Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Telus has changed their text roaming pricing

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

Telus has changed their text roaming pricing

I used to be the biggest fan of Telus. I used to consider them to be the only cell phone company that hasn't screwed me over. Seems to me these ads you see on TV about Telus listening to you and "We're learning" is a bunch of crap! It's more like "We're screwing you!"

Tonight I called into tech support to say that I am sick of their terrible data speeds (1/20th of a mega byte) in my area. This has been going on now for about 8 months, and my tolerance is running out. They ran some tests, only to tell me that my area is over saturated and it's network congestion that is cause the slow speeds. I explained to them that this isn't my problem, I pay for this data....and I can't even use it! The rep the told me that they can't do much about congestion. I replied with "oh yes you can, you can build more towers..." He didn't have much to say about that....

While on the same phone call, I inquired about getting the text roaming pass added to my phone since I am going out of the country. It used to be that I would pay the $20 for the pass, and because I had unlimited texting, it made all the texting I did no extra charge. NOW, you add this and you pay 20 cents per text for USA and international whether you have a texting package or not!! And if you want unlimited texts, its $40 and that is only for the USA!

Now, I can understand paying $40 for a roaming pass if there was some airtime and data to go along with it, but $40 for just texting is ridiculous!!!

Telus is much more expensive than some other carriers, but I'm with them and pay the larger amounts because I prefer to drive a Denali as opposed to a Civic...but, the way Telus is going...I may find myself in a brand new Honda soon.

It would seem that some of the big shots in the upper level executive suites thought that they weren't making enough money so decided to double the price in one shot.

Hopefully some of those said big shots will read this and realize that perhaps they are making some damaging decisions...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrokk View Post
    Hopefully some of those said big shots will read this and realize that perhaps they are making some damaging decisions...
    They want all your money, as much as you will give them. And Canadians just pay up, so they will keep increasing, and increasing, and...

Phones
    iPhone4
    iPhone5
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The shareholders say how do we get more money and this is the result.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (WhiteBerry Bold 9780: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Yeah I use that $20 text pass for free texting abroad as well. Just used it last week and all my texts were free, but I was told by members of this forum that it was going to be $0.20 per text as of today (with the $20 text pass). I wasn't aware of the $40 option though...I agree that's a ridiculous price just for text.

Does anyone know if incoming texts are still chargeable at $0.20 with the new $20 text pass?

TELUS has made some good progress lately (http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-quot-You-quot), but there are still areas they can improve on. One is these text increases, and the other is the fact that they bill data in 20KB increments when you're roaming (except for in the US which is still by the KB).
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 11-29-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Wind Huawei E181
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I think the rep was misinformed about the SMS package. TELUS recently fixed an issue in their billing system where people were getting charged LESS to send SMS in the US on PPU then what they were supposed to be charged. The $20 add on still lowers the cost of sms to $0.20 per sms and then with your unlimited plan it covers the cost of that last $0.20. As far as I know there is still only the one type of roaming sms addon and it's the same for the USA and all other countries.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/c...packages.shtml

Also, I don't think building a tower is actually a small feat for a cell phone company. It requires a lot of planning and also cost/benefit ratio where it may be cheaper for the company to have 50 people get upset and cancel their plan then to pay the cost to lease a spot for a tower+put up the tower+maintain the tower. I don't think they actually need to put up new towers but they need to allocate more bandwidth to those towers servicing the area, someone with some actual network knowledge may want to chime in as I have 0 understanding on the intricacies of how this stuff works.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Blackberry 9100 (retired)
    Feedback Score
    You're close.

There was a billing issue that was allowing clients to buy the $20 pass and not pay for any SMS in the US because the domestic plan was covering the .20, the issue was 'fixed' and now clients are being billed correctly.

$40 SMS Pass = Unlimited
    $20 SMS Pass = .20/each (in/out)
    $10 SMS Pass = .30/each

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (WhiteBerry Bold 9780: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Optics
    You're close.

There was a billing issue that was allowing clients to buy the $20 pass and not pay for any SMS in the US because the domestic plan was covering the .20, the issue was 'fixed' and now clients are being billed correctly.

$40 SMS Pass = Unlimited
    $10 SMS Pass = .30/each
    That explains the inconsistent messages from TELUS agents. This explanation makes sense, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. I'm very disappointed with this. $40 for texting?! Wow...

Thanks for the information.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Wind Huawei E181
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Optics View Post
    You're close.

$40 SMS Pass = Unlimited
    $10 SMS Pass = .30/each

Ah, I see you are correct. This should be fun for TELUS reps to have to deal with after everyone is used to getting no charge for SMS with that package haha.

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It's not a fix, it's an increase....let's call a spade a spade. Please allow me to elaborate on my theory.....

There is absolutely no reason why they wouldn't be able to charge the $40 to begin with, they chose to charge $20! They said the roaming pass was $20, and when combined with your unlimited texting plan made it unlimited...if you didnt have a texting plan, then it would cost you per text. At the time, I assume that is what they thought a good price point would be for the add on, comfortable enough that people would pay for it.

Back before HSPA, with their CDMA, they didn't charge you anything extra to text while in the USA. At first, it was only the Telus HSPA that has a roaming add on...it wasn't until a few months after the launch of their HSPA that they changed the CDMA to be the same..

My theory of what happened was when they negotiated their new HSPA roaming agreements they didn't have the same bargaining power as the CDMA. It's a trade off, eg...Telus roams on ATT, and vice versa...but because USA carriers already had GSM roaming agreements in place with Rogers, the only GSM provider in Canada for the longest time, the new deal for Telus most likely involved a cost. So, hence the $20 add on...then, I would image, they noticed that a lot of people were using this service while traveling and it could become a much larger cash cow for them.....otherwise, they would have just made the texting add on $40 to begin with...

It's all about increasing the bottom line....not a price correction. Do you really think that if it were billing problem, they wouldn't have fixed the problem way before the two year anniversary of their HSPA network? A two year billing problem that was affecting their profit margin?

Just sayin....

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Feedback Score
    When TELUS launched HSPA the CDMA rates were to raise and match the HSPA roaming rates exactly but due to a different billing issue this didnt occur until the end of April 2011. This new issue is unrelated but still a correction to what TELUS had intended to charge from the very beginning.

You can put your tinfoil hat back on the shelf now.

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Triple Optics....

Seems to me that you may be employed by Telus. You seem to know a lot about this "price correction".

I know that Telus has reps that troll the blogs and forums to do damage control...

Perhaps I should keep my tin foil hat on for the time being...

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Feedback Score
    Its all about who you talk to and how you ask the question.

I live in Vancouver and have worked in the call center industry for the last 10 years so I have connections with all of the Big 3 as well as Shaw and a number of other unrelated services (Pacific Blue Cross, Teligence Communications, blah blah blah)

So no damage control here, just me trying to give useful info that was provided by conversations with TELUS reps that I know or spoke to regarding my own acct/usage

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    Ugg. So it's apparently all true.

The $40 for unlimited text roaming package is a business feature so you will only see it when browsing around the new business mobility pages.

https://business.telusmobility.com/s...ab3_cat410002v

There are some boxes near the bottom that used to show the old $20 rate plan and it looks like that right now they have hastily removed the old text.

Blah!

Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Available for 7 days at a $5 discount? That's new. Most of my trips are a week, so that would suit me well. Too bad there's not much value anymore.

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    IHDT56PG3, BCG-E2642A, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Adrokk,

I would suggest you to jump the ship as soon as your term with TELUS is over. Rogers has unadvertised plans that include unlimited text while roaming in the US.

As for "building more towers" to relief congestion is wrong solution, especially in the urban environment. Not only sites must be strategically to offer optimal level of coverage through a lot of red-tapes, it also risk to create interference when new sites are getting closer to the existing ones. The signal from all the sites would also be tuned down because of that. The proper solution is to adding more bandwidth / channels to the status quo.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast