Thread: Free text app that lets you change caller ID

Feedback Score

Free text app that lets you change caller ID

Hey, I have Simple Mobile on my 3GS running 4.1 on 06.15.00. Only a few people in my contact list cannot send or receive texts from me. I tried various APN settings, Cydia fixes, and customer service rep resets.

Is there a free texting app that will show my cell number in the caller/text ID? Effectively using this app as my go to texting method. I don't want to spoof anyone and I'm aware of the legality of spoofing. The ID would be my own and would be my personal number. There's gotta be an app for that.

Thanks!

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    Cydia's BiteSMS is probably your best bet, but you're looking at 10-15˘/message to send out ($5 minimum credit buy in) and requires you to have a data package or wifi to use. They will send your ID as your cell phone number, as they confirm your number through a registration text sent to your phone).

I've used Bite's service successfully in the past on a text-messaging-blocked number. Plus buying SMS credits gives you a year of ad-free use of their Texting app.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    SMS shows the telephone number by default. The name only shows if the recipient has a contact with which that number is associated. The problem has to be in how the destination phone handles the incoming message.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, i understand that my name will only show if it's saved in the contact list. My issue is that the message does not go through at all. And it seems to be onlsend select few people in my contact list that i cannot text with. What settings or teaks could I use to make set my phone to receive texts then?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The problem could be that you are using firmware for an iPad. There is no SMS functionality with iPads.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Earl, but I find that many people update to the ipad bb with their iphones with no issues besides losing GPS and not being about to downgrade. I had Simple Mobile do a carrier reset, two days later, the problem is fix and I can text to and receive text from all people in my contact list.

New problem, since the Rep did the carrier reset, my edge network is gone. APN settings haven't changed. Now I don't know what to do.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried downloading the google voice app there is one for both iOS and android. I have used it for both and sending and receiving SMS is used by data either wifi or cellular. It uses a tiny bit of data. I have even used it on inactivated cell phones over wifi and cellular with all carriers.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Google voice will have a separate number just notify your contacts of the. Number you are USing for SMS. This will not work for mms. To get pics I have people email them to me.

Feedback Score
    Whoa, wait. You used the google voice app to send SMS over the cellular data network without a cell plan?

And the point is to my number show up on the caller ID...especially when I'm giving my number to the laaadies. I'd be like "call me! or text me on this other number...yeah it's so I can text for free...Wait...where are you going????" Sorry, it just screams I'm cheap. I try to hide my frugality at least til I seal the deal
    Last edited by jonnydelux; 12-02-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Phones
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I have used it on cell phones that were not active but used wifi. Actually if you are giving your number to strange women then google voice is a must I have had my gv number for years. It forwards both SMS and voice calls. However if you give your number to someone you shouldn't have you can block that number easily. They will get the recording. "the number you have dialed has been disconnected please check the number and dial again". They usually don't think to call from a different phone. I have a google voice number that forwards to an AT&T phone, a pageplus (Verizon) phone and a home line that is free and incoming calls only (that I never use). When the google voice number is called all 3 phones ring at once. You can set it to ring up to 6 phones. My dad is old and sick so the way I have it set up he can reach me fast if he needs to and my number is local to him. I have gv on my iPad and my galaxy tab. If they are all on at the same time. They will all get the SMS Message at the same time on the gv app. You can also do voice and SMS on a computer as well. Since I have a bunch of phones my gv account is invaluable. My friends and family don't have to keep up on which phone I am using.

I sure wouldn't give out my actual cell number to people that I don't know. The gv number makes it easy.

Feedback Score
    That sound like a good idea. However, I read somewhere that simple mobile doesn't allow for gv call forwarding. Too bad, I get stage 5 clingers on the regular