yes it will work.
This will be my first smartphone purchase, and I've browsed literally hundreds of different forums to conclude that I want the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE (no term from Rogers). Also, based on all the plans in Winnipeg, the MTS Student Data Deal seems to appeal to me most (unlimited data for a great price). I have a few uncertainties I would like cleared up before I go ahead and do this though (bare in mind I knew nothing about smartphones about a week ago). I apologize if some of these questions have already been answered in this forum, but I want to be entirely sure this will work before I spend $700.
1. If I buy the phone from Rogers and unlock it, I assume only the one year manufacturers warranty will be available. Would there be any issues with this?
2. The specs on the S2 state: HSPA Bands:850/1900/2100 and on the MTS site it reads:Please note that any unlocked device must support 4G North American Frequencies (850Mhz). Am I correct when saying this phone will work on MTS?
3. MTS has stated that LTE will be available for their network in 2012. Is their any way to determine whether or not this device will work on their LTE network once it exists?
4. Once I have the unlocked phone, should I take it straight to MTS, or enter the APN settings myself (http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...S-APN-settings). Also, is there a possibility of the device not working properly on the MTS network? (extremely slow speeds, etc.)
5. I've stated my specific questions, but if I have missed anything, please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
yes it will work.
I have had a non-LTE S2 since September. If you already have a SIM card, just put in the APN settings yourself and then re-boot the phone and you will be good to go.
I just got my brand new Samsung Galaxy S2 i727r, which is the Rogers version, unlocked it and it works great so far. I bought it from CanadaGSM.ca and it was supposed to come unlocked, but it did not. They gave me the unlock code as soon as I emailed them so no problems. I have it on MTS right now and entered the APN settings myself and so far so good. Quite happy with the phone so far, even though I have only had it on for an hour, but it is definitely faster than my Galaxy S Captivate. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the phone, I would be glad to help.
hi i have the same type of phone that you do. do you have lte enabled on your phone?
i tried but had to revert back to a regular sim card.
if you can help it would be welcomed.
Carrier: MTS | Handset: Galaxy S3 | Plan: 100 minutes, U/L Evenings & Weekends, U/L SMS, Call Display | Data: UNLIMITED LTE - $16.50
Not too hijack this thread but I am looking at perhaps doing the same thing. My question though is has anyone moved from a CDMA phone on contract to a GSM based phone and remain on the same contract? If so did you have any issues?
I just received my Galaxy S2 today... I'm so disappointed it doesn't have an LED light!
Man I'm picky - bought and sold an HTC Raider because of the loose headphone jack... now I'm thinking of selling my Galaxy S2 because it doesn't have an LED! I must be crazy...
But otherwise it's a pretty decent phone, or it seems to be?
You are not too picky.
I loved my Nexus and S2, but no notification led is a pain.
I love my S3 but will probably sell it when the LG Nexus G comes out...
And the cycle repeats itself.... again.
Sent from my SGH-I747M using HowardForums
Interesting - finally got around to popping my SIM card into my phone, and I don't seem to be able to find MTS as a network...?
EDIT: Nevermind - just took a LONG time to find the network the first time.
Last edited by Derfel; 10-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.