Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quad core news

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quad core news

Not much in terms of details has been leaked recently. Are there phones scheduled for 1 or 2Q 2012? Are OMAP CPUs versus Tegra 3?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In rumor is the HTC Edge, that is notably said to have a 1.5 GHz Tegra 3 quad-core processor, a 4.7" display, 32 GB of storage, and numerous HTC products including a new cloud service from them, then there's the HTC Zeta, that is notably said to have a 2.5 GHz Qualcomm quad-core processor, a 4.5" display, and "complete cloud content" whatever that means (probably a glorified lack of storage designed to save manufacturing costs), But I haven't heard anything about one from Motorola yet.

Sent from my DROID3 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have read about them, but what about Motorola's phones?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I presume we see soemthing at CES?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The next OMAP SoC's are OMAP 5, the 5430 and 5432(slightly larger apparently cheaper option) They are not quad core but dual-dual core. 2 28nm ARM Cortex A15 cores and 2 (slow, low power) M4 cores. They also have PowerVR 544 multi-core GPU. The Tegra 3 is 4 40nm ARM Cortex A9 cores and their GPU. Even though the OMAP 5 is not "Quad Core" it looks to be a really nice bump in performance along with a big decrease in power consumption. At the moment I would rather go with the OMAP 5 than the Tegra 3. We need to wait and see more specifics on what else is on the horizon.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    To keep up with the other manufacturers there would have to be some Quad cores phones after some earlier OMAP 5 phones were released?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    To keep up with the other manufacturers there would have to be some Quad cores phones after some earlier OMAP 5 phones were released?
    IMHO, it depends on what you mean by "keep up" - in marketing or performance. I believe a dual core Cortex A15 will outperform a Quad core Cortex A9 design, Cortex A15 has about 5X the performance of Cortex A9 and a 40% power savings, also I doubt we will see much software optimized for quad core until 2013. It doesn't look like we will see Quad Core Cortex A15 designs until 2013. But you never know something cool might come up, someone may be working on something. Personally, with a quick look at the specs I would not want a Tegra 3 phone vs. an OMAP 5 phone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What about power management between your dual versus quad core examples?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbh2 View Post
    The next OMAP SoC's are OMAP 5, the 5430 and 5432(slightly larger apparently cheaper option) They are not quad core but dual-dual core. 2 28nm ARM Cortex A15 cores and 2 (slow, low power) M4 cores. They also have PowerVR 544 multi-core GPU. The Tegra 3 is 4 40nm ARM Cortex A9 cores and their GPU. Even though the OMAP 5 is not "Quad Core" it looks to be a really nice bump in performance along with a big decrease in power consumption. At the moment I would rather go with the OMAP 5 than the Tegra 3. We need to wait and see more specifics on what else is on the horizon.
    Doesn't the Tegra 3 actually have 5 cores?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I believe that some of the quad cores have 5: four for normal processing, and one used only under standby or idle conditions?
    Wouldn't Motorola use the OMAP chips for Verizon and the Tegra 3 for AT&T phones?

Feedback Score
    I'm more interested in a 4g phone with good battery life...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Second gen LTE chips should help battery, and the quad core+ one should as well.

Feedback Score
    Second gen LTE chips should help battery, and the quad core+ one should as well.
    I'll be with my nexus until 2013, so I'm sure by then the phones will be much, much better. That is the biggest downfall to the phone now.. can't go a day without charging it. With my old voyager, I could go a few days on one charge.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I believe that some of the quad cores have 5: four for normal processing, and one used only under standby or idle conditions?
    Yes. Tegra 3 does actually have 5 OMAP 9 cores. The fifth is max clocked at 500mHz IRC and is used as you stated. I still think OMAP 5 will have the performance edge. OMAP 5 has double the L2 cache that Tegra 3 has, I believe it has higher memory bandwidth and last I checked it has a superior GPU.

Wouldn't Motorola use the OMAP chips for Verizon and the Tegra 3 for AT&T phones?
    Hard to say. I got the impression Moto wasn't that thrilled with their experience with NVidia and Tegra 2, but I may have read more into some insider comments than was intended.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't be looking for a Tegra3 phone from Mot, and I wouldn't buy one from anyone else. NVidia makes great GPUs for PC, but for mobile phones they are lacking. The top end specs that get quoted on these blogs make the chips look awesome, but with everything in life the devil is in the details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast