Telus Galaxy S2 (T989D) Ultimate Root and Optimization Guide with Steps
Telus Galaxy S2X (T989D) Ultimate Root and Optimization Guide with Steps
Originally posted on Android Forums
*Our device is identical to the T-Mobile Galaxy S2X (T989) but there are a few minor differences you need to know when rooting and loading roms/kernels/modems.
Here is a comprehensive and user-friendly guide to rooting your Telus S2X. Included is also some tips to roms, kernels and things to improve battery life.
*Please ensure you follow the steps as laid out here. Failure to do so may mean you may break your device. If this happens, you can always flash back the original rom and fix your mistake. I take no responsibility if you screw up your phone but would be happy to help.
Adopted from Melvin's XDA thread (big thanks goes to Melvin!)
1. You will need these 4 files before proceeding:
T989 USB Drivers (Windows only)
Clockmod Recovery for T989 (flash with Odin)
2. Install, unzip the USB drivers and install them on your computer
3. On your phone, go to SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>DEVELOPMENT Check USB Debugging
4. Now plug in your phone and a menu will come up asking if you want to mount as a USB drive. Select it and copy the SuperUser zip to usbStorage folder on the internal drive (really anywhere is fine but I will keep it simple here and select a folder)
5. Unmount your phone and unplug it from the computer.
6. Now, unzip Odin file and open the folder. Inside it will be the Odin app. Launch Odin but do NOT connect the phone yet
7. To flash with Odin (which is a Samsung Testing application) you will need to boot your phone into DOWNLOAD mode. To do this, do the following:
POWER OFF. Then HOLD VOLUME DOWN and keep pressing it and then press power. It will boot you into the following screen. Press UP to confirm you want to flash
*This is different for us Telus users. T-Mobile have to press both buttons and then connect
8. Now, you can connect your phone to your computer. Wait for odin com port to turn YELLOW before proceeding
9. On ODIN, Select the PDA button and browse to the recovery.tar. Make sure Re-Partition is NOT checked (it shouldn't be). Now press start and let it flash the custom recovery. It should say PASS once finished. Close Odin.
10. Next, disconnect your phone. Power it off. We will now need to get into the new recovery module you flashed. To do this press both VOLUME UP AND DOWN and hold them. Then press power and wait till it boots-don't keep holding power. Once you see the recovery screen let go of the volume buttons immediately. Sometimes, I am not fast enough and the phone reboots. If this happens HOLD the VOLUME buttons again and repeat the process.
You should see something like this:
11. Using your volume buttons, navigate down to BACKUP and RESTORE. Choose NANDROID BACKUP.
*To make a selection press the POWER button (it acts as a return key). This will create a complete backup of your stock phone in case something goes wrong. If it does, you can always boot back into recovery and choose RESTORE from the BACKUP and RESTORE menu. Nice huh! Don't skip this step or you will be sorry.
12. Once the backup is complete, navigate down to "GO BACK..". Once back at the main menu, choose INSTALL ZIP FROM SDCARD. Select CHOOSE ZIP FROM INTERNAL SDCARD. Navigate down to the usbStorage folder and select the su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip file. Go to main menu and reboot system.
You are now rooted!
This means you have full access to system files and is like jailbreaking on an iPhone. You should have a superuser app installed. If not, you are not rooted.
Hope this was helpful to people. Feel free to donate if you wish (see my sig)
Stock Telus Goodies
PS. Rooting will void warranty but it is reversible. If you need return it use Odin to flash back the stock rom with one from XDA or use the one on my server below.
Telus S2X Stock Items
Telus S2X Stock T989DTLKJ3 Rom and Recovery (to get back to original state)
*Thanks to Przekret from XDA!
1. To install the stock rom file you will need to first extract it. Use the password above
2. Launch Odin. Press PDA and Select the stock recovery file (tar.md5 file) folder you extracted. Make sure re-partition is NOT selected
3. Restart your phone in download mode as before and wait for the yellow com
4. Press Start and flash back the phone to original state
How to flash the modem using Odin *RESERVED. NO NEW MODEM YET. DO NOT USE T-MOBILE MODEMS!!:
1. Ensure USB debugging is checked in settings>applications>development
2. Put the phone into download mode (see above)
3. Launch Odin. Make sure to check ONLY PHONE not PDA and load the modem.bin file. (see pic)
4. Connect your phone and wait for the yellow com signal. Then flash away
Last edited by Blue1k; 12-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Follow me on twitter @Blue1k...thephonecollector