (non-branded) Naturally, I want a modem that works on T-Mobile 4G speeds.

I have an old unlimited VPN data plan that I want to use with the new stick. I have tried T-Mobile branded ones and it kicks me off immediately (assumingly due to the IMEI registration in their system)

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've looked at this problem some; I'm in a similar situation with a grandfathered rateplan.

I tried a generic Option iCon 452, Wind branded iCon 452, t-mobile branded 3G/4G sticks, they blocked all of them. What t-mobile didn't block was: TM506, Blackberry 9700, and Google Nexus One. I use the TM506 with USB tethering to a PHS-300 hotspot and it works very well (~2Mbps on USB tethering; bluetooth tethering maxes out at ~700kbps), but it only supports HSDPA 3.6

Numerous air cards that do not support T-mobile's 3G bands work just fine on 2G (Seirra Wireless 875, 875u, 881, mercury, Novatel aircards, ect...). If your fine with 2G service, pick up any unlocked aircard without AWS band from AT&T and it will work fine.

Device(s)
    P910i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Two options I am looking at currently is Option GlobeTrotter III (not 3+) and Zoom 4597. Have you heard anything regarding these?

Feedback Score
    you can use unlocked vodafone usb huawei modem, it is same one as t-mobile Sonic 4G USB adapter

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    There is one more option: SE X10i
    2.3.3 can let you use hotspot sharing.

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have a zoom modem that works great with the $30 phone plan, however no external antenna jack (officially) but a see a connector inside that might work if I can figure out what kind it is...

Oh and the zoom sticks are 3G only unfortunately.
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus works just fine as well.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I know its not USB nor HSPA+ but does anyone have any experience with the BandRich/BandLuxe C105 (ExpressCard/34), using the old t-zones data plan? This is for the occasional tether, not by any means for a constant or dedicated connection.

Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    I have a zoom modem that works great with the $30 phone plan, however no external antenna jack (officially) but a see a connector inside that might work if I can figure out what kind it is...

Oh and the zoom sticks are 3G only unfortunately.
    Is that the 4597? What speeds are you seeing UL/DL?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm hoping to answer this question myself. I have a Cradlepoint MBR1200 router and I'm hoping to use an unlocked Novatel MC545 USB modem. I signed up for the smartphone unlimited nationwide 4G data plan. It's HSPA+42 compatible but the only drawback is for HSPA+ in the USA there is only 1900MHz. Fortunately I will be using it in one of the newly announced 1900 MHz HSPA+ markets and in testing the SIM card with an unlocked Ipad 3 I consistently get 12-15 down and 3 up with sub 40ms pings.

I will report on my experiences in a few days but I'm hoping someone has experience with how T-Mobile will react to high usage (average of 50GB a month) on the new unthrottled uncapped 4G smartphone unlimited data. If it works it will be replacing a Verizon unlimited smartphone data plan used with a USB modem which is pretty fast but suffers from the random disconnects every few days that more than a few people see.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Non T-Mobile USB Modem Models

I did something similar with the $30 plan in an unlocked zoom 3G modem and router, after about 100 megs they cut you off and start redirecting to the "buy a tethering addon" page. However, using the modem by itself I was able to go all the way to 5 GB

Carrier(s)
    VoiceStream Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I did something similar with the $30 plan in an unlocked zoom 3G modem and router, after about 100 megs they cut you off and start redirecting to the "buy a tethering addon" page. However, using the modem by itself I was able to go all the way to 5 GB
    How exactly did you do that? I usually set up a VPN tunnel...

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know if there is any USB modem that can be used with the 200MB free data for tablets plan?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Won't work, their system sees the wrong user agent and eventually blocks after a few hours. I used an unlocked iPhone too and it was quick.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Won't work, their system sees the wrong user agent and eventually blocks after a few hours. I used an unlocked iPhone too and it was quick.
    I plan on using it with an Android device so useragent shouldn't be an issue. I'm installing an AppRadio headunit in my car and will use one of those Android mini PCs with it. Obviously their own USB sticks won't work since they know the IMEIs but I'm wondering if a non t-mobile one would work. Maybe I'll grab one and try, you can get 3G sticks for around $15. It would be awesome if it works since I won't have to pay anything and 200MB of data is plenty of some GPS navigation every now and then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast