Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung T404G tracfone problems review

Feedback Score

Samsung T404G tracfone problems review

I have a samsung T404g tracfone and here are the problems I have with it. Can you please let me know if you have the same issue with your t404g, or if your phone works, maybe I just received bad phone:

1. When someone sends me a text, I cannot see who it's from until I open it (even thought the sender is in my contacts). I called tracfone, And they said I should be able to see sender before I open text msg, then when I told them my t404g did not work that way, they said: "oh however your phone works is how its suppossed to work" How does your t404g work when receiving a text?

2. Everytime you accidently press the BROWSER button, you are instantly charged 0.5 to 1.0 minutes. Tracfone says there is no way to disable the browser button. Samsung says there is but that tracfone controls the software.

3. I have not been able to successfully send or receive a picture. And each time I am charged 2 to 5 minutes. Has anyone been able to successfully send or receive a picture on their t404g tracfone? Tracfone says I should be able to, but they say my phone is working as it should

Feedback Score
    I have a Trac Samsung T404g and most of the things you mention are working correctly.

1. Trac and Net10 have stopped sending identifier info for the sender of the text. You do have to open it to see who sent it.

2. As far as I know, there is no way to disable the BROWSER or lock the keypad. Samsung sliders like the T301g and T330g lock the keypad so you cannot accidentally press any keys. But slider/qwertys like the Sam T401g and T404g do not lock that I know of.

3. I send and receive texts and photos all the time. Who is your underlying carrier, T-mobile or ATT? Look at your sim card. The first 6 numbers are 890141 for ATT. 890126 is T-mo. That could be a part of the problem.

What happens when you send a picture? What happens when you are supposed to be receiving one? Report back. I'm sure we can help.

Feedback Score
    Actually, I think both the T401g and T404g can lock the keypad.
    I think you press/hold the star (asterisk) key to lock the keypad.
    The enable for Auto Key Lock function is under "Phone Settings".

Of course, this doesn't help with the blasted BROWSER key.
    It's really criminal that that there's no easy way to disable/reassign that key.
    Especially considering the useless/slow "internet access" you're
    locked into using Tracfone's portal.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tacoma50 View Post
    1. When someone sends me a text, I cannot see who it's from until I open it (even thought the sender is in my contacts).
    That's been the case on every TF I've seen except the ones with "free incoming texts" like the Motorola V160

2. Everytime you accidently press the BROWSER button, you are instantly charged 0.5 to 1.0 minutes. Tracfone says there is no way to disable the browser button. Samsung says there is but that tracfone controls the software.
    Again, every TF I've seen or heard about is like that.

3. I have not been able to successfully send or receive a picture. And each time I am charged 2 to 5 minutes.
    The charges sound right. Not sure why you are not successful. Do you get any sort of error message?
    Are you in a good, strong signal area (Preferable with EDGE data available)?

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    In other words, these may be issues for you - but for long term TF users, it's business as usual. It's not a plan phone, TF makes money by selling minutes, and the phones are programmed to consume them as much as possible.

I suspect that the images aren't being linked to the phone message properly, and it's most commonly caused by the program not being very intuitive, and a lack of a decently written owner's guide. Competing phones can't and don't follow the same steps that a previous phone may have used, so we get to learn all over again. Much like moving from Lotus 123 to Quattro Pro to Microsoft Excel.

Phones
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Shorty, LG290C, VX5500, S380C, 235C, 440G
    401G
    Carriers
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Regarding the picture messages: i've read in the past that the resolution at which you take the pic makes the file size too large. Try adjusting the resolution down and sending. Let us know if it works.

Feedback Score
    I can't find anywhere on my t404g to adjust the resolution of pics I take. And that would not help me to receive pics from others.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    Regarding the picture messages: i've read in the past that the resolution at which you take the pic makes the file size too large. Try adjusting the resolution down and sending. Let us know if it works.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I can't find anywhere on my t404g to adjust the resolution of pics I take.
    In camera mode, hit the menu button, and it puts a menu of icons at the top of the screen. Scroll over the the one that is 2 numbers (like 1600 and 1200) and drop down with other resolutions will appear.
    Try 640x480 or 320x240. That will at least reduce the cost when sending.

I've sent 1280x960 pictures form my LG500G. The images are ~150KB. TF (and others) has a ~300KB limit on messages.

And that would not help me to receive pics from others.
    True. The data charges (2-5 minutes) look right so it sounds like the images are downloaded.
    I haven't played with my son's T404g much, but I know he has received pictures from me and others.

If the message sent is over the 300KB limit it may cause problems on the receiving end.

Send me a PM with your number and I'll send you a pic that should work.

Feedback Score
    Thanks ST DOG, I was able to lower my camera resolution with your instructions and then successfully send a smaller size pic. Also, I was able to successfully receive a pic when the sender reduced the size of the pic.
    I guess I can't have all my friends reduve their cameras resolution to accomadate my tracfone, but at least I know what the issue is now...which is tracfones have a 300kb limit. You would think tracfone would tell you this you up front, especialy when you call them to ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    In camera mode, hit the menu button, and it puts a menu of icons at the top of the screen. Scroll over the the one that is 2 numbers (like 1600 and 1200) and drop down with other resolutions will appear.
    Try 640x480 or 320x240. That will at least reduce the cost when sending.

I've sent 1280x960 pictures form my LG500G. The images are ~150KB. TF (and others) has a ~300KB limit on messages.

True. The data charges (2-5 minutes) look right so it sounds like the images are downloaded.
    I haven't played with my son's T404g much, but I know he has received pictures from me and others.

If the message sent is over the 300KB limit it may cause problems on the receiving end.

Send me a PM with your number and I'll send you a pic that should work.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    which is tracfones have a 300kb limit. You would think tracfone would tell you this you up front, especialy when you call them to ask for help.
    You might think that if you were new to TF. You soon learn that the CS people are generally clueless about the features on a phone. You may get lucky and find a rep that knows your phone, but it's not likely.
    Most of them have never see a recent phone, and certainly have not used one. It's just not part of the training they get.

As for the 300kB limit, it's not just TF. Most providers have a limit and when MMS first started being used, 300kB was a common limit. Search the web and you'll find lots of discussion about the MMS size limits.

Feedback Score
    Answering #3

Just bought the whole family T404G's from a TracFone reseller:

All phones send and receive pictures normally, as MMS messages or multi-media system messages, via [your_number]@mms.att.net. I pic messaged phone to phone; email to phone; phone to email, it all works. JHL

Feedback Score

Calendar

Does anyone know how to view the Calendar month to month WITHOUT going thru all the weeks?

Feedback Score
    i have a question, i sent a picture message and it cost me 6 minutes. is that normal? does anyone know why this happened? help!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen6554 View Post
    i have a question, i sent a picture message and it cost me 6 minutes. is that normal? does anyone know why this happened? help!
    Do you have a Sam T404G or Sam S425 or Sam S390?

How recently did you buy the phone? Is it one of the recetnly offered T404 refurbished bundles?

Are you on Net10 or Tracfone? The charges are different.

What is the size of the picture?

Feedback Score

Re: Help

Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Do you have a Sam T404G or Sam S425 or Sam S390?

How recently did you buy the phone? Is it one of the recetnly offered T404 refurbished bundles?

Are you on Net10 or Tracfone? The charges are different.

What is the size of the picture?

I just bought the phone 5 days ago. it's not refurbished. its a tracfone, Sam T404G and I'm not sure what the picture size is. The default size. i guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast