Thread: Transferring/Selling old Tracfones?

Feedback Score

Transferring/Selling old Tracfones?

I have 2 tracefones that I no longer use and have been without mins or time for over a year. I want to give them away or sell them on ebay but tracfone seems to lock phones to the sims they came with, from what I heard. Anyway is there a way to remove them from my account or make them free and clear for someone else to use them?

Feedback Score
    You are misunderstanding the sim issue. The only thing locked about the sims is that once the sim has been powered up in a phone, it gets imprinted with the phone's serial number. If you put the sim in another phone, it will know it is in the wrong place and will reject. Even if you have a brand new never powered-up sim, it could still be registered in TF's system as belonging to a particular phone and won't work in another phone. It won't say reject, but it won't work. This is how new phones are sold. You don't have to provide the sim number because they already know it. If you have a used phone and want to change the phone number, that is another case where the sim can be used only once for a number and TF will send a new sim for free. So all you have to do is sell the phone with the understanding that it is used, so TF will have to send a new sim for the new phone number. Also, it will need a new sim because of being deactivated past the cutoff time, two months I think.

There is no way to remove your phone number info from the phone. It will roll over when a new one is added. If you had the phones in an online account, remove them. In order to remove the remaining one, you have to call CS.

When you call CS about stuff, they ask for your name for verification. Either tell your customer to use your name or else ask CS to change your name to the new person's name. There might not be a name there at all in the first place. It depends if you called CS for help in the past.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Lisme, if the phone has been inactive for a year, do you think the phone number and customer name would still be associated with the phone's serial number? I thought maybe they need an active phone to keep that info in their database.

Feedback Score
    I think that once a phone is in play, i.e. it is first activated, a file is created. This file just keeps getting longer as events are added. I had a problem that required serious Miami help. There was already a name on this phone because some dufus purchased the phone before I did and tried to activate it while it was still in the package. When he got to a point where he had to enter codes, he was stuck, so he returned the phone. Kmart mailorder sent it to me. I guess some people activate phones ahead of time for gifts. Anyway, he had apparently used CS, because the phone resumed activating where it had left off and it gave 10 minutes airtime and had the name Darious on it. They wouldn't tell me the name, but I told the high-up CSR to get rid of the name whatever it was and put mine on there. So then I get some Tracfone snail mail with Darious's name and my address. So then I knew his name. Whenever I have to call CS, they want to hear Darious. I'm sick of it and actually got a new phone to start over. They keep information like they are the FBI.

Feedback Score
    thanks lisme, another reason to hate tracfone. they make it so difficult to sell or transefer your phones. we buy the phones we should be able to sell or do whatever with them when we are dont without our info being attached to it. these 2 phones i have arent that great and i would probably only get $10 each for them. at this point i would rather throw them away then go through all this trouble. i also dont want my name attached to anyone elses account later on.

Feedback Score
    I have sold a bunch of Trac fones used both GSM and CDMA with zero issues. Activated by me and others. I have also purchased used phones. Customer Service can be spotty though. My current phone is a used phone purchased off auction site. I even got the time on used phone and was inactive for about one year. Took a tad bit of patience to get those minutes but I did get them.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Give them to a charity and be done with them. Phone technology is advancing so quickly that you can buy a new model every year and enjoy a new feature set. Plus, about $100 can keep a lightly used phone active the entire year.

Some people have luck getting CS to fix things, but if there's no money or reason to further mess with the phones, don't risk the aggravation.