Thread: Change carrier settings on iPhone 4S?

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Change carrier settings on iPhone 4S?

Specifically, I want to change the internet sharing APN (the one that iPhone uses for Personal Hotspot). Some carriers allow you to edit APNs but mine does not. Is there a way to do this (install custom carrier settings) w/o jailbreaking?

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    Specifically, I want to change the internet sharing APN (the one that iPhone uses for Personal Hotspot). Some carriers allow you to edit APNs but mine does not. Is there a way to do this (install custom carrier settings) w/o jailbreaking?
    Try this link.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Everyone keeps pointing this website out to me, but it doesn't change the APN for tethering, only the APN used for on device data.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    You're probably not supposed to change the tethering APN. The carrier uses this as a means to control access to their tethering services.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    Everyone keeps pointing this website out to me, but it doesn't change the APN for tethering, only the APN used for on device data.
    What exactly are you trying to do? Because unless I'm grossly misunderstanding the situation, it seems like the phone uses one way to connect to the internet and whether you are accessing using the phone or tethered with another device, it's still using that same access point, so you can't change it to access one when it's tethered and another when it's the phone directly. It's one or the other, so changing how the phone accesses the internet is also changing how the tethered device does the same thing. If you do, you have to go in and manually change teh settings each time you switch from one to the other.

And I just went to that link, and even though I have an unlocked iPhone 4S, I have no option in Settings -> general -> Network (as that site shows) to alter the APN settings at all. It's not a jailbroken phone, so maybe that's why, but the only options I have in Network is Cellular Data, Data Roaming, Personal Hotspot, VPN and WiFi and that's it. No place there to alter APN settings at all. And I have my Network Selection set to manual (Automatic is turned off and I manually select my carrier) and still, no APN settings where that site said it should be. I even opened up the manual for iOS 5 and hit the search button to look for APN and it didn't find anything in the iBook manual, so maybe there isn't a way to do it without jailbreaking.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    What exactly are you trying to do? Because unless I'm grossly misunderstanding the situation, it seems like the phone uses one way to connect to the internet and whether you are accessing using the phone or tethered with another device, it's still using that same access point, so you can't change it to access one when it's tethered and another when it's the phone directly. It's one or the other, so changing how the phone accesses the internet is also changing how the tethered device does the same thing. If you do, you have to go in and manually change teh settings each time you switch from one to the other.
    That's actually not true at all. AT&T uses different APNs for on-device use ("phone") and tethering ("broadband").

http://www.redmondpie.com://how-att-...e-it-from-them

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Correct - iPhones use a completely separate APN for tethering than on-device data. In the example given earlier in this thread, it means that AT&T can theoretically be sure that those who tether will pay extra for the feature. Personally, I use a carrier that seems to permit hotspotting (I've never been billed for hotspot usage) but to be safe I'd like to use the same APN as is used for on-device data. It seems that the only solution would be to install a custom carrier bundle, which I believe is impossible unless you're jailbroken. If anyone has any addl. info let me know.