Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any hopes/info about a Motoroogle Developer phone?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Anyone follow P3 on twitter? He said he was waiting for the Droid⁴ & Droid HD??? O_0 Could this be our quad-core beast? CES around the corner also.

Sent from my DROIDX using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Motorola XT1103 Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As long as it doesn't have an encrypted bootloader.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    As long as it doesn't have an encrypted bootloader.
    On this, it is now looking like the ball is 100% back in Moto's hands as far as AT&T and VZW devices go. We have the Galaxy Nexus on VZW and now EVERY HTC phone launched since September this year. I know most USA HTC devices were initially missing in this portal, but the XDA folks just realized most all the newer US devices are there and a statement confirming that was posted.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...t-bootloaders/

If HTC can coax such a thing, the rest, including Moto can. Something like this could woo me toward the D4 from my Nexus.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Realizing that this thread is coming up on a month old, I thought that I'd add my $.02. I've been gone from HoFo since I camped for my D1 on opening night. It's on it's last leg and I've been out of contract for a couple months now. The trend of batwings locking their bootloaders after the D1 has been disturbing to me as that seems to directly correlate with the mod community support and with the overall length of said support. Also with how power hungry these new devices are the fact that the batteries are not removable is trouble some. Even with a 1000 millliamp charger I can drain the battery faster than it'll charge, though I guess that could be the battery showing its age. I worry about my phone finally giving up the ghost before a viable replacement is out.

Is there any new word on any of this? I've already perused the D4 thread and it's painfully obvious that the D4 is not the Droid I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Vaclov; 01-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola XT1103 Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I haven't heard anything new. Just curious, by saying your Droid 1 is on it's last letgs, what do you actually mean? I still have mine from release day and other than the obvious fact that there are now faster phones out there, it still works the same for me.

Feedback Score
    Seems it exists now, but we don't know if a VZW version will happen and really per this article most of the demand has been more for something like HTC is doing. One of the largest reasons I abandoned Moto was because of this. I would have got a ReZound and now been happily unlocked LONG before I got ANYTHING Moto. This latest dev phone does nothing to change that with me either as it's 100% warrantyless rather than just lacking software issue warranty and support. Really if this doesn't change, I'll never return to Moto unless the device is out of this world and in a dev version that has hardware warranty. Not going back for bit better fringe radio performance anymore pure and simple.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/31...-unacceptable/

Device(s)
    DROID
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From a manufacturer perspecptive, I can understand a hardware warranty not being offered. If you unlock your phone, install a kernel with crazy voltage or overclocking, and fry your phone because of it, why should they have to replace it?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As far as issues with my Droid, the battery life has gotten pretty bad. I know that's the battery giving out. The bigger issues deal with problems mounting the SD card, and the increasing lockups. The headset jack is starting to give out, too much pocket sweat me-thinks.

As for my own personal reasons for wishing to stay with Moto, I'm a flight instructor and commercial pilot. I end up in a lot of areas with very sporadic coverage. The added fringe radio performance that Moto provides vs. the other manufacturers usually makes the difference between getting a call out and being stuck somewhere with to way to contact anyone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lister View Post
    From a manufacturer perspecptive, I can understand a hardware warranty not being offered. If you unlock your phone, install a kernel with crazy voltage or overclocking, and fry your phone because of it, why should they have to replace it?
    It's a customer service and marketing thing to attract enthusiasts customers who will promote your wares for you. Kinda like how Intel is now going to have a special processor warranty that allows 1 no questions asked replacement just to draw in overclockers. No one wants to hassle with such swaps anyhow no matter how good the service so most are going to be careful and do their best to ensure such things don't happen. Basically it would be to look good and excite people who will help your company look more friendly in general. Not to mention HTC is already offering most of this by helping unlock MOST ANY phone they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaclov View Post
    As far as issues with my Droid, the battery life has gotten pretty bad. I know that's the battery giving out. The bigger issues deal with problems mounting the SD card, and the increasing lockups. The headset jack is starting to give out, too much pocket sweat me-thinks.

As for my own personal reasons for wishing to stay with Moto, I'm a flight instructor and commercial pilot. I end up in a lot of areas with very sporadic coverage. The added fringe radio performance that Moto provides vs. the other manufacturers usually makes the difference between getting a call out and being stuck somewhere with to way to contact anyone.
    I get the fringe coverage reasoning. Those are the moto customers and fans I get. My issue is that I don't think that's a large concern for many customers anymore. Not only that, but VZW and AT&T building most initial LTE out on 700mhz and VZW owning a 100% coverage blanket of spectrum to me suggests fringe coverage will slowly become less of a concern as analogue spectrum has never had a 100% blanket owner of any sort so in many fringe areas you are relying on higher frequency less penetrating PCS spectrum that is just tougher to blanket remote or hilly areas with. Definitely a valid concern for some still, but not as many as traditionally and figure the numbers where this is real important will slowly go down with 700mhz LTE build outs.

Device(s)
    Motorola XT1103 Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Finally it looks like Motorola is going to take some steps in the right direction:

http://developer.motorola.com/products/bootloader/

http://www.motorola.com/blog/2012/07...oton-q-4g-lte/

Here's to hoping thatt they might go ahead and make this retroactive to some of their earlier devices and better; plan on having this policy with some or most future VZW devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    Finally it looks like Motorola is going to take some steps in the right direction:

http://developer.motorola.com/products/bootloader/

http://www.motorola.com/blog/2012/07...oton-q-4g-lte/

Here's to hoping thatt they might go ahead and make this retroactive to some of their earlier devices and better; plan on having this policy with some or most future VZW devices.
    Not only this, but a ruling on device locking in general might be coming down the pike from the FCC if this bit of stuff is a sign of things to come. TC_Mits will love this one. Sorta odd they are allowed to charge you if you are on unlimited, but can't keep you from tethering for free if you want too.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/fcc-tells-v...les-for-1-25m/

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Got this about a month ago, works great!

http://www.motorola.com/us/shop-all-...n-verizon.html

Name:  motoxdevedition-story-tinkertoy.png
Views: 146
Size:  167.3 KB

Device(s)
    Motorola XT1103 Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Bill, I've looked at that phone and it looks awesome! Have you rooted it and installed any custom ROMs?

Personally, I would prefer that Motorola would not make us pay the premium for a 'developer' phone (albiet that "Developer" moniker on the phone looks cool) because IMHO the exclusive 'Developer' phones will not have the same level of folks creating custom ROMs for them as they do for the rest of the masses.

However I have found out the news (very late) that the Motorola XT907 Razr M has had the bootloader unlocked for even the consumer editions. May be headed back to a Moto soon . . . .

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Ted. I don't have any needs for a custom ROM lately. The Moto X phone has an unlockable Bootloader so it runs on any carrier. I have it rooted and unlocked. The Developer phone was about $600 so without the subsidy, it's not much more than the regular unit.

Device(s)
    Motorola XT1103 Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, the consumer version of Moto X on other carriers have an unlockable bootloader, so this may now come down to a VZW thing. I almost entertained going to USCC to get a Moto X just so I would have a Motorola device with an unlockable bootloader. Why Motorola and VZW? Why?

With the Qfuses and other security to show that a Snapdragon device has ever been unlocked, why the bother? As in the July 2013 update to close the exploit that some guy named Dan found for the Razr M (and other devices).

And your link, Bill, shows a very high demand for the developer edition. And unlocking the bootloader puts any blame for failure on the consumer, so again I ask Motoroogle or Googlerola, why are you so keen on keeping the bootloaders unlocked?

Oh how I miss the days of the A855 when we had the tools to fix anything, a phone that was unbrickable. Even the Gnez is unbrickable. Now that Moto has built in enough manufacturer 'safeguards' that no longer hide whether the phone has ever been unlocked, I see no reason for Moto/VZW to continue this locked bootloader path.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast