Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GSM SIM and Minutes for Home Security System

Feedback Score

GSM SIM and Minutes for Home Security System

I'm looking for any help or recommendations in purchasing a GSM SIM and minutes that are good for full year. I only need $10-20 worth of minutes as the system only dials when needed and for maintenance testing.

Are there any carriers out there? I have a Simple Mobile working SIM but their plans are monthly and to costly for my needs.

I've also seen Go-Sim offers SIM and $10 in minutes but doesn't list how long the minutes are valid for.

Any info appreciated.

John

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

A little more information might be helpful. Does the system only use SMSes? Or voice only? A little more info about the unit the SIM will go into might be interesting to the viewrers of this thread.

Feedback Score
    My system allows GSM SIMS or landline. I have a Simple Mobile SIM but their monthly rates aren't cost effective. I have verizon as my cell provider but they don't support GSM. I have contacted G0-Sim but have not received anything back from them as of last evening.

Not sure where to go as I prefer the SIM/Cellular connection as the alarm system will dial my cell or neighbor in the event of a break-in or trouble in the house. I leave in rural area where police coverage is sparse.

I may look into a magicjack connection if I can't find a cell carrier that offers a small amount of minutes or $10-20 that are at least valid for 1 year.

John

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres32 View Post
    My system allows GSM SIMS or landline. I have a Simple Mobile SIM but their monthly rates aren't cost effective. I have verizon as my cell provider but they don't support GSM. I have contacted G0-Sim but have not received anything back from them as of last evening.

Not sure where to go as I prefer the SIM/Cellular connection as the alarm system will dial my cell or neighbor in the event of a break-in or trouble in the house. I leave in rural area where police coverage is sparse.

I may look into a magicjack connection if I can't find a cell carrier that offers a small amount of minutes or $10-20 that are at least valid for 1 year.

John
    Most alarm communicators will NOT work with VOIP.

I also don't think you can get a provider with a 1 year expiry for 10-20 dollars. That's way to little for you to be of any value to the carrier.

Trac Phone may be an option but I think the SIM will be locked to the phone so it won't work.

T-Mobile has pay per usage and once you hit 100.00 in purchases you become a gold member and all future purchases have a 1 year expiration. H2O has a 10 dollar, 90 day plan.

Carriers
    Talk For Good
    Truphone personal
    Feedback Score

considered Tru?

A Truphone SIM will work on T-Mobile, roam on AT&T as backup. No expiration date however a billable event (voice usage or outgoing SMS) is required within 90 days or $3.00 per month will be deducted from the balance. Last I knew voice was $0.17 per minute (rounded to the second), outgoing TXT @ $0.12 (incoming TXT is no charge).
    Last edited by boomerang86; 12-23-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: checked current rates

Feedback Score
    Spot mobile works on both Att and Tmobile as well as local regional gsm carriers . They are a minimum of $5 for 90 days. No year plans but go four times $5 and its 360 days at $20 and 200 minutes at 10 cents a minute.

Can't go much lower then that for that long...

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for the info, I will check into the Spot Mobile as that seems to be the least expensive for a year.

Carriers
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for the info, I will check into the Spot Mobile as that seems to be the least expensive for a year.
    If your system dials out at least once every 90 days, (and you have either ATT or T-Mo signal where this is needed) TruSIM may be less expensive in the long term and has no refill date to worry about. I have one as a backup phone.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The TruSIM costs $30 upfront though, which I don't think includes any minutes. Other than that it does look like a great deal.

Feedback Score
    I think Tru gives you $15 credit when you buy the sim. If the OP needs "$10-20 worth of minutes" (100-200 minutes per year???), then that seems like much more than just one call every 90 days.

Feedback Score
    John, I'm interested in the same type of thing, and I already have a T-mo sim with gold rewards status. What alarm company are you using? My alarm system uses a landline, which is the only reason I haven't cut the cord.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlh1960 View Post
    John, I'm interested in the same type of thing, and I already have a T-mo sim with gold rewards status. What alarm company are you using? My alarm system uses a landline, which is the only reason I haven't cut the cord.
    Do you subscribe to a central station monitoring service?

There are also broadband solutions.

PM me and ill help you out if you want .

Sent from my EVO3D

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Spot Mobile is PERFECT for this type of activity. Voice/SMS only but $5 gets you 90 days ($20 for a whole year). Rates are pretty standard (10 cents talk, 5 cents SMS) best of all it will roam on AT&T, T-Mobile, and many other regional/small market GSM providers. Definitely the best deal. Tru SIM would be my next recommendation, but you have a $30 up-front investment for the SIM and the usage is more expensive. Also Tru works ONLY on AT&T or T-Mobile you won't get the additional small-market coverage Spot offers. Depending on your location that may or may not matter to you.

Carriers
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    Spot Mobile is PERFECT for this type of activity. Voice/SMS only but $5 gets you 90 days ($20 for a whole year). Rates are pretty standard (10 cents talk, 5 cents SMS) best of all it will roam on AT&T, T-Mobile, and many other regional/small market GSM providers. Definitely the best deal. Tru SIM would be my next recommendation, but you have a $30 up-front investment for the SIM and the usage is more expensive. Also Tru works ONLY on AT&T or T-Mobile you won't get the additional small-market coverage Spot offers. Depending on your location that may or may not matter to you.
    One correction: Tru gives you $15 of airtime with the sim. And one additional point: Tru airtime doesn't expire, so the OP doesn't have to worry about refilling every 90 days. Yes, Tru would only would make sense if the intended location has decent AT&T or T-Mo signal.

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles TRU best route??

I think that TRU might be the better option because it will last a long time and you can check its balance online. You have the option of auto or manual refill which puts you in control. 17 cents per minute, with calls less than 30 seconds only costing 9 cents. 166 calls of less than 30 seconds might be especially good for you. TRU works on AT&T and T-Mobile. That is better than AT&T and T-Mobile can say about their own product!

And essentially no expiration problems excepts balances, if it makes a few calls a month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast