Thread: Flashing Straight Talk service to Verizon Android

Feedback Score

Question Flashing Straight Talk service to Verizon Android

I've recently took my Verizon Samsung Continuum and flashed it to my Straight Talk Service. The process was smooth, everything seemed to pan out right. I am able to send and receive texts, but I am not able to receive or make outgoing calls. When I attempt to make a call it says "We can't authenticate your phone" Maybe someone can give in depth details about how to solve this problem and explain more about it.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ESN cloning? That's illegal.

But, maybe your prl is wrong.

Sent from my PC36100

Feedback Score
    Yes, ESN cloning. I decided to do it because I came across the subject around the web and wanted to try it myself. Pretty nifty. But yeah I was thinking the prl was wrong too. Some people were saying to clone the ESN while the Straight Talk service was deactivated then activate it after. If it were the prl how could you solve that issue?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, best of luck to you.

But you should know, it is against forum rules to post guides, or instructions regarding ESN cloning on HowardForums.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Now that the rules are a little bit less restrictive, I can explain how this is done and why it doesn't always work and why the phone almost always stops working after some point. As per usual, this isn't an invitation to break the law, so don't blame me if you go and get sued by America Movil.

Cloning to Straight Talk is accomplished by modifying the MEID of a Verizon phone to that of an unactivated, Verizon Straight Talk phone. Verizon uses A-Key authentication (which can't be read from any of Straight Talk's phones, as far as I'm aware), so by cloning after-the-fact, there will be an error recording played when dialing a number on the cloned phone.

A Verizon "clone" can simply be over-the-air activated (in other words, don't activate the Straight Talk phone). Sprint phones are put on Straight Talk by means of using a Verizon intermediary donor that the A-Key can be read from.

Then it crashes and burns... All of the CDMA Straight Talk phones have some variant of America Movil's "air tank" software, similar to what TracFone and Net10 use. There is a two-way communication process that takes place between Straight Talk's servers and your phone, via text messages. Since a cloned phone lacks the "air tank" software, eventually Straight Talk's servers catch on and either cancel your service or you're stuck with a "pending transaction" message that blocks your ability to refill your airtime or switch to another handset.

As with everything, there are some exceptions - Straight Talk did have some older models that lacked the "air tank" software and the Samsung R451C might be usable as a donor (it has some known backdoors).

Finally, America Movil is not high on the list of companies that radiate nice warm fuzzy feelings. While Boost may not care much about people cloning phones onto their service, America Movil puts a big nasty legal warning on the back of all of their boxes and they have been known to "ban for life" and sue. Plus, as the law currently reads, MEID altering is illegal. You have been warned.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'll bet it isn't that Boost/SPG doesn't care... I'll be more inclined to believe that without doing some major traffic monitoring (which they can easily do)... they're not interested in focusing a lot of energy into finding people with cloned phones at the moment.

But, with Boost becoming more and more popular and more and more sites/forums showing guides to clone... I'll bet you it will be caught on and accounts will be terminated with funds lost, and ESNs banned.

Feedback Score
    Appreciate the feedback. I like the answer's. I'm not using this as an alternative to use an android on a day to day basis at a cheap price. I just came across some ESN cloning guides and wanted to try it for myself to see if it were possible and worked. I basically did it for my own educational purpose. I like learning how to do new things, I'm a bit of a technology geek. I restored the ESN back on the Verizon phone. Basically using the Continuum as learning device so I can get familiar with the Android platform. Learning customization, rom's, etc. I plan to move to a different Carrier, probably AT&T or Sprint or something. Debating on which Android phone would be best.

Feedback Score
    Just a hypothetical question out of curiosity ?

What are the chances you could flash one of the straight talk droids on sprint networks to verizon's ? Would the sprint droid have the air tank stuff and function or would there be too many other issues ?

Just Curious

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjr1964 View Post
    What are the chances you could flash one of the straight talk droids on sprint networks to verizon's ? Would the sprint droid have the air tank stuff and function or would there be too many other issues ?
    Any Straight Talk phone that requires the $45/mo plan does not have the air tank software.

Feedback Score
    I've actually accomplished the flashing process. And the Samsung R451C is the same Straight Talk phone I have. I successfully cloned the ESN off my R451C to the Version Samsung Continuum. My straight talk phone was already activated but once I got it to work I was able to receive and send text messages but wasn't able to call out or receive calls. It was a pretty cool experiment. I wouldn't do it again though. It'd be better just to buy the phone with whatever carrier you want.