Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unlock Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE

Feedback Score

Unlock Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE

This will be my first smartphone purchase, and I've browsed literally hundreds of different forums to conclude that I want the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE (no term from Rogers). Also, based on all the plans in Winnipeg, the MTS Student Data Deal seems to appeal to me most (unlimited data for a great price). I have a few uncertainties I would like cleared up before I go ahead and do this though (bare in mind I knew nothing about smartphones about a week ago). I apologize if some of these questions have already been answered in this forum, but I want to be entirely sure this will work before I spend $700.
    1. If I buy the phone from Rogers and unlock it, I assume only the one year manufacturers warranty will be available. Would there be any issues with this?
    2. The specs on the S2 state: HSPA Bands:850/1900/2100 and on the MTS site it reads:Please note that any unlocked device must support 4G North American Frequencies (850Mhz). Am I correct when saying this phone will work on MTS?
    3. MTS has stated that LTE will be available for their network in 2012. Is their any way to determine whether or not this device will work on their LTE network once it exists?
    4. Once I have the unlocked phone, should I take it straight to MTS, or enter the APN settings myself (http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...S-APN-settings). Also, is there a possibility of the device not working properly on the MTS network? (extremely slow speeds, etc.)
    5. I've stated my specific questions, but if I have missed anything, please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    yes it will work.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    I have had a non-LTE S2 since September. If you already have a SIM card, just put in the APN settings yourself and then re-boot the phone and you will be good to go.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket I727R
    Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket I727R
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    I just got my brand new Samsung Galaxy S2 i727r, which is the Rogers version, unlocked it and it works great so far. I bought it from CanadaGSM.ca and it was supposed to come unlocked, but it did not. They gave me the unlock code as soon as I emailed them so no problems. I have it on MTS right now and entered the APN settings myself and so far so good. Quite happy with the phone so far, even though I have only had it on for an hour, but it is definitely faster than my Galaxy S Captivate. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the phone, I would be glad to help.

Feedback Score
    hi i have the same type of phone that you do. do you have lte enabled on your phone?
    i tried but had to revert back to a regular sim card.
    if you can help it would be welcomed.
    thanks

Phones
    Galaxy S3
    Nexus S
    Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
    Carrier
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by don thompson View Post
    hi i have the same type of phone that you do. do you have lte enabled on your phone?
    i tried but had to revert back to a regular sim card.
    if you can help it would be welcomed.
    thanks
    I just purchased an unlocked Galaxy S2 LTE as well, and I'm hoping it will (eventually) work with LTE on MTS. It should, as the specifications look to be compatible?

Don Thompson - did you activate LTE with MTS? They have to put you on an LTE plan for it to work.
    Carrier: MTS | Handset: Galaxy S3 | Plan: 100 minutes, U/L Evenings & Weekends, U/L SMS, Call Display | Data: UNLIMITED LTE - $16.50

Phone
    Sony Xperia ION, HTC 6250
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Not too hijack this thread but I am looking at perhaps doing the same thing. My question though is has anyone moved from a CDMA phone on contract to a GSM based phone and remain on the same contract? If so did you have any issues?

Phones
    Galaxy S3
    Nexus S
    Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
    Carrier
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by villiam View Post
    Not too hijack this thread but I am looking at perhaps doing the same thing. My question though is has anyone moved from a CDMA phone on contract to a GSM based phone and remain on the same contract? If so did you have any issues?
    I technically had to extend my contract by 1 year - except they messed up, and made my contract a year long!

Phone
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derfel View Post
    I technically had to extend my contract by 1 year - except they messed up, and made my contract a year long!
    How far were you into your contract at the time? I have just shy of two months left, somewhat fearful that they may ask/force me to start a new contract.

Phones
    Galaxy S3
    Nexus S
    Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
    Carrier
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    How far were you into your contract at the time? I have just shy of two months left, somewhat fearful that they may ask/force me to start a new contract.
    I was 14 months into a 36 month contract... so they effectively cut a year off.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    I was off contract with my CDMA phone when I got my unlocked SGSII. I said I wanted the unlimited plan, got a SIM and that was that. I confirmed I would still be off contract, so I've been month-to-month while on HSPA. If they're going to make you extend your contract, I would say just wait out the 2 months.

Phone
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Astylis View Post
    I was off contract with my CDMA phone when I got my unlocked SGSII. I said I wanted the unlimited plan, got a SIM and that was that. I confirmed I would still be off contract, so I've been month-to-month while on HSPA. If they're going to make you extend your contract, I would say just wait out the 2 months.
    I hopefully will be able to drop by in the next little bit to see what they will expect me to do. Just figured I'd check on other's experience to prepare myself. Definitely don't need the LTE speed, but would desire the unlimited data.

Phones
    Galaxy S3
    Nexus S
    Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
    Carrier
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I just received my Galaxy S2 today... I'm so disappointed it doesn't have an LED light!

Man I'm picky - bought and sold an HTC Raider because of the loose headphone jack... now I'm thinking of selling my Galaxy S2 because it doesn't have an LED! I must be crazy...

But otherwise it's a pretty decent phone, or it seems to be?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    ADR6250 AKA"Hero"
    Touch Diamond CDMA
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    You are not too picky.

I loved my Nexus and S2, but no notification led is a pain.

I love my S3 but will probably sell it when the LG Nexus G comes out...

And the cycle repeats itself.... again.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using HowardForums

Phones
    Galaxy S3
    Nexus S
    Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
    Carrier
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Interesting - finally got around to popping my SIM card into my phone, and I don't seem to be able to find MTS as a network...?

EDIT: Nevermind - just took a LONG time to find the network the first time.
    Last edited by Derfel; 10-06-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast