Thread: How to connect my LG Extravert to my Macbook?

Feedback Score

Question How to connect my LG Extravert to my Macbook?

I have the new LG extravert prepaid phone for verizon. I'm trying to connect the phone through usb mass storage mode on the phone but it isn't being recognized on my 2006 Macbook. The ONLY way I have ever seen it is by downloading BitPim, which is a phone syncing software, and trying to detect my phone, and it doesn't detect it, but when it does the process, the usb disk shows up on the desktop. That is really weird, and I don't want to have to keep opening up BitPim to use the usb mass storage. Is there any LG drivers or a way to get my phone to be able to use mass storage on my macbook?

Thanks for any help!

Feedback Score
    bump! still need help! thank you.

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Samsung u370; Casio Ravine 2
    ;; broken: LG VX8700 (blank screen) and Motorola E815 (broken hinge)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On our Verizon non-smartphones (LG and Samsung brand), connecting them to the PC won't work UNTIL we install drivers.

Verizon has drivers available at two different links. When a driver is available at both links, I don't know if both drivers are identical.

(1) http://www.vzam.net/vcastmusic/

(2) http://www.vzam.net/download/download.aspx
    [or http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx ]

I believe the model number is VN271; the model number of the LG Cosmos Touch is VN270.

In regards to the first link ...
    Tthere is a driver for the VN270 at the first link that hopefully is compatible with the VN271. BUT the driver at the first link appears to work only with PCs.

In regards to the second link ...
    The second link has drivers specifically for macs and specifically for PCs. The driver for LG non-smartphones is initially broadly labeled as a driver for all LG handsets. But in the next step where the individual LG handsets are identified, I don't see a model number corresponding to the Cosmos Touch or the Extravert. HOWEVER, if there isn't any harm that would come from it, it couldn't hurt could it to install the LG driver for the Mac from the second link and see if you're then able to use USB Mass Storage mode ?

Note: The second link will try to install two components -- a driver and then a piece of Verizon software called 'VZAccess Manager'. I'm able to cancel the installation of 'VZAccess Manager' after the first component (the driver) is successfully intalled.

I searched LG's website and haven't so far spotted a driver.
    http://www.lg.com/us/index.jsp

Another idea -- Do you have or can you purchase a memory card reader so that you can insert the memory card into the reader and then plug the reader into your macbook ?

Maybe it's a long shot -- maybe someone at prepaid customer service has a suggestion ?
    Prepaid Customer Service can be reached at 888-294-6804
    Last edited by Matt_; 12-06-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    (1) "Tutorial: Making Album Art Work (Most LG phones)" (link)
    (2) "MP3's ! They are RINGTONES / A Quick howto using Audacity" (link)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    On our Verizon non-smartphones (LG and Samsung brand), connecting them to the PC won't work UNTIL we install drivers.

Verizon has drivers available at two different links. When a driver is available at both links, I don't know if both drivers are identical.

(1) http://www.vzam.net/vcastmusic/

(2) http://www.vzam.net/download/download.aspx
    [or http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx ]

I believe the model number is VN271; the model number of the LG Cosmos Touch is VN270.

In regards to the first link ...
    Tthere is a driver for the VN270 at the first link that hopefully is compatible with the VN271. BUT the driver at the first link appears to work only with PCs.

In regards to the second link ...
    The second link has drivers specifically for macs and specifically for PCs. The driver for LG non-smartphones is initially broadly labeled as a driver for all LG handsets. But in the next step where the individual LG handsets are identified, I don't see a model number corresponding to the Cosmos Touch or the Extravert. HOWEVER, if there isn't any harm that would come from it, it couldn't hurt could it to install the LG driver for the Mac from the second link and see if you're then able to use USB Mass Storage mode ?

Note: The second link will try to install two components -- a driver and then a piece of Verizon software called 'VZAccess Manager'. I'm able to cancel the installation of 'VZAccess Manager' after the first component (the driver) is successfully intalled.

I searched LG's website and haven't so far spotted a driver.
    http://www.lg.com/us/index.jsp

Another idea -- Do you have or can you purchase a memory card reader so that you can insert the memory card into the reader and then plug the reader into your macbook ?

Maybe it's a long shot -- maybe someone at prepaid customer service has a suggestion ?
    Prepaid Customer Service can be reached at 888-294-6804
    I was able to install the driver from the second link. I didn't see anything that said all LG phones, but I chose the download that had all the LG phones listed, the one with all the VX models. It's not available for 64 bit mac, so I had to restart and boot into 64 bit mode, then I tried to install it and it said I had to be administrator, but I was, so I had to enable root access, and log in that and install it, but when I did, and logged in my own username, I plugged in my extravert, but it still didn't show up.

Is there another step to take?

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Samsung u370; Casio Ravine 2
    ;; broken: LG VX8700 (blank screen) and Motorola E815 (broken hinge)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm trying to cover all the bases, so please be bear with me.

- Since I don't know what your degree of familiarity is with USB Mass Storage mode is, I have to ask.

After you've plugged the usb cable into the phone, did you then navigate through the phone's menus and select "USB Mass Storage" in the menu option ? On our phones this option is located in the menu called "Tools" [not "USB Mode" under Settings & Tools -- that's something different]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You didn't specify what type of media you're trying to transfer [music ? pictures ? video files ?]

Besides using a memory card reader, USB Mass Storage mode, or BitPim, I can think of two more ways that you might be able to transfer media.

On our two phones under 'Settings & Tools', scroll down toward the bottom of the list and select 'USB Mode'.

You'll then see three options: Media Sync Mode, Modem Mode, Ask On Plug

Selecting one of these determines how your computer and your phone will respond after the phone and the computer detect that the phone has been plugged into the computer with a usb cable.

Media Sync Mode is something that I have little familiarity with since I use USB Mass Storage mode all the time. But when I tested Media Sync Mode just now, it appears to be used just for transferring music. I don't know though if Media Sync Mode requires a driver to be installed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're able to establish a Bluetooth connection between the phone and your computer and depending on the bluetooth abilities of your computer, you might be able to transfer pictures and or music and or video

If you have another cellphone, a little more tedious workaround is that you use phone#2 as a middle man between the computer and the Extravert. What I mean is that if you have a second phone that you're able to connect to the computer, then you can transfer media to that phone. Then what you'll do is create a bluetooth link between the Extravert and phone#2. Doing that I've been able to transfer pictures and ringtones. I haven't tried transferring music or videos between two phones.

LG has a forum. I read it now and then, and I think their moderator trys really hard to help people.

You could ask them there for any guidance about these USB Mass Storage mode problems

http://www.lgforum.com/forum

You could also see if anyone has any ideas at Verizon's forum:
    http://community.vzw.com/

And you could also try the forum on this website for Verizon prepaid phones:

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Pulse-EasyPay

You could try a memory card reader. On amazon.com there are a lot to choose from, and I don't think you'd need any drivers to use a memory card reader on your Macbook

You could stop by a local library that has PCs for the public to use, bring a flash drive with you, and see if one of the PCs will permit you to install an LG driver so that you could then transfer media back and forth between the flash drive and the Extravert with the library's PC acting as a middle man.

I can't think of any other ideas right now to suggest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    I'm trying to cover all the bases, so please be bear with me.

- Since I don't know what your degree of familiarity is with USB Mass Storage mode is, I have to ask.

After you've plugged the usb cable into the phone, did you then navigate through the phone's menus and select "USB Mass Storage" in the menu option ? On our phones this option is located in the menu called "Tools" [not "USB Mode" under Settings & Tools -- that's something different]

You didn't specify what type of media you're trying to transfer [music ? pictures ? video files ?]

Besides using a memory card reader, USB Mass Storage mode, or BitPim, I can think of two more ways that you might be able to transfer media.

On our two phones under 'Settings & Tools', scroll down toward the bottom of the list and select 'USB Mode'.

You'll then see three options: Media Sync Mode, Modem Mode, Ask On Plug

Selecting one of these determines how your computer and your phone will respond after the phone and the computer detect that the phone has been plugged into the computer with a usb cable.

Media Sync Mode is something that I have little familiarity with since I use USB Mass Storage mode all the time. But when I tested Media Sync Mode just now, it appears to be used just for transferring music. I don't know though if Media Sync Mode requires a driver to be installed.

If you're able to establish a Bluetooth connection between the phone and your computer and depending on the bluetooth abilities of your computer, you might be able to transfer pictures and or music and or video

If you have another cellphone, a little more tedious workaround is that you use phone#2 as a middle man between the computer and the Extravert. What I mean is that if you have a second phone that you're able to connect to the computer, then you can transfer media to that phone. Then what you'll do is create a bluetooth link between the Extravert and phone#2. Doing that I've been able to transfer pictures and ringtones. I haven't tried transferring music or videos between two phones.

LG has a forum. I read it now and then, and I think their moderator trys really hard to help people.

You could ask them there for any guidance about these USB Mass Storage mode problems

http://www.lgforum.com/forum

You could also see if anyone has any ideas at Verizon's forum:
    http://community.vzw.com/

And you could also try the forum on this website for Verizon prepaid phones:

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Pulse-EasyPay

You could try a memory card reader. On amazon.com there are a lot to choose from, and I don't think you'd need any drivers to use a memory card reader on your Macbook

You could stop by a local library that has PCs for the public to use, bring a flash drive with you, and see if one of the PCs will permit you to install an LG driver so that you could then transfer media back and forth between the flash drive and the Extravert with the library's PC acting as a middle man.

I can't think of any other ideas right now to suggest.
    Yes, I choose the USB Mass Storage mode on the phone and I plug it up. My phone has 3 modes for USB, it has Mass Storage, Modem Mode, and ask on plug. I am just trying to transfer everything, like if I took photos, I want to take them off my card and put them on my macbook, I'd like to put pictures on the memory card to view on the phone, put music on the phone, take videos off, take contacts off, etc. I use mass storage mode.

I haven't tried bluetooth yet, thought I am familiar with it as I've used it with other phones.

My phone can technically connect as a mass storage device, but I have to first open bitpim and try to detect the device, then it shows up as a disk on the desktop, so I can access it.

Thank you so much for all of your help. Thanks for working with me. Still trying to figure this out.

Phones
    Pantech Hotshot
    Pantech Hotshot
    LG Extravert
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had just gotten a LG Extravert for my wife and she wanted some ringtones. I searched for ringtones but couldn't figure out how to install them. I went to the LG website and looked under Mobile and came up with a solution. http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGVN271 read through the instructions and install the driver before connecting the phone. See if that helps.