Thread: Spectrum Auction...2011 Status

Carriers
    Wind Mobile
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Spectrum Auction...2011 Status

This site gives a quick overview of who got what in the AWS auction

http://agora.ic.gc.ca/overview_eng.c...p_round_no=331

So far as of 2011, where is WIND in the game? How much more do they have to go before the deadline for minimum roll-outs?

Lot's of dynamics have changed since 2008...

* Sprint will be launching their LTE services over the G-band (Public Mobile)
    * Shaw is no longer rolling out a wireless service
    * Public Mobile has done what nobody could have dreamed of, launching 3G
    * LTE on AWS has been widely adopted, future of handsets looks promising

Now looking at where WIND has launched so far, there is so many more places they need to cover before the deadline in 1-2 years approx?

When combining the G-band and the AWS licenses together, WIND actually has access to the entire country save for Southern/Eastern Quebec.

Now that sprint is in the game with 4G LTE on the G-band, WIND could launch an LTE only 4G network that also relies on LTE for voice (I believe the standard will be released in the coming months)

What is WIND going to do about its 40 Mhz of AWS + 10 Mhz of G-Band in the northern territories? Bell launched an LTE network up in yellowknife today...could WIND soon follow to achieve its minimum buildout?

One thing for sure, if WIND just wants to maximize its existing licenses and strategically add in extra areas of great importance, I could realistically see the company buying 700 Mhz licenses for Southern/Eastern Quebec, and extra capacity for the remaining 5 major cities in Canada.

T-mobile's demise is coming sooner than expected (regardless of the failed AT&T merger) so an upgrade of the current HSPA AWS network to LTE should probably be looked into sooner or later...

Anyway, that's all i got for now...hope a great discussion takes shape!
    WIND Mobile
    Unlimited Wish 40 @ $40/month
    1GB Mobile Internet Plan @ $5/month

T-Mobile
    Pay As You Go - Gold Rewards @ $0.10/minute

Phone
    HTC One X
    Carrier
    Koodo, WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They really do need to get some spectrum in Quebec, major market. As for LTE, I'd like to see them get some 700MHZ but I'd rather have them focus on a stable and reliable HSPA network across the country.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I hope LTE on AWS/1700MHz gets dropped. It can't even penetrate buildings good. Why in the world would it be used for the next standard? I think 700MHz is the definite way to go...
    Phone History

Phone
    Google Galaxy Nexus, BlackBerry Torch 9810
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile, Telus HSPA
    Feedback Score
    LTE I believe is expected to be used in combo 700+1700. Also spectrum is spectrum it's still quite an asset even if its not the best performing one and no different from 1900Mhz.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorreia View Post
    LTE I believe is expected to be used in combo 700+1700. Also spectrum is spectrum it's still quite an asset even if its not the best performing one and no different from 1900Mhz.
    impossible to combo 700+1700 together.
    700 needs much longer antenna

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    I think he means using them in tandem... both frequencies simutaniously.

Carriers
    Wind Mobile
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    I believe 1700 is largely used as an reliever to the 700 in high usage areas such as urban cities. It works exactly the same way the current 850/1900 pair works for BELLUS today.

Of course, the new entrants only got AWS and the old new entrants (fido/clearnet) only got 1900 so the time for a low frequency auction is long overdue and this is precisely why the 700Mhz Auction is so highly coveted.

The only problem is, only AT&T in the states is developing phones with a 850/1900 HSPA + 700/AWS LTE focus...everyone else is pretty much doing their own thing.

Feedback Score
    Seeing that the current backward Conservative govt gets a lot of support from the boonies, I think the Big 3 will argue that only they (especially Bell, and Telus) have the resources and the track record of rolling-out rural mobile broadband, so it's very unlikely there will be any set-asides for the new entrants.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arpez228 View Post
    Seeing that the current backward Conservative govt gets a lot of support from the boonies, I think the Big 3 will argue that only they (especially Bell, and Telus) have the resources and the track record of rolling-out rural mobile broadband, so it's very unlikely there will be any set-asides for the new entrants.
    Lol, you never quit I'll give you that. However going backwards on what they already started (conservatives) would look silly now wouldn't it? They wanted to increase competition, giving all the spectrum to the 3 companies who are already hoarding more than they will ever need does not make sense when you consider it essentially kills all the new entrants by doing so. Look for an even split on the spectrum is my guess.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arpez228 View Post
    LOL - yes, they get a lot of support from the 'boonies', but desperately need to grow their base in urban areas. This is why I think they'll support 'set-asides' for the new guys and try and look like a champion of consumer's rights.

Lets face it - how much spectrum does Telus need to support a small town or (gasp) a farmer in Alberta anyway? With LTE it is much, much easier to support them then 3G ever was.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpieFiend View Post
    LOL - yes, they get a lot of support from the 'boonies', but desperately need to grow their base in urban areas. This is why I think they'll support 'set-asides' for the new guys and try and look like a champion of consumer's rights.

Lets face it - how much spectrum does Telus need to support a small town or (gasp) a farmer in Alberta anyway? With LTE it is much, much easier to support them then 3G ever was.
    Only ignorant rednecks mostly from Alberta vote for the Conservatives. The 60% of us (the majority) either voted NDP or Liberal. The Conservative environment minister is a creationist. What a joke.

Telus at least needs 40mhz.

Feedback Score
    I am just wondering, what is the difference between Block A-I. How is Block G different from the other block. Couldn't an AWS phone use all those?

Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wow.. i didnt know Novus got some AWS spectrum..

FREAKING robelus... look at all the spectrum they have...

I dont get what the tiers mean...

What company is IC?

the question now is, What is Shaw going to do with the AWS spectrum?Will shaw sell it to robelus or wind?mobi?
    $55 SK/MB Plan with 10% BYOP
    Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling, Texting/MMS and 5GB Data
    White Google Nexus 5 32GB - Rooted - Paranoid Android

Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hello... new here... =O

Hmm... has Novus done anything with their spectrum at all? This is the first time I've heard of them. Judging from their website, they seem to be offering fibre-optic internet, cable, and phone services but only in Downtown Vancouver at this time. If this can be generalized into their wireless... then they most likely will not have done much there either...

I personally feel like if Industry Canada should cut Shaw and Novus a bit of slack due to the sluggish economy, but barring that, I hope Wind + Mobilicity get some of the unused spectrum to improve their services.

Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting...is IC Industry Canada? Did they set aside some for themselves?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast