Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transfer the plan and keep the number

Feedback Score

Transfer the plan and keep the number

I consider to switch to pp. However, the phone number I have with VM is 10 years old. What's more, one of my friends really wants the $25 grandfather plan I have. Is there a way to keep the number and transfer the plan?

Unless VM provides some better phones than optimus in the near future, I am so tired of it.

Feedback Score
    Transferring the number to another provider, even Google Voice, will close the VM account, thus losing the grandfathered plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidng150 View Post
    Transferring the number to another provider, even Google Voice, will close the VM account, thus losing the grandfathered plan.
    Right, that's my understanding as well. I guess it is just impossible to have the cake and eat it too.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    You might be able to do this if you create a second account.

1. Buy a Paylo phone (or pull one of your old non-BT phones out of storage) and use it to open a Paylo account with a new number. Top it up with the minimum you can get away with.

2. Call CS and have a rep swap the numbers between your two accounts. Tell the rep nothing about your plans, other than that your needs have changed.

3. Port out from the Paygo account that has your old number. Give the $25 account with the new number to your friend.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post

1. Buy a Paylo phone (or pull one of your old non-BT phones out of storage) and use it to open a Paylo account with a new number. Top it up with the minimum you can get away with.

2. Call CS and have a rep swap the numbers between your two accounts. Tell the rep nothing about your plans, other than that your needs have changed.

3. Port out from the Paygo account that has your old number. Give the $25 account with the new number to your friend.
    I never thought about doing that. Has swapping numbers worked for anyone?

I've wanted to port my number to Google Voice but didn't want to lose my $25 plan.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using HowardForums
    GS3 T999 on T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried this? I don't plan on switching at the moment, but I've had the same number for 12 years so it's good info to have for the future.

Carrier
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it will work.

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just did this. Bought a $14.99 paylo phone and $10 topup card. Activated the paylo phone and added the $10 topup card. Called VM and asked them to swap the numbers between the paylo and beyond talk. Then reprogrammed the phones with the numbers once they were switched. Sold my beyond talk plan on ebay and once the minutes are used up on the paylo, I'll port the number over to Tmobile prepaid.

Fort

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile FTW!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    I just did this. Bought a $14.99 paylo phone and $10 topup card. Activated the paylo phone and added the $10 topup card. Called VM and asked them to swap the numbers between the paylo and beyond talk. Then reprogrammed the phones with the numbers once they were switched. Sold my beyond talk plan on ebay and once the minutes are used up on the paylo, I'll port the number over to Tmobile prepaid.

Fort
    Off topic: How much did you get on eBay? Looking to sell my plan soon.

HTC: Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Sensation
    Samsung: Moment, Intercept, Galaxy Note 2
    LG: Optimus V, Optimus Slider
    Tablets: Nook, Iconia Tab, Nexus 7

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Started the auction off for .99 cents. The plan sold for a little over $100. Of course paypal knocks you for 3% or so and then ebay hits you up for about 9-10%. Even with all the fees, I was surprised the plan sold for over $100. I was going to be happy if I got $50.

Fort

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post

I try to duplicate the same thing, twice thru the VM customer service, and both times they told me they can't do it. They said if I do it, I will lose the $25 plan. They just can't swap the numbers for me. I wasted the money on the paylo phone and the top up card.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    cdcooker,

You might try again. The first time I called, they said the couldn't switch number. The next time I called the guy said they could by using a temporary number. He was able to transfer the numbers between the paylo and the beyond talk account. I'd keep trying if you really want to keep your number.

Fort

Feedback Score
    I called at least 7 times, and all of them said my $25 beyond talk plan will be cancelled and I have to reactivated a new one, which will be $35. I even mentioned the using of a temporary number. None of them let me swap my number. Looks like I wasted the money on the $15 LG paylo phone and $10 paylo top up card.

Feedback Score
    Any luck? Can you tell use what exactly to say to get the customer service rep to swap the numbers b/c the ones i got said they cant

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    is there any way that you can get two phone numbers onto one account? i doubt you can since the VM accounts are basically our phone numbers, but if there was somehow to merge two accounts into one, then you'd be able to port out a number and still have the other one with the grandfathered plan to sell....wishful thinking lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast