Thread: ICS on Samasung Galaxy S2X vs. Galaxy Nexus

Phone
    iPhone
    Feedback Score

ICS on Samasung Galaxy S2X vs. Galaxy Nexus

Since Samsung will release Ice Cream Sandwich on the S2X, would it make more sense to just get the S2X for $50 instead of the Galaxy Nexus for $150+?

Other than the screen resolution, is there anything that set these two phones apart enough to make a difference in enjoyment/performance?

Does anyone know what will happen with the physical buttons on the S2X when ICS is released for this phone?

Phones
    HTC Desire
    Motorola Razr
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Updates direct from Google, and a Vanilla OS.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8xc View Post
    Updates direct from Google, and a Vanilla OS.
    This isn't necessarily a plus

Phones
    HTC Desire
    Motorola Razr
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    This isn't necessarily a plus
    What manufacture's UI is better? Consensus is none of them (from what I've read).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8xc View Post
    What manufacture's UI is better? Consensus is none of them (from what I've read).
    I'm not saying that any one is better just saying not all prefer Vanilla, I do not solely because the software included is often limited. For example the Nexus S, trying watching a Divx movie on it, or compare the camera software to OEM camera software. Vanilla is nice to some but not everyone likes the plain Jane everything that comes with it.

Phones
    Nokia lumia 1020
    Nokia lumia 1020
    Samsung Galaxy s2x
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    i went and bought the s2x knowing the nexus was coming out, removable storage was one thing, price and higher mp camera is another.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    The UI is completely based on preference. What's better for some may not necessarily be better for others, as mentioned above. That said, I would probably go for the Galaxy Nexus myself, as I do prefer the software updates and a stock Android theme. The S2X has removable storage and higher resolution cameras (although the Galaxy Nexus apparently takes really good shots, and has 0 shutter lag) with better software. If you need it, the Galaxy Nexus also has NFC for Android Beam and Google Wallet, but those are very niche programs and really won't be used frequently by most for another few years.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    S2X - DCHSPA 42MBIT
    Nexus - HSPA 21MBIT

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    If the contract price is what you care about:
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/12/08/wi...year-to-84-99/
    Looks like the Bell Galaxy Nexus promos have already started to happen – retailer Wireless etc locations inside Costco have started to offer a $75 cash card… which can apparently be used to drop the $159.99 new 3-year contract price, taking it to a low $84.99. Our tipster states that “When you buy a phone at wireless etc you take the phone up to the Costco til to pay. The cash card can be used on your purchase.”

Feedback Score
    I'm not saying that any one is better just saying not all prefer Vanilla, I do not solely because the software included is often limited. For example the Nexus S, trying watching a Divx movie on it, or compare the camera software to OEM camera software. Vanilla is nice to some but not everyone likes the plain Jane everything that comes with it.
    As consumers, we should support "Plain Jane"; it could be a "Plain Jane" Samsung that has TouchWiz, it could be a "Plain Jane" HTC with Sense, it could be a "Plain Jane" Nexus X model with standard interface - but let customers choose freely.

The reason why Carrier IQ fiasco exists is because carriers have too much say over what go into their handsets. I'd like to see the days of computer/home internet model, where carriers only sell SIM cards and services, and we buy handsets directly from authorized dealers of Sony, HTC, Samsung, etc. If you want to exercise this right at the moment, the only feasible choice right now is Apple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IDEA_NXT View Post
    As consumers, we should support "Plain Jane"; it could be a "Plain Jane" Samsung that has TouchWiz, it could be a "Plain Jane" HTC with Sense, it could be a "Plain Jane" Nexus X model with standard interface - but let customers choose freely.

The reason why Carrier IQ fiasco exists is because carriers have too much say over what go into their handsets. I'd like to see the days of computer/home internet model, where carriers only sell SIM cards and services, and we buy handsets directly from authorized dealers of Sony, HTC, Samsung, etc. If you want to exercise this right at the moment, the only feasible choice right now is Apple.
    I agree however; carriers have nothing to do with touch wiz, sense or moto blur, etc. I think you're confused about what vanilla android is. And FYI galaxy nexus "vanilla" on the Verizon has carrier bloatware on it .

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Seeing as Sense+Honeycomb and TouchWiz+Honeycomb are much more subtle than Sense+Gingerbread and TW+Gingerbread... I think we might be able to expect that ICS skins will be a bit less overbearing.

Feedback Score
    I agree however; carriers have nothing to do with touch wiz, sense or moto blur, etc. I think you're confused about what vanilla android is. And FYI galaxy nexus "vanilla" on the Verizon has carrier bloatware on it .
    As a proud owner of a Nexus phone, I know fair well what vanilla Android is.

Perhaps I did not voice my concerns correctly. My problem is not so much with TouchWiz and Sense; customers can buy phones from Company B if they don't like what Company A did (it's like Linux: SUSE, Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc.; they all look and feel differently even though they are all Linux. If I don't like the way one distro works, get another one.) My problem is with the apps that are forced down the throat by carriers (example: I got a prepaid Gio on sale just to play with, and it's loaded with Bell TV apps, etc. - stuffs that I have no use and cannot uninstall).

As for Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, its release has been delayed because Google and Verizon cannon agree on what can/cannot go on the phone. (I don't think Verizon will even try to whisper a sound if this is an Apple iPhone.)

Phone
    iPhone 5S/Nexus 4
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why is UI even an issue in this discussion? If the device is rooted you can load any version of the OS you want practically with any of the various types. Touchwiz, Blue, Vanilla - whatever! My vote is with the Galaxy Nexus here given the overwhelming majority of developers that flock to the stock Google handsets.