Thread: Is it safe to give out DEC number?

Device(s)
    800w
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO
    Feedback Score

Is it safe to give out DEC number?

I'm selling a Sprint Touch Pro & some guy keeps emailing me asking if he could get the ESN # so he could check with Sprint whether he could use the phone or not with his plan. Naturally I ignored him. Now he's saying he was mistaken & needed the DEC # to check for phone compatibility. Is there a reason why he would need that? I mean the Touch Pro is the Sprint model.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkspade View Post
    I'm selling a Sprint Touch Pro & some guy keeps emailing me asking if he could get the ESN # so he could check with Sprint whether he could use the phone or not with his plan. Naturally I ignored him. Now he's saying he was mistaken & needed the DEC # to check for phone compatibility. Is there a reason why he would need that? I mean the Touch Pro is the Sprint model.
    he's just wanting to check to see if it's reported lost/stolen or has a balance on it

the DEC number is a form of the ESN, it will be listed as HEX and DEC, but for some reason most Sprint reps have no idea what to do with the HEX even though it's the same thing.

You would not believe how many idiots here in Phoenix try to sell their phones on craigslist as "ready to activate" but when you check the serial number on it, it has a balance owed or is reported lost/stolen

so in essence, yes as long as you have nothing to hide (eg lost/stolen or unpaid bill attached to device), you have nothing to worry about
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: TWC/Spectrum "ultra" (I want Wide Open West back!)

Device(s)
    800w
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO
    Feedback Score
    Ok, thanks for the info.