Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk's $30 unlimited plan is fictional

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk's $30 unlimited plan is fictional

About a week ago, Straight Talk offered a limited time $30 unlimited plan on certain handsets. I bought one and activated it. In order to get the $30.00 plan on a monthly basis, you have to enroll in auto-pay. That's where it becomes fictional.

Straight Talk will not enroll me in auto-pay. If I go on the web-site and attempt to do so, I get an error message that says to call Customer Service. I tried several times.

Then I called Customer Service. I spoke with a total of five different agents. Each one asked me for the same information (my phone #, DOB, credit card #, etc.), and then said that there was a problem and that they were transferring me to "Tier 2" support. I was supposedly transferred to "Tier 2 Support" 4 times. When I explained that I had already been transferred to "Tier 2" support, they assured me that the next department would definitely be the one who could resolve the problem. After the last such assurance, I was transferred to a recording that said that all agents were busy and I should call back later.

I then called Straight Talk's Executive Office #. I spoke with an agent for over an hour. After the agent put me on hold, came back, put me on hold, came back, put me on hold, came back, etc., repeatedly, she was also unable to enroll me in auto pay.

So, here I am with a $30 unlimited plan that requires auto-refill, but there's no way to actually enroll in auto-refill.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    wow dude, that sucks! I'm hoping ST didn't pull a "bait and switch" tactic. Also hoping you documented the special offer somehow. Was anyone out there able to auto-refill their account for the promo price of $30 for unlimited everything for 1 year? Please let this guy know how you did it!!

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Even worse, they had us enter something into the phone, and now it doesn't work. When I asked them to fix the problem, they told me that I have to physically drive the phone back to the zip code of activation before they can do any kind of troubleshooting. This makes no sense, since we're only a few miles away from the zip code of activation. These are mobile phones that can be used all over the country. What do they tell people who are on vacation, or travelling? "Sorry your phone doesn't work. Call us back when you get home."??

The person that I was speaking with claimed to be the highest level manager of the call center in Miami. According to her, nobody on the planet has the power to do any kind of troubleshooting until the phone goes back to the zip code of activation.

I'm pretty accustomed to crappy customer service, but this really takes the cake!

Phones
    Blackberry BOld
    Apple iPhone
    Motorola Pebl
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You expected better from Walmart?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Now, she's telling me that she CAN diagnose my phone from my current location, but only if I allow her to change my phone number. Since I ported my # in, I assume she's just making this stuff up at this point.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Wow that sucks. They lose nothing over this "Unlimited" plan on a dumbphone. You can hardly use a few hundred MBs on that thing and its on T-Mobile as well.

Feedback Score
    yeah, and at this point they're simply coming up with excuses. ST should teach their reps to be HONEST to its customers instead of telling made up LIES. A simple: "I'm sorry but I don't know why your experiencing such an issue. The only remedy would be to set you up with a new number/sim" would suffice and save us from wasting our time with pointless callbacks!

Oh well... as the saying goes: You get what you pay for. LoL.

Feedback Score
    When I talked to them about it, I had purchased my phone 1 day too early to qualify.. but he said you had to call in BEFORE activating it to activate it and set up auto-refill at the same time.

Feedback Score
    Net10 has this same offer http://offers.net10.com

No one on the Net10/Tracfone forum is reporting the problem with auto-enroll that you are reporting.

Feedback Score
    I don't care what the offer is. I'm not giving ST my credit card num. I'm also not going to make a long term commitment to them. One month at a time is all I need and want.

Just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    This is a perfect example of ST customer service. The same thing happened to me when I tried to port in to ST with the E71. They transferred me 10x and said even to "managers." None of them knew how to port a number in. Finally after 3 hours of calls and 1 week, some lady in the Miami office figured out how to do it. She had to call their technical support office and they had to lead her through the process.

Of you can try their facebook page. Either way I hate calling ST customer service. And why do they need your SSN? They are prepaid all they should need is your name.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I have had good luck with Straight Talk's facebook page

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I finally reached someone who was able to resolve the issue, by using Straight Talk's e-mail address from their web-site. They explained that my account had no expiration date set and that you can't enroll in auto-refill until your account has an expiration date.

I also learned something very important: The 800 number that's going around as "Executive Customer Service" is no longer really executive customer service in Miami.

They do answer the phone by claiming that they are "executive resolutions" and they say that they are in Miami, but the calls all have the same highly compressed digital audio as when you call the overseas numbers. They all, without exception, lack basic English proficiencies and make mistakes that are common to non-native speakers (like mixing up "of" and "from" - which are often the same word in other languages). I finally even got one of them to admit that they weren't really in the Miami office.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    they say that they are in Miami
    Ahm, I'm just curious... have you ever been to Miami? From your explanation, you may have been calling an office in South Florida.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marksatterfield View Post
    Ahm, I'm just curious... have you ever been to Miami? From your explanation, you may have been calling an office in South Florida.
    LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast