Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP Straighttalk LG OPTIMUS wont ACTIVATE

Feedback Score

Angry PLEASE HELP Straighttalk LG OPTIMUS wont ACTIVATE

So I finally decided to switch over to straighttalk from verizon. I found and purchased an almost brand new (stickers still on screen) LG Optimus Q phone off craigslist for a really good price but when I got home and called ST to activate it they said they could not do that because the phone was not "activated in their system". They asked if I had a receipt or proof of purchase which obviously I didn't since I paid cash. I asked what I could do and ST's supervisor had the nerve to tell me that I can use the phone as a toy for my kid since there is no way i can prove it was purchased. They are basically insinuating I stole the phone or something just because I purchased it off an individual. I tried getting in touch with the person who i bought it from but they never responded to my email. my question is HOW can i get this phone activated or exchanged for one that works? Is there a way to unlock it or what can i do to make the phone functional because it is driving me crazy to look at it and not be able to use it after i paid over $100 bucks for it. Please help me only if you have some useful advice. I have heard enough criticizing about how i should have not bought it off craigslist and how it's my fault. I don't see how people are able to just steal these phones when i saw them locked behind a display case at walmart with all sorts of security wraps on them

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Its a stolen phone and ST wont activate it. What more do you want to hear?

The phones are scanned and thus allowed to be activated at the time of checkout.

Sent from my Atrix 4G

Feedback Score
    Thats what it sounds like to me too. It walked out the door probably on a Black Friday rush.
    I never buy from CL or eBay for just this reason. I buy from Amazon only and have never been taken like this.
    Had one try to take my money and then just never finished out the order, it never even showed it shipped, was always in shipping soon.
    After almost a month and a half of them trying to contact the seller on a refund and getting no response from them, they closed the sellers acct and refunded my money.
    I know with Amazon I will get my product and either be 100% happy with it or I get a refund. CL or eBay I could never be sure. I know people who use them and some are sold and some get sold.
    From what I have seen from friends and read on the net about the problems with those two places I would say a person has a 30% chance of getting ripped off on EB and a 50% chance with CL. But in the years I have been using Amazon I have a 100% satisfaction rate.
    Not always satisfied with what I get when I order but always satisfied with how Amazon handles those few and far in between times.

If you really want that phone, walk it back in to WalMart, I'm sure you still have the address of the person you bought it from.
    Take all the information you have on them with you. Talk to the manager and tell them the entire story, who you got it from, how much you paid, what ST said, that the phone was never activated and is probably stolen, that you still want to buy one but obviously cant buy this one. They may work with you for being honest, they may activate it for you and sell it to you then and there for a reduced price. But ST knows you have a bad phone and you may be getting a visit from someone because of it.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    I just think it's ridiculous that straighttalk along with walmart don't enforce better security measures on their items. Every reputable store I have been to has their phones on a wire and there is no way to steal them without some alarm going off.
    Does anyone know from personal experience if these phones can be "unlocked" or anything like that because there is a store that I know unlocks phones so perhaps they could do something with it? I have been buying stuff off craigslist for the past 4 years and never had any issues with any of the items because I get to inspect the item in person before buying but obviously I didn't think a phone would not work because it was not been scanned which is ridiculous.
    As for "someone visiting me" I think that is even more outrageous! What's ST going to do send the FBI to my house because I unknowingly bought what is perceived to be a stolen phone? One of the ST reps told me the phone might have been activated but then returned and until I get the original owner to cancel or call them they won't be able to do anything. I still don't understand how the whole cash register activation process works....someone please explain that to me. Can't i just go to walmart and get them to scan my phone? will that activate it?

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    That is their security measure. Walmart doesn't know you aren't the person who stole it. And yeah you won't be visited by anybody.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    When a ST phone is bought at Walmart, the cashier scans the phone into the computer system when purchased so that ST can identify the phone was paid for and not stolen. No scan at register = no activation.

You bought the phone off Craigslist with cash, you accepted the risk it may be hot. Sorry this happened, but always and forever remember if something seems to good to be true, it probably is. Best in this day and age to do all your business with a credit card so you will have some recourse in case of problems like this. That means eBay with a credit card if you wanna buy used stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    I know people who use them and some are sold and some get sold.
    From what I have seen from friends and read on the net about the problems with those two places I would say a person has a 30% chance of getting ripped off on EB and a 50% chance with CL.
    This part is a little ridiculous. I've been buying and selling on craigslist and ebay for probably 6 or 7 years. I've never once had an issue. The stories you hear are the nightmares. Think about all the deals that go on that are successful and you never hear about. Ebay for one over protects the consumer, almost unfairly, where the sellers are most at risk.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTIST View Post
    I just think it's ridiculous that straighttalk along with walmart don't enforce better security measures on their items. Every reputable store I have been to has their phones on a wire and there is no way to steal them without some alarm going off.
    Does anyone know from personal experience if these phones can be "unlocked" or anything like that because there is a store that I know unlocks phones so perhaps they could do something with it? I have been buying stuff off craigslist for the past 4 years and never had any issues with any of the items because I get to inspect the item in person before buying but obviously I didn't think a phone would not work because it was not been scanned which is ridiculous.
    As for "someone visiting me" I think that is even more outrageous! What's ST going to do send the FBI to my house because I unknowingly bought what is perceived to be a stolen phone? One of the ST reps told me the phone might have been activated but then returned and until I get the original owner to cancel or call them they won't be able to do anything. I still don't understand how the whole cash register activation process works....someone please explain that to me. Can't i just go to walmart and get them to scan my phone? will that activate it?
    Many retailers treat prepaid phones the same way they treat prepaid wireless refill cards. They are simply on a hook in the store. If you do not pass them through the cash register at checkout, they are useless. You incur the same problems if you purchase preprinted refill cards. Some stores such as 7-11 print them on the spot. Since the PIN is exposed, there is no way to tell if someone has already used the PIN until you try it when you purchase those instant refill cards from other than the retailer.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    When a ST phone is bought at Walmart, the cashier scans the phone into the computer system when purchased so that ST can identify the phone was paid for and not stolen. No scan at register = no activation.

You bought the phone off Craigslist with cash, you accepted the risk it may be hot. Sorry this happened, but always and forever remember if something seems to good to be true, it probably is. Best in this day and age to do all your business with a credit card so you will have some recourse in case of problems like this. That means eBay with a credit card if you wanna buy used stuff.

Is that even possible? Ebay is or was STRICTLY PayPal. Last time I checked you couldn't use a CC if you wanted to.
    And thats a Credit Card not a Debit Card. Banks have more recourse with CC fraud than with Debit Card fraud. Don't ask why, I guess its that DC it's just the working man getting robbed where with the CC it's the big bank getting robbed.

And you never know about that knock, it could be the KGB, Opera or Charlie Brown.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There are several options for payment through PayPal. You can use money already in your PayPal account balance, transfer from a linked bank account or through a credit or debit card.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using HowardForums

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Everyone seems to be piling on the OP but I feel bad for him/her. It sucks that there are such dishonest people in this world but unfortunately that is the case & this will have to be a learning experience.

It's also possible that this wasn't stolen from Walmart but was stolen from it's rightful owner and sold on CL. I don't know how ST handles lost/stolen CDMA phone's but if a phone is reported lost or stolen by a user to VZW or Sprint they blacklist the ESN/MEID.

Does the phone have any signs of being previous used like scratches or phone book entries or even call history? If there is a lifetime call timer is it at 0:00? I'm thinking the rightful owner lost the phone or had it stolen and probably reported it to ST who then had the MEID blacklisted by Sprint.

Feedback Score
    I bought a phone at wallyworld, and the cashier scanned it,and when i

Feedback Score
    I left the alarm still went off. when i returned, the alarm went off again.i can see how a phone could slip by the scanner, and the greeter lets it go cause theyre tired of it alwYs ringing.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Those are separate phenomena. The scanning they are taking about in this thread is where the cashier enters the barcode for the serial number in its records. The alarm that you set off simply means that the inventory control tag was not deactivated. I bought a pair of athletic shoes at K-Mart when they had the self checkout service. The alarm would go off when I left several stores. Finally a cashier at Home Depot deactivated the tag which was under the lining in the sole of the left shoe.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dynastyy View Post
    This part is a little ridiculous. I've been buying and selling on craigslist and ebay for probably 6 or 7 years. I've never once had an issue. The stories you hear are the nightmares. Think about all the deals that go on that are successful and you never hear about. Ebay for one over protects the consumer, almost unfairly, where the sellers are most at risk.
    It's all on your experience, but I know people who have been burned on eBay and CL, while I'm not saying people don't get burned on Amazon, I am saying I have never been.
    I put it the way I see it, as I said there is another post here in HoFo of a member who recently got burned on a ST phone from CL, All I'm saying is be careful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast