Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do 4G phones also work on 3G?

Feedback Score

Do 4G phones also work on 3G?

Yes im sorry, its a very NOOBish question. Basically got a Iphone 3GS, my first Iphone, for ST and just am not liking it. No free Nav and the battery draining bug thats yet to be fixed is a big pain.

Anyway now im looking for a Android phone. A few choices Ive come across are the Samsung Captivate I897, Motorola Atrix 4G and HTC Inspire 4G. On a unrelated note, anyone have experience with these phones?

Does a 4G phone work with a 3G network when 4G isnt available? Because my area does not have 4G.

Didnt even think, im using a SIM for the Nokia which is a 3G phone. Can that even be put into a 4G phone without problems?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, 4G phones work on 3G.

Sent from my Atrix 4G

Feedback Score
    ok thanks. I think ive decided on the Atrix 4g. Seems people really like it after the 2.3 update. What has been your experience with it?

Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    They just dropped the price on the Atrix laptop dock by $450. Just sayin...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/04/w...-yours-for-50/

Cheers
    USCC SCH-i500 JT's VGB6 & JT's Kernel3

"Call me big daddy when you back that app up"

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
    ok thanks. I think ive decided on the Atrix 4g. Seems people really like it after the 2.3 update. What has been your experience with it?
    Its better after 2.3, compared to 2.2. But I run CyanogenMod myself and I prefer that over any branded experience.

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was rockin' cyanognemod, then I saw dorian's new Cm7 redpill hybrid and am liking that much better. I'm not even sure all what's changed, but it feels smoother, better transitions, fast...and Clemsyn's kernel...seems a bit better than faux's, from what I was reading. At any rate I'm quite happy with it. A little pissed that three days after I bought my lapdock for $89, the price went down to $75 for refurb, $99 new, then like a day later I guess even the new ones were $50.

At the same time, I hate the blur-bloat, so I'm just letting my lapdock sit by the wayside until they integrated webtop into CM...I think they probably will someday...

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Side note on the Atrix CM ROMs: the kernels help, Clem's OCs more (ie CPU, GPU, Memory) while Faux's is just a bunch of optimizations and some OC of the CPU. I use Faux's as I don't see the need to OC. Its definitely more optimized than the stock kernel. Transitions are faster by the way if you go into Spare parts and change the animation speeds to fast.

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'll try the spare parts trick. Had seen that before but never followed up.

I'm actually running at 1ghz, UV -100mv and it flies along, from what I understood he took faux and further optimized things, but could be wrong. At any rate I'm pretty dang happy! If they get fingerprint working and webtop going I'll be over the moon! ...I do miss the Inspire's screen, however. I actually like the lower res and the big size, made it easier for finger navigation with my big sausage fingers. I just set the pixel density to 260 and that seemed to help things a bit.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    They do have fingerprint kind of working and are working on it. (http://code.google.com/p/atrix-dev-team/downloads/list latest weekly) Webtop is unlikely though.

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    They do have fingerprint kind of working and are working on it. (http://code.google.com/p/atrix-dev-team/downloads/list latest weekly) Webtop is unlikely though.
    There was a comment, can't remember if it was xda, rootzwiki, atrixforums (or whatever that forum's called) that gave me hope, somebody who seemed credible (not sure if it was a dev or just longstanding member, but it caused me to take note) mentioned it was being worked on for CM7. I don't know if that just means landscape HDMI mirroring, full webtop, a different implementation of webtop, or what. Hopefully with the glut of cheap-to-the-point-of-almost-free lapdocks hitting the market, it will be more incentive ;-)

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have APN settings to switch the HTC Inspire 4G to 3G? The only reason I'm wanting to switch from 4G to 3G is the fact that I am using it on AT&T Prepaid, and 4G will not work (from what I'm told) on prepaid; only post paid plans. I'm trying to use the data on the HTC Inspire with prepaid. If anyone has any information or can help me with this, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyl1969 View Post
    Does anyone have APN settings to switch the HTC Inspire 4G to 3G? The only reason I'm wanting to switch from 4G to 3G is the fact that I am using it on AT&T Prepaid, and 4G will not work (from what I'm told) on prepaid; only post paid plans. I'm trying to use the data on the HTC Inspire with prepaid. If anyone has any information or can help me with this, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    no the regular st apn will work.there is no way ro switch it.it is auto detect.your phone will still show 4g when you are using st ok my pantech burst does

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyl1969 View Post

Thanks
    with gophone, since you are using a smartphone you must buy a seperate dataplan in order to use data.

Feedback Score
    Yes, 4G phones can connect to 3G. However it can be confusing if you're on T-mobile because all of their high speed network is referred to as "4G" because its all HSPA+ 42MBps, what AT&T and T-mobile started calling 4G when they fell way behind Verizon in LTE rollout, so you'll never see a 3g icon. I wondered if my Galaxy Exhibit 2 4G didnt have 3G access for a long time because it either showed 4G or EDGE until I learned it was T-mobile's re-branded "3G" network

Feedback Score
    I'm not using StraightTalk. Right now I have the AT&T $25 monthly plan because AT&T told me in the store that I can't use the 4G on a data plan with prepaid. I understand I have to purchase the data but AT&T says there is no guarantee that it will work and if it doesn't I'll be out that money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast